The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Stamkos reject 8.5mil/year offer from Lightning

Steve Yzerman's got a lot of work to do in Tampa Bay, but he knows his priorities.

The Lightning general manager recently made a contract offer to pending unrestricted free agent Steven Stamkos that averaged $8.5 million per season, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, speaking on Saturday's "Headlines" segment on "Hockey Night in Canada."

Friedman said the offer was made "some time in the last few weeks."

Earlier this week, Friedman addressed the contract offer in his "30 Thoughts" column:

Obviously, it was not accepted, but it would be wrong to use the word "rejected." My sense is it's a negotiation point, an attempt to see where everyone stands.

The Lightning have shot up the Eastern Conference standings thanks to a seven-game winning streak (which was snapped Saturday), and Stamkos has had a solid January. He has four goals and five assists in 10 games this month.

http://www.thescore.com/news/943958

8 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Considering Kopitar just got 10m... Kind of a slap in the face to Stammer.

Kopitar is an elite two-way player, probably a top-3 player in the league. Stammer is all about offense. 8.5 is a good starting offer, but Stammer is probably going to leave because he has decided to leave, and money isn't the main issue.

31 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Considering Kopitar just got 10m... Kind of a slap in the face to Stammer.

I wouldn't go that far.  Kopitar has 2 cups in his favor.  Last year playoffs Stamkos wasn't as big as factor as their other young guys. 

He had 18 pts in 26 games which is good for sure, but took him a while to get going and Kopitar was at a point per game during both cup runs, and all the other things he does.

Kopitar has more size and defensive ability but Stamkos has scored 60 goals and is still only 25 plus if he's going to sign a deal it's going to be 6-8 years so he's gonna want more money. Crosby is getting  $8.7M which is very low now if you look at what players of that caliber are making. I think he is worth $11M AAV.

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

Guys just a starting offer this is normal. no one accepts first offer unless you have an idiot as gm who overpays everyone. Stamkos counters with something like 12M no NTC and yzerman will say 10.5 LNTC.  then back and forth. this is prefectly normal. 8.5 is cheap tho

I think the 8.5 offer, even if it is a starting point, is already a slap to Stamkos considering Kopitar just signed for 10m ( top loaded.. 14, 13, 12m sequentially).

hope this feels like it did in 2010 when Yzerman snubbed him for the Oylimpic Gold in Vancouver..

come to Vancouver for 11-12m Stammer,. We can get that party going again!

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I totally forgot about the Olympics.    makes me think he aint gonna sign at all

Canadian kid, Canadian City, Oylimpic Gold.. Once in a lifetime or 3 lifetimes, He won the Rocket Richard Trophy for most goals that same season..  Gotta be a stinger for a young man who's potential was known to others , not only himself.

Archived