The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

I am very excited to see Jasek 6'1, 21 -195 , continue to surprise Canaucks management with his skill and speed.. Had a great start in Utica getting a point a game even though he only played 7 games...

Wingers that are high prospect with no NHL games...

Top 5 wingers - Never added Pettersson as he might become a centre...

1. Dahlen 2. Jasek 3. Lind 4. Gadjovich 5. Lockwood

Very good depth coming very very soon...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/07/2018 at 4:38 PM, wildcam said:

I am very excited to see Jasek 6'1, 21 -195 , continue to surprise Canaucks management with his skill and speed.. Had a great start in Utica getting a point a game even though he only played 7 games...

Not really a prospect now but what about...

Gaunce ????

Why not? Play him where he can attack the net and I think we will see a different type of player. Willie always said a prospect should learn a good defensive game as a foundation for offence, well I think Gaunce has done that admirably - time to see the offence.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

On 11/07/2018 at 8:38 AM, wildcam said:

Think you missed Palmu.  And my guess is he could slot in 3rd or 4th on that list.  

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I agree. Gaunce has shown good offensive ability an an AHL top-6er. I’d like to see him get some opportunities at the NHL level playing with skilled linemates and with some offensive zone starts. At least for a few games, just to see what he can manage with that kind of usage. He’s proven himself a very capable defensive player, but he still might have more to offer (if given the chance).

Back to Jašek though, he’s definitely my dark horse to force his way into the Canucks lineup (and force a trade to accommodate the spot). It’s a longshot, but he’s a very motivated kid and I expect him to really kill it during camp/preseason. Still betting he’ll be in Utica, but let’s just say it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s one of our most impressive youngsters this year.

Well you've been right about him so far! so why not. 

Jasek is in the lineup next year!

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, pmalina said:

So today I met Lukas (who was happily surprised to see a fan of Vancouver) on the Czech national team camp...

That's great, thanks.  Anything much from your conversation, especially since you speak the same language?  And speaking of, how's his English doing?  Does he look like he's grown to a legit 6'1 184?

SID has done a great job documenting his progress, but it's kindof hard to get a read as it seems he wasn't put into a prime offensive role nor had significant numbers, yet he comes to Utica and looks like a potentially productive player right away.  The skating and high-motor are definitely going to get noticed at camp.  Jasek, Gaudette, Palmu, Lockwood, Madden, Lind, Zhukenov -- we're getting a good number of these kind of players.

• Upvote 2

@pmalina: thanks for the interview and translation, I hadn’t read that one before.

Fits with much of what I’ve seen and heard, but nice to get the story “straight from the horse’s mouth.”

You could tell he was stagnating in Trinec, and that the move to Liberec was really a godsend for his development.

Also fun to read that Jašek has a reputation as a “villain” with the Czech referees. I can attest to the fact that he plays hard and with a tonne of energy, and that he definitely has some pest/agitator traits, but didn’t realize that he quite carried that kind of reputation in Extraliga.

• Upvote 2

I have a good feeling about this kid and I think he is going to surprise a lot of people with his play. really liked the few glimpses we got to see of his play in Utica at the end of last season. It sucked that he got hurt and was not able to play vs the Marlies as he just might have made a difference.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

He is not quite there yet but the potential he displayed in Utica at the end of the season was very apparent. I am hoping he has a dominant injury free season in Utica this year so we can better judge where his ceiling might be. I agree with you that he does seem to be under most fans radar at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would actually like to see him take Lind's spot on the top line and move Lind down to Gaudette's wing

I am hoping that coach Cull juggles the lines a bit over the course of the game so we get to see how the different players perform on different line combinations, I like the idea of trying Jasek on a line with EP and JD to see how they mesh and then doing the same thing with Palmu.