J.I.A.H.N

Dallas trades Hemsky, Honka and 2016 1st

for

Vancouver's Vrbata and Hamhuis with 30% retained

The difference in value is $2,650,000 savings

Vancouver then has a approximate cap of $3,850,000

Vancouver then sign Cody Franson to a 1 yr bridge deal for $3,850,000

Why Vancouver does this.........

Vrbata enjoyed the benefits of playing with the Sedins, bolstering his goals per game

Hemsky will enjoy some of the same benefits and is 3 years younger

Burrows and Hemsky can platoon with the Sedins

Vancouver receives a highly touted prospect and a 1st round pick

While replacing Vrbata to some degree

Franson replaces Hamhuis and enjoys a home town discount

Why Dallas does this................

Vrbata vs Hemsky is a net +23 goals for the Stars

Hamhuis gives Dallas a very much needed top 3 defenseman

IMO Dallas improves by + net 35 goals and becomes a contender

Anyone care to burn and destroy? Flame on!

Dallas would not trade Honka at all for Hamhuis, there's no room for Hamhuis in Dallas especially with the likely chance that Oleksiak, Jokypakka, and Johns become top 8 regulars this season.

They signed Oduya, he's their Hamhuis-esque blueliner.

Goligoski-Klingberg

Oduya-Demers

Jokypakka-Nemeth

Jo. Benn-Oleksiak/Johns/Honka

Vrbata could very likely come that time be a slight upgrade over Hemsky, but not a move they probably will need to make to compete. They have the scoring depth now with adding Sharp and Brett Ritchie a year older.

Why dont we just trade Hamhuis and Vrbata to Anaheim at 50% retained for Theodore+1st and make them the instant favorites to win.

Perry-Getzlaf-Vrbata

Hagelin-Kesler-Silfverberg

Maroon-Cogliano-Stewart

Sekac-Santorelli-Rackell

Thompson-Horcoff

Fowler-Hamhuis

Lindholm-Vatenen

Bieksa-Stoner

Despres

And we can all watch former Canucks in Kesler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Vrbata and Santorelli win the Cup.

There is actually some merit to this trade proposal. The only thing will be timing. I doubt very much Dallas does this now...they've got too much young talent to look at on the blueline. So they wait. At TD2016 where they are in the standings may dictate their intent (like many teams obviously). Are they less than 8 points out? MAKE THE DEAL! Are they in or are they more than 8 points out? Stand pat...wait one more year. Dallas fans are pretty patient, they can see the future, and it's bright.

EDIT: And for the record the 2016 1st will need to change to a 2017 1st (I don't believe that under any circumstances will Dallas trade their 2016 high pick...2016 will be as deep as 2015 - no GEN talent - but just as deep).

Dallas would not trade Honka at all for Hamhuis, there's no room for Hamhuis in Dallas especially with the likely chance that Oleksiak, Jokypakka, and Johns become top 8 regulars this season.

They signed Oduya, he's their Hamhuis-esque blueliner.

Goligoski-Klingberg

Oduya-Demers

Jokypakka-Nemeth

Jo. Benn-Oleksiak/Johns/Honka

Vrbata could very likely come that time be a slight upgrade over Hemsky, but not a move they probably will need to make to compete. They have the scoring depth now with adding Sharp and Brett Ritchie a year older.

That's why the hamhuis trade is a deadline deal. If some of the young Dallas defencemen don't take another step, they will need to find a veteran dman (hammer) for a playoff push

That's why the hamhuis trade is a deadline deal. If some of the young Dallas defencemen don't take another step, they will need to find a veteran dman (hammer) for a playoff push

They aren't in any rush, Honka is the future of their D... Hemsky is barely good enough to play in this league anymore. This deal makes no sense for a team who were far from making it last year

I disagree with those that think Dallas will not be a good team this year.....I think that with the addition they have already made, they will be in the hunt for a playoff spot, with the exclusion of Hemsky and the inclusion of Vrbata and Hamhuis, they gain a lot of goals for, while Hamhuis will be a valuable addition to their defense........one would think his defense would prevent 10 less goals in the season, mean while the difference between Hemsky and Vrbata was 24 goals last season.

Last year, without Sharpe, the Stars were 261 GF 260 GA, add Vrbata and Hamhuis, and the table change considerably........with the trade.Dallas looks like 285 GF 250 GA, that's a difference of +34.....the Canucks were 8th OA in points and had a +22........+34 puts Dallas at in the top 6 OA

I think that makes them a contender......I think Dallas would pay that price

The additions of Niemi, Nichushkin(Injury), Sharp, and Oduya (also understand Johns is pretty good)

My bet is even without Hamhuis and Vrbata, the Stars add 12 to 14 points more than there 92 points last year.........

Like I said earlier........the addition of Hamhuis and Vrbata make them instant contenders..............

Now the other reason Dallas would look at this trade is the would get first crack at resigning Vrbata and Hamhuis............getting players on the last year of a contract, doesn't mean they can't be resigned......or traded before the draft to recover some later picks

Why dont we just trade Hamhuis and Vrbata to Anaheim at 50% retained for Theodore+1st and make them the instant favorites to win.

Perry-Getzlaf-Vrbata

Hagelin-Kesler-Silfverberg

Maroon-Cogliano-Stewart

Sekac-Santorelli-Rackell

Thompson-Horcoff

Fowler-Hamhuis

Lindholm-Vatenen

Bieksa-Stoner

Despres

And we can all watch former Canucks in Kesler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Vrbata and Santorelli win the Cup.

If that happened, the only ones that I would be happy for would be Bieksa and Hamhuis...the others fall into the who really gives a r@t$ @$$ about 'em anymore category.

You can count on Vrbata pulling an impersonation of the tin man from the Wizard of Oz as soon as the pay checks stop coming in at the end of the regular season.

True, but why not just sign a decent 2-way veteran blueliner in Meszaros, Gleason, or Hejda? Instead of giving up their top defensive prospect.

I actually think that this proposed trade has some merit with the exception of the first being included.

In my opinion, Vancouver's biggest needs are solid secondary scoring and an offensive d-man that can play a regular shift and not hurt the team defensively.

I think that Hamhuis for Hemsky is a wash, Hemsky has always had point a game potential but there always seems to be a lingering injury or something that keeps him from seeing it whereas Vrbata is a steady performer.

Honka may be the guy the Canucks need, he has the offense but I'm not really sure if he can handle a regular shift in the NHL but may be worth giving a chance.

Vancouver's need for secondary scoring isn't addressed for the long term but they would be could be adding a d-man unlike any others in their system right now. Subban, Hutton, etc may develop but will probably take a few more years than Honka at this point.

I don't really know what Dallas needs but if they really like Hamhuis and can extend him then they may be interested.

Dallas trades Hemsky, Honka and 2016 1st

for

Vancouver's Vrbata and Hamhuis with 30% retained

The difference in value is $2,650,000 savings

Vancouver then has a approximate cap of $3,850,000

Vancouver then sign Cody Franson to a 1 yr bridge deal for $3,850,000

Why Vancouver does this.........

Vrbata enjoyed the benefits of playing with the Sedins, bolstering his goals per game

Hemsky will enjoy some of the same benefits and is 3 years younger

Burrows and Hemsky can platoon with the Sedins

Vancouver receives a highly touted prospect and a 1st round pick

While replacing Vrbata to some degree

Franson replaces Hamhuis and enjoys a home town discount

Why Dallas does this................

Vrbata vs Hemsky is a net +23 goals for the Stars

Hamhuis gives Dallas a very much needed top 3 defenseman

IMO Dallas improves by + net 35 goals and becomes a contender

Anyone care to burn and destroy? Flame on!

Who's Honka? Is he a potential elite D? If he's not, then nope.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/julius-honka/

Talent Analysis

Honka is a slick, puck-moving defenseman. With a hard, accurate right-handed shot he is a threat from the point and is masterful on the powerplay unit. Honka can dominate in offensive situations, but also understands positional play. He handles physical play despite his lack of bulk and stature.

Future

Honka impressed at the Traverse City rookie tournament and in the Stars training camp before being assigned to AHL affiliate Texas to start the 2014-15 season. Making his North American pro debut as an 18-year-old, he has skated in every game for the defending AHL champions and has seen his role increased with the recall of John Klingberg. He was chosen to play for Finland in the 2015 World Juniors. Still a bit thin and undersized for the NHL level, his skills and instincts suggests he can be a top-four offensive defenseman as he grows and matures.

I disagree with those that think Dallas will not be a good team this year.....I think that with the addition they have already made, they will be in the hunt for a playoff spot, with the exclusion of Hemsky and the inclusion of Vrbata and Hamhuis, they gain a lot of goals for, while Hamhuis will be a valuable addition to their defense........one would think his defense would prevent 10 less goals in the season, mean while the difference between Hemsky and Vrbata was 24 goals last season.

Last year, without Sharpe, the Stars were 261 GF 260 GA, add Vrbata and Hamhuis, and the table change considerably........with the trade.Dallas looks like 285 GF 250 GA, that's a difference of +34.....the Canucks were 8th OA in points and had a +22........+34 puts Dallas at in the top 6 OA

I think that makes them a contender......I think Dallas would pay that price

The additions of Niemi, Nichushkin(Injury), Sharp, and Oduya (also understand Johns is pretty good)

My bet is even without Hamhuis and Vrbata, the Stars add 12 to 14 points more than there 92 points last year.........

Like I said earlier........the addition of Hamhuis and Vrbata make them instant contenders..............

Now the other reason Dallas would look at this trade is the would get first crack at resigning Vrbata and Hamhuis............getting players on the last year of a contract, doesn't mean they can't be resigned......or traded before the draft to recover some later picks

The big question with Dallas is defence. And they traded a good D man to get Sharp.

But they are LOADED in D prospects. Trading Daley may have even helped make room n the roster for their best prospects?

So a lot rides on how well their young D, and goalie tandem play.

But man their forward corps, Nichushkin is also returning, is absolutely wicked looking!

Archived