The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

On 9/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, RRypien37 said:

If you're young, get your money out of that garbage and invest it into ANYTHING else that you actually have some control and a say in without the ridiculous fees.

Mutual Funds are a prehistoric relic (unless you are old already). 

ETFs can be worthwhile if you just want to track an index and get pretty low fees.  Vanguard has incredibly low fees, for example.

15 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I recently hired an advisor....AMAZING 

In what sense? I'm average 9-14% on returns, except my long term indexes which are ~6-8% annual. 

What is your advisor doign for you that warrants an average fee of 2% of profits? 

DM me if he's gonna average you 16+% returns 

If anyone wants to invest in the e-sports realm, I recommend EGLX (enthusiast gaming holdings).

After their merger, their current entry price at just over $2/share is a great entry. 

Edit: The merger was with Aquilini GameCo. Say what you want about their business practices and as people, but they're fantastic businessmen and I'm optimistic to own a tiny percentage of their company

Edited by NucksPatsFan

On 9/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

Gonna drop money into GameStop tomorrow. 

Hey if the guy who single handedly predicted the housing crash in the USA recently bought a large portion of it, it can’t hurt. 

If you invested in Gamestop after reading this post on September 15, you can sell today for a nice 9% return :) 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

If you invested in Gamestop after reading this post on September 15, you can sell today for a nice 9% return :) 

Just curious why Gamestop shares went up?

Oddly I was near a gamestop store recently and was amazed they still had stores. I was thinking they would disappear the way Block Buster disappeared.

17 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Just curious why Gamestop shares went up?

Oddly I was near a gamestop store recently and was amazed they still had stores. I was thinking they would disappear the way Block Buster disappeared.

They're very cheap right now.

Bury is holding a 3% stake now and is trying to direct the board on how to run their operations.

If they listen, they'll be better off for it.

7 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

In what sense? I'm average 9-14% on returns, except my long term indexes which are ~6-8% annual. 

What is your advisor doign for you that warrants an average fee of 2% of profits? 

DM me if he's gonna average you 16+% returns 

I don't know what DM means.

All I know is the return has been high, even relative to your standards. I also know that it frees up my time.

If I have more spare time, I am happier. I can either enjoy my hobbies, or run side jobs which I make substantially more than 2% of profits (which the fee is not). 

Who said my advisor was a male? :)

Edited by Chris12345

Charles Schwab to Drop Online Stock, ETF Fees in Price War

(Bloomberg) -- Charles Schwab Corp., in an escalating price war with rivals, plans to eliminate online trade commissions for U.S. stocks, exchange traded funds and options. Shares of Schwab and its competitors in the online brokerage industry plunged.

Schwab clients using the web qualify for the zero commission, down from $4.95, which begins Oct. 7, according to a statement from the company Tuesday. Clients trading options will continue to pay 65 cents per contract.

Schwab’s move is the latest in a price war with rivals as investors flock to the cheapest products. Last week, Interactive Brokers Group Inc. announced it would offer free trades. That follows Fidelity Investments’s announcement in June that it was expanding its lineup of commission-free ETFs. Last year, Vanguard Group set off the competition when it said it would offer almost 1,800 ETFs commission-free on its platform.

“They’ll have to follow suit,” Kyle Sanders, an analyst at Edward Jones, said of Schwab’s competitors. “It’s a commoditized business. When there’s an announcement by one firm, others play catch-up or take a more aggressive strategy.”

Shares of the online brokerages fell the most in many years. TD Ameritrade Holding Corp. sunk 22%, the most in 13 years, to $36.78 at 10:28 am. Schwab fell 8.3%, the most in three years, to $38.37. Interactive Brokers Group Inc. was down 6.4% to $50.34. E*Trade Financial Corp. dropped the most since 2009.

Sanders said he sees Schwab’s decision as the second wave of a price war that’s already hammered fees for product issuers. Now competition on price is deepening among the brokers selling those products, he said.

Schwab previously doubled its suite of no-commission ETFs in March, bringing its total to more than 500 at the time. BlackRock Inc. iShares products were added to its platform, Schwab ETF OneSource, with 90 funds. Several fund issuers including State Street Global Advisors, Invesco Ltd., WisdomTree Investments Inc., J.P. Morgan Asset Management and Pacific Investment Management Co. also planned to add to their commission-free offerings already on the platform.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/charles-schwab-end-online-stock-132203808.html

Good news for the online investors/traders.

]Every online broker is going to have to follow suit.

Edited by nuckin_futz

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 12:50 AM, nuckin_futz said:

Isn't the idea of having a "portfolio" to be diversified? That doesn't sound very diversified.

No stock on the market currently reminds me more of CROX circa 2007 than BYND. Both have a beloved product with a lot of hype behind them. Both trade(d) at valuations that make no sense. BYND has a market cap higher than Conagra Brands (how does that make sense?).

The following is a chart of CROX in 2007. That massive gap down came as a result of quarterly earnings and poor guidance.

BYND reports Monday after the bell. Will it be the day of reckoning? Time will tell.

CROX 2007.jpg

The beauty of the market is you can defy gravity for a long time, but in the end gravity always wins.

And now here is a chart of Beyond Meat BYND today. ......

You can defy logic and common sense in the markets for some time but in the end gravity always wins.

bync.jpg

Edited by nuckin_futz

• 1 month later...

Russian stock market with all the favours they've gotten from Trump:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/09/09/where-is-russias-stock-market-headed-this-year-a67196

You'd have to buy ETF's/Russian Mutual Funds through a North American stock exchange. 

For example:

Mutual Fund: LETRX | Voya Russia Fund YTD growth is 39.29%

VanEck Vector Russian ETF (on NYSE) 19$ per share in January, 24$ now. 

OGZPY Gazprom has a 1 year return of 77%. 

Use politics to get rich. Trump has given everything Russia could dream for. If he's re-elected, no reason these stocks wouldn't continue to grow. 

Edited by Duodenum

• 4 weeks later...

Geopolitics is one of my main investment considerations. I will never sell the USA a short and continue to add American stocks to my portfolio. Canadian stocks have to have significant USA or global exposure. They must have solid dividend cash flow. Brookfield has been a huge win. Have not been a big gold bug but have established positions. I think Trump is fighting a losing battle as debt will overwhelm global markets. No, I don't blame Trump for this as this trend as been developing for decades. I do think Trump will be re-elected with a stronger mandate even tho the inevitable fiscal crisis will not be averted. It will be all about who comes out the otherside and IMHO it will be the USA.

Happy investing in 2020!

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Geopolitics is one of my main investment considerations. I will never sell the USA a short and continue to add American stocks to my portfolio. Canadian stocks have to have significant USA or global exposure. They must have solid dividend cash flow. Brookfield has been a huge win. Have not been a big gold bug but have established positions. I think Trump is fighting a losing battle as debt will overwhelm global markets. No, I don't blame Trump for this as this trend as been developing for decades. I do think Trump will be re-elected with a stronger mandate even tho the inevitable fiscal crisis will not be averted. It will be all about who comes out the otherside and IMHO it will be the USA.

Happy investing in 2020!

He barely beat a worse candidate than him the last time by the slimmest of margins.  Course, the Dems can’t seem to act their together much like the Cons here in Canada...so who knows.

20 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He barely beat a worse candidate than him the last time by the slimmest of margins.  Course, the Dems can’t seem to act their together much like the Cons here in Canada...so who knows.

My take on Trump being re-elected is simply that the vast majority of Americans are doing better under this last 4 year term. People rarely vote against their pocket books. Combine that with a very weak Demo field. IMHO the way for the Dems to have challenged Trump was on a business case. Massive deficit financing will have a major negative impact. Traditionally the DEms are the ones making those types of spending decisions. Trump is hardly a fiscal conservative so IMO he is vulnerable. I do think that progressive forces will take a run at the USA economy to try and dethrone Trump. Trigger a stock market run and maybe Trump implodes. I doubt it but who knows in this world. 

I agree that the CPC in Canada as done no better job than the Dems in establishing a platform that can challenge the Liebels. Canada is a absolute mess living in some kind of Alice in Wonderland world.  There is a cabal of eastern elitist who will have to take responsibility for this house of cards when it implodes. Geopolitics exists inside countries as well as outside. I doubt Canada as constituted will survive. 

Waiting out for another correction in the stock market. S&P 500 has had an upward swing that's a little too suspicious for my taste. Going to wait it out until I enter into a US market ETF.

On another note, Lululemon and Activision-Blizzard have been my bright spots in recent weeks. Canopy recovering (very) slowly...

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

21 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Waiting out for another correction in the stock market. S&P 500 has had an upward swing that's a little too suspicious for my taste. Going to wait it out until I enter into a US market ETF.

On another note, Lululemon and Activision-Blizzard have been my bright spots in recent weeks. Canopy recovering (very) slowly...

There is no doubt that equity valuations are way above historical. S&P historical P/E is 15 and is now at 22. Because of age I hold blue chip dividend payers in CDN $ and buy USD $ stocks in sectors I cannot get good exposure in Canada. To counter the threat of a market pull back I bought gold and some short term bond ETF's. I run a sheet that tells me my $ total in each industry sector, the ROE and the CF they generate. I have my target allocations and adjust accordingly. 

I am so old that cashing out of my stocks and trying to time a buyback would cost huge capital gain tax. The hell if I will give that jerk Turdeau anymore than I have too. My kids can do that when I kick off! B) Trying to time markets is a tough call. So many pensions depend on capital markets so I don't see governments standing by for extended periods. This likely wishful thinking as I do see global debt as the #1 problem facing the world. The next time you are in a social situation look around and ask yourself how the people you see make a living? I did that at X-Mass and only 2 of 11 people worked in private enterprise jobs.