The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mac Pro or Air

Squamfan

I'm a Windows person, but if I were you, I would go with a Pro. They're more powerful, better looking, and absolute beasts when it comes to doing work. Fork out the extra few hundred bucks and go with the Pro.

Unless of course he's just going to be browsing or doing basic stuff and would prefer the light weight and extra portability of the Air, or he could just save a bunch of money and buy a regular laptop.

No idea what he needs it for though, he neglected to put any info into his OP to give us some criteria to go on.

Will you be needing to use excel? Don't get an air. Maybe the people I know with them just got crappy machines but it was always crazy slow every time I saw them using it. I've never had an issue with it on my macbook pro. It works just as well as it does on my PC. I'm not even remotely saying you should get a pro if you need to use excel. Just don't get an air. You'd probably be further ahead to just get a PC unless there is some reason you need a mac or you just really hate windows.

I started out with Macs, went to Windows for a decade. Got sick of spending more time maintaining my computer than I did on my motorcycle. Went back to a Mac and I've been happy ever since.

As others have said it depends what you use it for. If you just want browsing or simple usage. Air. If you want to run serious applications, go Pro.

I have a MacBook Pro. It's worth every penny.

MacBook Air only if you're strictly using Word Processor (ie Microsoft Word, Pages, TextEdit, Notes, etc.) and web browsing/watching Youtube videos and movies... Otherwise, go with the Pro. I've got the 2011 version of the MBP and it's still running smoothly and fast. Not as fast as it was before but I have had no complaints to this day.

I have iMac for work and Air for portability. Works well for me but if I didn't have the desktop for doing serious heavy duty work, I would have gone with MBP for sure. Air is great, especially for travel or even going to coffee shop in the morning (grab your Air and go) but if I were to do some heavy duty work, I often notice that the app would freeze.

Archived