The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Winning the games they're supposed to win

luongomyhero1

The Vancouver Canucks have won 3 straight to begin the season. However, this is against weak western Canadian teams. The sedins an Vrbata have been exceptional and have scored 2 goals in each game. However, there hasnt been enough depth scoring. 50% of th teams scoring has been by Hank and Vrbata. Theres going to be games where they dont score 2 a game and the depth is going to have to step up. They have their biggest test of the year tm night against Tampa, and we can see if we belong in conversations with other playoff teams.

If we can win the games were supposed to win, and squeeze out a few against the rest of the Western powerhouses. and win against the weaker eastern conference. We may have a shot at squeaking through into a wild card spot.

JB did a great job at a quick retool!

The Vancouver Canucks have won 3 straight to begin the season. However, this is against weak western Canadian teams. The sedins an Vrbata have been exceptional and have scored 2 goals in each game. However, there hasnt been enough depth scoring. 50% of th teams scoring has been by Hank and Vrbata. Theres going to be games where they dont score 2 a game and the depth is going to have to step up. They have their biggest test of the year tm night against Tampa, and we can see if we belong in conversations with other playoff teams.

If we can win the games were supposed to win, and squeeze out a few against the rest of the Western powerhouses. and win against the weaker eastern conference. We may have a shot at squeaking through into a wild card spot.

JB did a great job at a quick retool!

I agree, we seem to be a one line team a lot like last year. The difference is that the first line last year looked human. This year they look like they're poised to be one of the best lines in the league. The biggest problem with this team is that we have no real second line at all and our third line so far has little chemistry. I think the Sedins and Vrbata have the potential to carry us into the playoffs so long as our second PP unit can pot a few goals along the way. However, we are one Sedin injury away from being a bottom 10 team in the league. I think Henriks low Offensive faceoff deployment will remain because we simply have no one else reliable to shoulder that load. Torts wasn't nearly as incompetent as people made him out to be, he just had the wrong way of approaching players.

3 wins,, plan the parade the route,lol wait till the 10 and 20 game mark 3 games and one being off a 5 day lay off between games doesn't judge the season. what I have seen so far imo we don't have enough foot speed , it looks like we have a first line and 3 3rd lines , kassian looks lost out there and vey is willies rome (jk)

Our second line doesn't really have the personnel to generate consistently. Burrows has been playing like a man on a mission to prove that he's still a relevant player without the Sedins and I think he's been the most consistent guy on that line. Bonino's been ok. For me, Higgins is the weakest link on this line for me. He's a great depth player but his consistent goal scoring days are behind him. We need a guy who can net 20+ goals comfortably, the only time Higgins has done that was back in 2008.

Would be interesting to see Shinkaruk, who's got a great shot with Bonino and Burrows, both decent playmakers.

Kassian and Vey are doing pretty well together. I think they have the potential to be a second line. A little more confidence, experience and the right C, someone more offensively minded then Richardson and they could knock the current second line down to third line.

Richardson is defensively responsible, making him the right guy for Kassian and Vey at the moment. But so is Horvat, who has a little more playmaking ability just not as experienced so he could trigger a spark or a meltdown in that line. It was too bad Horvat missed the first 3 games against weak teams, it would have been nice to see where he could fit in without him being a potential liability.

Miller will certainly be a big factor to our success if we can't start generating secondary scoring.

Ahhh yes...memories of the Northwest Division of days gone by.

OP's right. These are the games the Canucks have to win, and they are. That's a good thing. Team has just gone through the longest training camp in its history, so it shall be interesting to see how this team really stacks up in the WC.

See, you fooled me. I started reading and thought, "clearly the OP isn't happy with the way were playing and thinks we'll get exposed against good teams," and then you threw in the curve ball at the end that you think we might do well.

Our second line doesn't really have the personnel to generate consistently. Burrows has been playing like a man on a mission to prove that he's still a relevant player without the Sedins and I think he's been the most consistent guy on that line. Bonino's been ok. For me, Higgins is the weakest link on this line for me. He's a great depth player but his consistent goal scoring days are behind him. We need a guy who can net 20+ goals comfortably, the only time Higgins has done that was back in 2008.

Would be interesting to see Shinkaruk, who's got a great shot with Bonino and Burrows, both decent playmakers.

Kassian and Vey are doing pretty well together. I think they have the potential to be a second line. A little more confidence, experience and the right C, someone more offensively minded then Richardson and they could knock the current second line down to third line.

Richardson is defensively responsible, making him the right guy for Kassian and Vey at the moment. But so is Horvat, who has a little more playmaking ability just not as experienced so he could trigger a spark or a meltdown in that line. It was too bad Horvat missed the first 3 games against weak teams, it would have been nice to see where he could fit in without him being a potential liability.

Miller will certainly be a big factor to our success if we can't start generating secondary scoring.

lmao-o.gif

stopped reading after that

Guest Cuporbust2

It must be terrible to be an oiler fan right now .. Im sure they thought this was their year too ..

Man the first ten games mean nothing. It still might be their year

Man the first ten games mean nothing. It still might be their year

In the middle of the season no one really blinks at a a three game winning or losing streak. When it's the first three it somehow means the start of a Stanley Cup run or the team's total collapse.

No offense to the OP, but which teams should we beat? The reason I have an issue with this is because it is something certain media clowns spew on a regular basis. The claim we are not a Playoff team, yet we should still automatically beat all the "lower tier" teams; even teams on the rise who were bad for many seasons. Every season it is the same thing.

We will lose to bad teams and we will beat good teams. It is not proof that we are terrible or that we are great. Down the stretch is where we will make or break.

I am not butthurt at all over this game. Tampa is a good team, and I feel the Canucks matched up well. We outshot them 32-24 and had a number of great scoring chances and posts. Switch goalies and we probably come up with the win in this one.

Very entertaining hockey. At the end of the day I watch hockey to be entertained, as much as I love to see my team win it isn't everything.

We are lucky to have EDM and CAL in our division...and yes we need to win those games. I do question the coaching decision to play Miller in all three and then not Tampa though. If he feels he needs our number one goalie rested for the good teams (Tampa is one of those) then play Lack in the third game so he can start Miller in Tampa....

That is unless he is protecting Miller and padding his stats. Don't know why he needs a rest yet....

That said Lack played well. I hope this doesn't become a pattern though (using Miller against the patsy's and Lack for the better teams).

Archived