The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Vancouver Giant and Bruins star Milan Lucic confirms his father has died

rip Dobrivoje Lucic

Vancouver-born Boston Bruins player Milan Lucic has confirmed his father died earlier this week.

“I learned on Wednesday, April 22, that my father passed away unexpectedly in Vancouver,” he wrote on the Bruins’ website Saturday of his father Dobrivoje Lucic.

“My family and I am very grateful for the outpouring of support from the hockey community, friends and fans from around the world.

“We kindly ask everyone to respect our privacy during this difficult and sad time.”

The 26-year-old left winger played with the Vancouver Giants for three seasons, before he was selected 50th overall in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

During the 2007-08 season, he cracked the Bruins’ roster at the age of 19, and three years later, helped the team to a Stanley Cup championship.

Lucic’s father was a longshoreman who emigrated from Yugoslavia at the age of 27.

Bruins president Cam Neely also shared his condolences with the Lucic family.

“On behalf of the Jacobs family and the entire Boston Bruins organization, I would like to express our deepest condolences to Milan and his family on the passing of his father, Dobro,” the statement read.

“Our thoughts will be with the Lucic family during his time, and we will be here to offer the support in any way that we can.”

As much as people may dislike a player, Death is the ultimate loss..There is bigger issues than hockey. I lost my dad 4 years ago and still have a tough time dealing with it, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Hope Milan get's through this.. Your dad raised a great hockey player. RIP.

Archived