The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryane Clowe's NHL career is over

Doctors advise Devils' Clowe not to play again: report:

Doctors have recommended New Jersey Devils forward Ryane Clowe not play hockey again, according to Northjersey.com.

Clowe, who has had four concussions in the past two seasons, will stay on injured reserve or be placed on long-term injured reserve for the final three years of his contract, Devils general manager Ray Shero said Friday.

Clowe played in 13 games last season, the final one Nov. 6 against the St. Louis Blues, when he sustained a concussion in the first period and did not return.

"This has been ongoing for a while," Shero told the website. "Based on the recommendation of doctors and the latest incident on Nov. 6 and the result of the injuries and the concussions, he's going to be unable to play hockey now or hockey in the future.

"For me getting to know Ryane over the last two months in particular, he's a proud player, he's a proud person. This has been very difficult for him and knowing he's given this a lot of time to try to play and seeing the doctors to try to get back to play, the conclusion that he's unable to play hockey now or in the future."

Clowe has $14.55 million remaining on a five-year, $24.25 million contract he signed prior to the 2013-14 season. He played in 56 games over two seasons with the Devils, scoring eight goals and 30 points.

"I feel pretty good," Clowe told writer Tom Gulitti. "I was starting to recover and starting to feel good again. I hoped that the opportunity might be there to play again, but it wasn't. But overall, besides the whole emotional part of this, physically I feel pretty good. But emotionally, it's a tough day or a tough last week or however long. That's how it goes."

Clowe sustained two concussion in his first season with the Devils. He missed nearly two months early in the season before returning to the lineup Dec. 27. He had a goal and two assists in 9:30 of ice time March 31 against the Florida Panthers before leaving the game with a concussion that ultimately ended his season.

Clowe spent parts of eight seasons with the San Jose Sharks, who selected him in the sixth round (No. 175) of the 2001 NHL Draft, and was traded to the New York Rangers late in the 2012-13 season.

Clowe had two 20-goal seasons with the Sharks and at least 50 points in three consecutive seasons from 2008-11, including career highs of 24 goals and 62 points in 2010-11.

"Ryane Clowe was the guy -- you think of [Milan] Lucic, you think of Clowe, those are the two guys that teams always wanted," Shero said. "You'd have to talk to (San Jose Sharks general manager) Doug Wilson (about) how many times teams would try to trade for Ryane Clowe, because you couldn't find guys like that."

He has 112 goals and 309 points in 491 regular-season games and 18 goals and 46 points in 70 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=778727

I know this will sound harsh, but with the way the games been going recently, his career was all but over 2 seasons ago. Two slow not productive enough. The late PTOs we're seeing right now would still leave him on the outside looking in I think.

It's a shame to see someone end their career this way but it's for the best if he has a family.

I think he was the guy a few trade deadlines ago that Mike Gillis wanted to grab but we couldn't afford the 2 2nds and something for him. I believe the San Jose player went to the New York Rangers. Anyway good thig Gillis didn't trade high picks for him.

Hopefully he saved some of his earnings over the years so he can lived comfortably till he dies. I am sure some junior team after a year or 2 of rest will give him a call to come coach/manage a team. Wish him the best of luck.

I know this will sound harsh, but with the way the games been going recently, his career was all but over 2 seasons ago. Two slow not productive enough. The late PTOs we're seeing right now would still leave him on the outside looking in I think.

It's a shame to see someone end their career this way but it's for the best if he has a family.

Not harsh, simply factual and realistic.

If his career was over , I'm guessing you are in the, no to signing Lucic corner?

If his career was over , I'm guessing you are in the, no to signing Lucic corner?

Not sure what that means but no. I don't want to see Looch signed here. He's going to ask for or get to much money for his 2nd line (soon to be 3rd line production should his downward trends continue)

Lucic is not worth more than $5 million per year and no longer than 3-4 years. But will get $6+ and more than 4 years. For a team like ours transitioning from the Sedin era that's just an expensive and completely pointless stop gap.

He's got financial freedom. Not a Bentley every week kind of financial freedom but enough where he can live nicer than most of us and not work a day for the rest of his life.

Does he really have enough to last another 45-50 years? Smart players save up for retirement, but I'm not sure if Clowe did. Sean Avery wrote a great article on the financial struggles of NHL players in The Player's Tribune a while back.

Link here: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sean-avery-why-i-retired-life-after-hockey/

Archived