The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

53 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Took a small short position towards market close with an inverse ETF. Just wanna try it out, let's see how it goes. 

Could you please explain what the heck that move is to a neophyte?

And while your at it, if you don't mind, please explain the "Black Scholes call option formula"?

:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Took a small short position towards market close with an inverse ETF. Just wanna try it out, let's see how it goes. 

Why wouldn't you just short a regular ETF like SPY or DIA? Why use an inverse ETF? Is this done in an account that cannot short?

Good luck on the trade.

bears.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You could always go for tvixx if that's the case... risky, but if the markets bottom out again huge money can be made.

I’m not familiar with them, but I’ll check them out and just sticking with Canadian markets for the time being. 

54 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Why wouldn't you just short a regular ETF like SPY or DIA? Why use an inverse ETF? Is this done in an account that cannot short?

Good luck on the trade.

bears.jpg

I’m leaning towards with Big Country Reeves over MJ in the coming months.

/(Uneducated guess)

2A794730-5B12-48B4-A902-D7F308063FDE.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Good luck on the trade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those types of shorts can only be done with a margin account? Didn't want to be bothered to set one up and keep it simple with an inverse ETF. I don't see myself doing these types of trades in the future anyways. Just playing around with some things here and there while I sit on cash and have all the time in the world to watch the markets (i.e. SPY) as an unemployed bum (for the time being...hopefully :lol:)

15 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those types of shorts can only be done with a margin account? Didn't want to be bothered to set one up and keep it simple with an inverse ETF. I don't see myself doing these types of trades in the future anyways. Just playing around with some things here and there while I sit on cash and have all the time in the world to watch the markets (i.e. SPY) as an unemployed bum (for the time being...hopefully :lol:)

Yes, short selling can only be done within a margin account. So in your case an inverse ETF will do.

Be careful with that 'unemployed bum' thing. I started out trading while I was between jobs. That was 22 years ago and I am still unemployed.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yes, short selling can only be done within a margin account. So in your case an inverse ETF will do.

Be careful with that 'unemployed bum' thing. I started out trading while I was between jobs. That was 22 years ago and I am still unemployed.

Thanks for the heads up :lol:

I'm not too worried, can't do much when completing your graduate degree coincides with a global pandemic.

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

You sir are bang on... It may happen as early as next week..

I sold all positions today, sitting on 100% cash.

An analyst I follow suggested a W shaped recovery.. which would support this. The analyst is Larry Berman for those interested.

8 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

You sir are bang on... It may happen as early as next week..

I sold all positions today, sitting on 100% cash.

Yep, I took the cautious approach and liquidated at the opening highs. 

7 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

An analyst I follow suggested a W shaped recovery.. which would support this. The analyst is Larry Berman for those interested.

I like Berman and own his ZZZD. Global with active management. 4% yield.

I think the debt issue cannot be ignored or glossed over. I guess is you are a trader the risk can be mitigated somewhat by liquidating. As a value guy I tend to hold my core and add at a discount. Canada has a lot of financial problems on the horizon. Government, corporate and personal debt are the manifestation. Now add C-19. Prior to this flu the GDP was >1% and capital was leaving the country steadily. Investment in plant, machinery & equipment and intellectual property were in decline. Growing the country out of the debt problem by increasing business activity will be a struggle in a deflationary environment The only saving grace on the debt front is decades low interest rates. 

I am staying cautious as I agree with many here who do expect new lows. This is especially true if there is another flu spike. While countries simply cannot afford to shut their economies down the impact on people's confidence could be shaken again. I will wait until new lows are hit or until September. Knowing my luck a vaccine will come out and the markets take off upwards. 

Could someone with experience in investing in new lists shed some light on the best way to approach this?

I want to invest in them.

They were listed today.

Do you advise waiting for an initial spike and waiting a couple weeks to buy back in? Or to try and get in now?

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.26.48 PM.png

6 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Could someone with experience in investing in new lists shed some light on the best way to approach this?

I want to invest in them.

They were listed today.

Do you advise waiting for an initial spike and waiting a couple weeks to buy back in? Or to try and get in now?

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.26.48 PM.png

No history, no mention of volume or value... I'd stay away.

As far as what I can breeze through online... they appear to be a herbal tea/supplement company that's from Vancouver.  

If money is burning a hole in your pocket, throw some money at this stock.  But just be advise that this can easily just be worthless down the line, hover around without any significant change... or the next big thing.  It's all random.... since this is a new IPO on the venture exchange.  

• Upvote 1