The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The goalie situation.

smokes

14 minutes ago, smokes said:

The fact that the Canucks can't score effects the goalie in a huge was. Canucks don't score therefore goalies are pressured to not let anything in. Think of the Luongo days. How many one goal games they won rather than the one goal games they lose now. Miller is showing his age and other than only having one good month this season, he has no longer an elite number one goalie. If Miller is the starter next year at his age and his decline in play the Canucks are in serious trouble. Markstrom looks better than Miller right now and I think have earned the right to get more games. Now if lets say Markstrom plays better than Miller then what a 6 million dollar backup goaltender for a year before Demko comes in? Will Miller's play and his cap space, finding a suiter will be difficult. 

As of this year. According to TSN

Markstrom is 17th in GAA with 2.30 while Miller is 31st with 2.64

Markstrom is 9th in SV% with 9.25 while Miller is 29th with 9.14

A 6 million dollar goaltender for one more year, how is this not a problem. Wht team would take him at his salary with those stats?

Miller's stats are bad this year. But he definitely has pedigree and a good reputation with GMs. They remember his days as an elite goaltender. To be honest, he does show that from time to time. He has a big name and that, apparently has value. Especially among GMs that care more about the intangibles than watching the stat sheet.

15 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

If the Canucks lose, goaltending is not the problem. The goaltending is excellent some nights, good enough to win other nights. Miller isn't as sharp as the US Team Olympian Miller, but he's good enough that the team can't use that as an excuse if they lose. Markstrom is quite good almost all the time, good reaction time in with chaotic situations, and getting sharper with experience. 

More goals, more defense are bigger needs.

Why does Miller get a free pass while the fanbase was ready to lynch Luongo any chance they got?

9 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

Yes, but when you said he was for sure gone after this year I took it to mean that.  It's true, he could be traded even this year I suppose, or in the offseason but I wouldn't be surprised if he was here till the end of his deal either.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miller is here when his deal is done, but that's poor asset management. If you can unload him, and get Markstrom even more games (say, 45-50 games next season), it would set up Markstrom to become a #1 goalie the year after. Miller can fetch a decent prospect, and a decent draft pick (depending on how he's playing next season around this time). 

9 hours ago, jmahyoung said:

Miller's stats are bad this year. But he definitely has pedigree and a good reputation with GMs. They remember his days as an elite goaltender. 

'Pedigree' is really only useful if you are a horse or a dog being put out to stud.

Just like every other position,  most teams are looking to get younger in goal.

I was royally pissed when they traded Eddie Lack instead of Miller, Canucks could have had a good tandem with him and Markstrom, one of them might have taken over a #1 by now.

Miller is a non-factor,  get rid of him if it is at all possible. Get another younger guy to compete with Markstrom for the #1 job, just like the young skaters competing for ice time.

9 hours ago, smokes said:

Why does Miller get a free pass while the fanbase was ready to lynch Luongo any chance they got?

The booing of Luongo was pretty brutal..IMO..When Miller is winning you games (getting 50 shots a game) you have no business of winning.. he deserves some slack..

Plus,this fan base can't have two good goalies..It always demands some sort of feud/drama/bs..

I'm all for trading Miller.  It's not that he's a bad goalie, but he doesn't warrant his 6 million salary while Markstrom's numbers are better.  (Even if his experience is likely great as a mentor.  That's what we have Melanson and Cloutier as a consultant for).

I'm not so sure what team would need him for the remainder of this year though.  All the teams are pretty much set on goaltending, and the ones (Like the Oilers) who don't have good goaltending stats are generally due to porous bluelines and won't make the playoffs anyway.

Perhaps the offseason or next year will prove to have more demand for a goalie like Miller, but for now I see him playing out the remainder of his last year.

In the end, I really don't see any of this being a problem.  It's not like we're in a bad goaltending position, and we're not likely going to be vying for the cup next year regardless. Miller was brought in during the goaltending transition, and he will do exactly that. 

17 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

The booing of Luongo was pretty brutal..IMO..When Miller is winning you games (getting 50 shots a game) you have no business of winning.. he deserves some slack..

Plus,this fan base can't have two good goalies..It always demands some sort of feud/drama/bs..

So true. 

On 10/02/2016 at 6:21 AM, smokes said:

The fact that the Canucks can't score effects the goalie in a huge way. Canucks don't score therefore goalies are pressured to not let anything in. Think of the Luongo days. How many one goal games they won rather than the one goal games they lose now. Miller is showing his age and other than only having one good month this season, he has no longer an elite number one goalie. If Miller is the starter next year at his age and his decline in play the Canucks are in serious trouble. Markstrom looks better than Miller right now and I think have earned the right to get more games. Now if lets say Markstrom plays better than Miller then what a 6 million dollar backup goaltender for a year before Demko comes in? Will Miller's play and his cap space, finding a suiter will be difficult. 

As of this year. According to TSN

Markstrom is 17th in GAA with 2.30 while Miller is 31st with 2.64

Markstrom is 9th in SV% with 9.25 while Miller is 29th with 9.14

A 6 million dollar goaltender for one more year, how is this not a problem. What team would take him at his salary with those stats?

I personally feel that with our lack of scoring in recent games, our goaltending has been the main thing keeping us competitive. 

So not really a problem at all, but rather a cause for optimism. Unless of course you are a member of "Tank Nation" of course.

Any team that's a serious contender in a playoff run, but is short of a second solid goaltender due to injury or whatever, would have to take a look at Miller.

I still think letting Lack go instead of trading Miller was a huge mistake.

But with Demko up and coming, if I'm Benning, and someone waves the right offer in my face, and considering how much cap space it would free up, and considering how well Markstrom is playing...

I'd be all over it.

On 2/10/2016 at 9:51 AM, smokes said:

Cause Miller didn't have one of the best teams in the history of this franchise in front of him and blow it 4 times in the playoffs. 

Seriously though, there's no need to rush Markstrom, he and Miller are an awesome tandem to have. The team isn't losing games because of who's in goal. 

5 hours ago, RyIe said:

Cause Miller didn't have one of the best teams in the history of this franchise in front of him and blow it 4 times in the playoffs. 

Seriously though, there's no need to rush Markstrom, he and Miller are an awesome tandem to have. The team isn't losing games because of who's in goal. 

With all Luongos accomplishments it's funny everyone seems to forget how bad he melted down under pressure. I just remembered that joke from the 2011 SCF after games 3 & 4 in Boston, " What time is it in Boston? 12 past Luongo!"

Miller may get out shined by Markstrom from time to time , but he's solid back there consistently. 

On 10/02/2016 at 7:51 AM, smokes said:

so the takeaway here is that everybody should be lynched, rather than learning from past experience and lynching nobody moving forward?

Archived