The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coach's Challenge Approved

ftmN

Coach's Challenge

1. A team may only request a Coach's Challenge to review the following scenarios:

a) "Off-Side" Play Leading to a Goal. A play that results in a "GOAL" call on the ice where the defending team asserts that the play should have been stopped by reason of an "Off-Side" infraction by the attacking team.

b ) Scoring Plays Involving Potential "Interference on the Goalkeeper"

(i) A play that results in a "GOAL" call on the ice where the defending team asserts that the goal should have been disallowed due to "Interference on the Goalkeeper," as described in Rules 69.1, 69.3 and 69.4; or

(ii) A play that results in a "NO GOAL" call on the ice despite the puck having entered the net, where the on-ice Officials have determined that the attacking team was guilty of "Interference on the Goalkeeper" but where the attacking team asserts: (i) there was no actual contact of any kind initiated by an attacking Player with the goalkeeper; or (ii) the attacking Player was pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending Player causing the attacking Player to come into contact with the goalkeeper; or (iii) the attacking Player's positioning within the goal crease did not impair the goalkeeper's ability to defend his goal and, in fact, had no discernible impact on the play.

2. A team may only request a Coach's Challenge if they have their time-out available and the Coach's Challenge must be effectively initiated prior to the resumption of play.

3. If the Coach's Challenge does not result in the original call on the ice being overturned, the team exercising such challenge will forfeit its time-out.

4. If the Coach's Challenge does result in the call on the ice being overturned, the team successfully exercising such challenge will retain its time-out.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771976&navid=DL|NHL|home

about time!!

The National Hockey League Board of Governors today approved rules changes for the 2015-16 season that will change the overtime format to 3-on-3 for five minutes, expand the use of video review to include a Coach's Challenge within a limited scope of scenarios and amend face-off protocol.

Could you imagine if a team used a time-out because they needed a tying goal in the dying minutes, and then the team scores but it's waived off because of "goalie interference" when there wasn't any. Now they can't challenge it because they burned their time out

I guess it would be the same as before, but now teams will have to use their timeouts wisely... or strategically.

I don't think I agree with with teams losing their timeout if their challenge isn't won, but I guess it will essentially be a 2nd timeout, looking forward to seeing it next season.

Awesome. I like it. Not overcomplicated. Are they starting with the AHL first then implementing it in the NHL in 16/17?

No

LAS VEGAS – The National Hockey League Board of Governors today approved rules changes for the 2015-16 season that will change the overtime format to 3-on-3 for five minutes, expand the use of video review to include a Coach's Challenge within a limited scope of scenarios and amend face-off protocol.

Could you imagine if a team used a time-out because they needed a tying goal in the dying minutes, and then the team scores but it's waived off because of "goalie interference" when there wasn't any. Now they can't challenge it because they burned their time out

I guess it would be the same as before, but now teams will have to use their timeouts wisely... or strategically.

I wouldn't mind seeing an auto-look in the final minute of the 3rd period. I wouldn't mind seeing an extra challenge (but not timeout) given in O.T. in the playoffs, unless they will auto-look at every close play in O.T.

So does that mean 1 challenge per game? or does it mean if you challenge and are successful, that you get to keep your timeout and challenge again? as opposed to keeping your timeout and only being able to call it later in the game.

Clear as mud? I didn't read that one way or the other from that article.

So does that mean 1 challenge per game? or does it mean if you challenge and are successful, that you get to keep your timeout and challenge again? as opposed to keeping your timeout and only being able to call it later in the game.

Clear as mud? I didn't read that one way or the other from that article.

You can only challenge if you still have your timeout available.

If you challenge and win, you keep your timeout, and you can challenge.

If you challenge and lose, you lose your timeout, and can no longer make challenges.

They should make it more interesting.....if a coach submits a challenge and loses, they shouldn't lose their time out.

Instead they should be assessed a 2 minute penalty for Delay of Game.

That way a coach can make as many challenges as he wants....but will only use them if he's fairly certain he has a grievance.

They should make controversial plays that lead to a goal (such as a supposed offside or goalie interference) in the last two minutes of the third period. Make it like the NFL. And any play in OT is reviewable in which it results in a goal. But I agree with everything else the NHL inputted with the coach's challenge.

I think they should raise the bar.

I like the coaches challenge here as proposed.

Allow a 2knd or subsequent challenges as well. Once your timeout is gone (from a challenge or otherwise) the cost is a 2 min minor if your challenge is not held up!

I think they should raise the bar.

I like the coaches challenge here as proposed.

Allow a 2knd or subsequent challenges as well. Once your timeout is gone (from a challenge or otherwise) the cost is a 2 min minor if your challenge is not held up!

Yah I like this idea.

They should make it more interesting.....if a coach submits a challenge and loses, they shouldn't lose their time out.

Instead they should be assessed a 2 minute penalty for Delay of Game.

That way a coach can make as many challenges as he wants....but will only use them if he's fairly certain he has a grievance.

or this too.. where it doesn't take the time out. No team is going to use their time outs then, I think.

Only problem I see is if the ref's make bad calls or do not like a team then this won't work.I am all for it but now you are giving teams and fans more the complain about which I don't like at all like the shoot out!

yah but if it's being reviewed.. and the play is obvious, even if the ref dislikes the team, he'd still have to make the right call or he would look like a complete ass.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived