The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Vancouver 1040

Alexandre

ok with our depth at center  do you think benning would trade horvat higgins and a 2nd  for ryan jo i think hed entertain the idea especially with sutter coming back in a few weeks and mcann playing really nice as a 3rd line c abd the fact that sedins are going strong and cassels and even gaunce can stew in minors and learn the pro game while cracknell is a decent 4th line c.

then send vrbata and hamhuis to east for a top 4  right handed d. waive weber.

sedin sedin hansen

baertchi ry jo sutter

virtanen mccann burrows 

prust cracker dorsett 

edler tanev 

hutton 

sbisa pedan 

bartoski

miller 

marky

benning might even retain salary for vrbata and hamhuis

lots of contenders would still value a hamhuis at 2.5 cap hit as a defensive 3rd pair guy for cup run.

retaining 2.5 on vrbata teams like wings, bruins, lightning, pens, sens could get into a bidding war for his sniper services. 

benning needs to fix our right side on d asap

5 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ok with our depth at center  do you think benning would trade horvat higgins and a 2nd  for ryan jo i think hed entertain the idea especially with sutter coming back in a few weeks and mcann playing really nice as a 3rd line c abd the fact that sedins are going strong and cassels and even gaunce can stew in minors and learn the pro game while cracknell is a decent 4th line c.

sedin sedin hansen

baertchi ry jo sutter

virtanen mccann burrows 

prust cracker dorsett 

edler tanev 

hutton 

sbisa pedan 

bartoski

miller 

marky

Hutton's going to be reaaall busy with that lineup.

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

sedin sedin hansen

baertchi ry jo sutter

virtanen mccann burrows 

prust cracker dorsett 

edler tanev 

hutton 

sbisa pedan 

bartoski

miller 

marky

Benning's said a number of times that teams have inquired about his young players (including Horvat) and that he doesn't want to trade them. Clendenning would have been an exception because of Benning actually wanting Sutter.

Personally, I'd much rather have Horvat than Johansen. Horvat's going to be an all-around good player in my eyes. The kind you don't just get everyday.

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

What I'd really like to see (and Canuck Surfer is pretty much spot on for this one) is for us to acquire through trade a stay-at-home D-man who is mobile with the puck and has a great first-pass-out-the-zone, but will also tell crease-crashers that he'll cross-check their lungs out if they dare hang out in front of the crease - and then do it.

Bartkowski looks to be slowly easing into that role, but he needs to assert his authority a bit more around the crease.

Bartkowski isn't going to strike fear or threaten any of the larger forwards in the league. They'll just look at his ridiculous mustache and laugh.

I like Horvat, but even with Shink, and picks, I don't think that'd be the best offer Columbus could get for Johansen. Struggling this year sure, but Johansen is already a first line star NHL player. Columbus would have to be really high on Horvat to make that deal.

But if the offer was there, I dunno. All the reasons to trade Horvat are there. He's not the GM's pick, and Benning went out this summer and got Sutter to be the type of guy we expect Horvat to become soon, and then signed him long-term.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Pratt> Corporate boot licker Bro Jake.

2 hours ago, Alexandre said:

Well, to be honest, I can't stand to listen to Pratt and Jake for that matter. I just tune in to 1040 during their show at random times and hope for a good guest.:P I think he has been going on about trading the Sedins? It was amusing the way Pratt broached that subject with Benning.

This is a bit off topic but I need to get rid of my frustration somehow. I occasionally turn on the Bro Jake show in the morning after I have temporarily forgotten how bad they are.

One thing I don't like is that they are always going on about popular music, movies, TV shows, celebrities, etc. And their comments really inane -- less interesting than what my co-workers have to say over lunch. And with my co-workers I don't  have to listen to advertisements.

I get the feeling that Bro Jake is a Letterman wannabe (or maybe an Oprah wannabe) -- that he does not really care that much about the Canucks, hockey more broadly, or sports in general. He would much rather be a general entertainment talk show host.

I don't understand the recent personnel moves at TSN 1040.

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

benning might even retain salary for vrbata and hamhuis

lots of contenders would still value a hamhuis at 2.5 cap hit as a defensive 3rd pair guy for cup run.

retaining 2.5 on vrbata teams like wings, bruins, lightning, pens, sens could get into a bidding war for his sniper services. 

benning needs to fix our right side on d asap

As long as the Canucks remain in playoff position or in close contention Hammer and Vrby aren't going anywhere. Where would the Canucks have been without those two guys last night against Minny?

If the Canucks are dropping out of contention for the playoffs at the trade deadline then it is likely both will be traded for picks at that time. By that point in the season salary is not a big issue for guys on expiring contracts as the acquiring team only pays the remaining pro-rated salary. If keeping some salary helps, great. But I do not expect it to matter much. 

By the way, Hammer is decent value at his current cap hit. At 2.5 million he would a steal. Look at what the Canucks paid to re-sign Sbisa. (Nothing against Sbisa -- he is a decent player, but nowhere near as valuable as Hammer.)

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

As long as the Canucks remain in playoff position or in close contention Hammer and Vrby aren't going anywhere. Where would the Canucks have been without those two guys last night against Minny?

If the Canucks are dropping out of contention for the playoffs at the trade deadline then it is likely both will be traded for picks at that time. By that point in the season salary is not a big issue for guys on expiring contracts as the acquiring team only pays the remaining pro-rated salary. If keeping some salary helps, great. But I do not expect it to matter much. 

By the way, Hammer is decent value at his current cap hit. At 2.5 million he would a steal. Look at what the Canucks paid to re-sign Sbisa. (Nothing against Sbisa -- he is a decent player, but nowhere near as valuable as Hammer.)

It's hard to say really. Benning said in the interview that "we're going to keep our focus on a team in transistion" and getting the younger players going. My guess is that it's really going to depend on how much impact Benning feels these 2 players have on the team at the time, as well as what he could get back.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Tryamkin, Pedan, Brisebois and all the other D we've brought in more recently point to that, as has trying to accelerate our prospect pool with players like Clendening and Sbisa. Hutton's coming out of those efforts now and we hope to see him continue to develop into a top 2/4 guy. Subban is a project at his size but has been strong offensively in the AHL. We've tried in the past with guys like Garrison, Ballard and others who haven't worked out, but have had luck with guys like Ehrhoff and Hamhuis. It's tough to just throw money or assets at whoever is already established and might be available so I'm not sure what else you expect them to do.

When u draft in the 3rd to 5th round the players are all projects. Without question offering some legit value or they would not be drafted. But also questions.

In most cases they are good hockey players and compete hard but are lacking one of two things. The speed, size and athleticism of an elite athlete? Example Cassels. Or they have good athleticism and lack elite skills? Example Cedarholme. Hansen might be a better example... Also no question some put in the work to improve their speed and strength. Or their skills depending on what the deficiency is. But statistically speaking past early in the 2knd round well under 20% of draftee's have any NHL career of substance.

Guys like Tryamkin, Pedan, Subban etc all could be the guy that answers all deficiencies (they have them) to be the next Duncan Keith or Zdeno Chara?  Good development and coaching, combined with a solid character can see a player come through.

Heres the clincher though; particularly with athleticism you may always be limited. Edler (even then a 2knd rounder) never became a Norris candidate for example. Because in spite of having size & skill, he is just not as fast as elite defenders, nor does he have the puck skills!

Banking on players with limitations to become the all star every team needs is just not a good formula. It could happen? It would not be good odd's to project Tryamkin, Subban or Brisbois as guys that other teams cannot stop or handle. Where they were drafted we should be thankful if one of the three simply becomes a NHL regular. And I'll be happy with that.

I am looking for impact players!

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Just to point out one more thing: back in around 2006, we arguably had one of the best defensive cores in the league. While Ohlund (a first round pick) was one of those players, we also had Salo (9th round), Mitchell (8th rround), Bieksa (5th round), and Edler (5th round).

While before that time we may have had other 1st rounders (and Krajicek was also a 1st rounder really albeit with a minimal impact), I think it goes to show that 1st round draft picks are not the end all on defense.

You need 12 players in your forward group. You need half that on defense. ;)

We had a good D. It was not among the two or three best in the business at that time.  It was still lacking anyone a team could not handle.

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

We had a good D. It was not among the two or three best in the business at that time.  It was still lacking anyone a team could not handle.

Which is why I said "arguably". hehe

It was probably just behind the top d cores in reality, but it was still up there. I know that it was hyped quite a bit from media and fans outside of Vancouver.

They want to add a goal scorer? No mention of Hamonic or fixing this terrible defence?

We're not going to get any better without a top-4 defenceman. This team doesn't need ANOTHER winger, veteran or young. What we clearly need is defence and I can't believe our management don't see that, especially Benning who built a brilliant one in Boston.

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They want to add a goal scorer? No mention of Hamonic or fixing this terrible defence?

We're not going to get any better without a top-4 defenceman. This team doesn't need ANOTHER winger, veteran or young. What we clearly need is defence and I can't believe our management don't see that, especially Benning who built a brilliant one in Boston.

He didn't say anything like that....

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I didn't listen to it but the OP clearly says he "wanted to add another scorer". No mention or urgency of adding a defenceman.

Well Benning didn't mention an urgency either. He did however mention we are going through a transition period. He also said that trades are hard to make.

Regardless, I think urgency would just get us in trouble in the end. Instigate some trades, at least more than what Gillis and Nonis did, but don't rush them either. We're looking to make a good team, not a rushed team. ;)

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nice to see that Benning can now publicly say what we are doing.  Last year he had an agenda to make the play off's. No doubt he still does this year (hence Prust / Sutter for example). But he still understands where we are actually at in regards to building this team.

Awesome!

I thought it was noteworthy he mentioned we needed a goal scorer. Then both Shinkaruk & Boeser popped up in the conversation. This also suggests we are taking the long view ATM?

What he did not say, which I remain peeved about is an incentive to rejuvenate our D!

Jim's getting more savvy with the media imo.  This is a little misdirection.  Happy to see it.  We need D.

He did say outright that he doesn't want to move any of the young talent.  I believe that so I guess that means they're out of the running for Johansen.

Archived