The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

13 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

There is no space on this team for Sutter.

He should be traded for defensive assets or some picks.

Agreed. Everytime I mock up next year's lineup I see no room for Sutter

Or Baertschi, Granlund, and Eriksson for that matter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zoolander said:

Agreed. Everytime I mock up next year's lineup I see no room for Sutter

Or Baertschi, Granlund, and Eriksson for that matter.

Baertschi? Injuries may keep him off, but if he's healthy, he's a vital part of our top 6 IMO.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It's looking that way, Sutter, LE, Spooner and Schaller should all be moved IMO. Might be possible to send Spooner and Schaller to Ottawa, pay for it with a low draft pick. 

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Problem with sending Sutter packing, is that Gaud is not ready to be a 3c that can help the team into the playoffs.  I don't mind seeing him on the W, while he's learning the NHL game, but, unless he miraculously improves his game in the offseason, I don't think he plays 3C again.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Problem with sending Sutter packing, is that Gaud is not ready to be a 3c that can help the team into the playoffs.  I don't mind seeing him on the W, while he's learning the NHL game, but, unless he miraculously improves his game in the offseason, I don't think he plays 3C again.

With the cap not going up, and teams spending big dollars on their best players, guys like Gaud (who are making ELC dollars) will need to play more important roles.  Ready or not, I think Gaud is our number 3 center.  

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With the cap not going up, and teams spending big dollars on their best players, guys like Gaud (who are making ELC dollars) will need to play more important roles.  Ready or not, I think Gaud is our number 3 center.  

With having to make the playoffs within 2 years (and go far as they can), they'll need the top 3c on the team.  That is Sutter (for this coming season anyways); Gaud can play on the wing and learn the NHL game.

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

With having to make the playoffs within 2 years (and go far as they can), they'll need the top 3c on the team.  That is Sutter (for this coming season anyways); Gaud can play on the wing and learn the NHL game.

That makes good sense. 

I personally don't yet believe Sutter is washed up. Yeah he had a brutal season and has had difficulties staying healthy but hopefully he will be 100% and trains hard this off-season. If he can get back to being a 30 point guy for us I will be pretty stoked. That allows Gaudette a year in Utica and then maybe we can move him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon Sutter's recent interview: he's going to Bo's wedding later this week from the sounds of it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/brandon-sutter-nice-see-different-mindset-team-going-season/

He sees himself as our third line centre next season. He enjoys the defensive side of the game and likes taking on PK responsibilities. 

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 2

On 6/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, Alflives said:

He needs to earn that position, Alf. 

So he'll need to outperform and steal that job that currently belongs to Sutter, away from Sutter. If he doesn't do it, then it's basically Sutter's to lose. 

With that being said, I hope Gaudette takes it at training camp. 

Sutter is valuable NHL player when he's healthy. He can shore a team's third line centre position for sure. Sutter for a 3rd round pick? I'll do that. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Brandon Sutter's recent interview: he's going to Bo's wedding later this week from the sounds of it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/brandon-sutter-nice-see-different-mindset-team-going-season/

He sees himself as our third line centre next season. He enjoys the defensive side of the game and likes taking on PK responsibilities. 

Gaudette can be on his wing, though that would essentially mean that his offense dries up in a hurry. Cause we all know Sutter's a black hole when it comes to offense. 

But if Sutter is the defensive centre on the team, then that frees up both Horvat, and EP from too many defensive roles. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

So he'll need to outperform and steal that job that currently belongs to Sutter, away from Sutter. If he doesn't do it, then it's basically Sutter's to lose. 

Sutter is valuable NHL player when he's healthy. He can shore a team's third line centre position for sure. Sutter for a 3rd round pick? I'll do that. 

Too many people have forgotten what Sutter was when he was playing. Last year was injury riddled and not as good, but he was a very solid 3rd line centre when healthy. Decent offense and strong on defense.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Too many people have forgotten what Sutter was when he was playing. Last year was injury riddled and not as good, but he was a very solid 3rd line centre when healthy. Decent offense and strong on defense.

Incorrect, the Brandon Sutter of this past season was not strong on defence at all, he looked like he was a step behind on every shift. Add to the fact that the offence pretty much dries up when the puck hits his stick, the guy is borderline useless. He doesnt have a place in this lineup, even without his salary. Gaudette is better than Sutter in every way and hes going to get better

1 minute ago, filthycanuck said:

Incorrect, the Brandon Sutter of this past season was not strong on defence at all, he looked like he was a step behind on every shift. Add to the fact that the offence pretty much dries up when the puck hits his stick, the guy is borderline useless. He doesnt have a place in this lineup, even without his salary. Gaudette is better than Sutter in every way and hes going to get better

Do you have some numbers to back up those claims?

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

The problem is no teams won't. Im pretty sure Jim has tried getting something for Sutter just to unload his salary, even a 5th or 6th and still no takers. Sutter with his injury history, his salary, and his lack of production is nothing but an albatross to this team

Just now, -AJ- said:

Do you have some numbers to back up those claims?

I watched every game this season, and I wasn't the only one that noticed that. Cheech, Shorty, and the radio guys Hirch and Batch echoed the same sentiment. Is it due to his injury? Could be. Either way, he was way worse defensively, couldn't get to loose pucks quick enough or get to pucks offensively. Stats aren't everything. There is a clear CLEAR upgrade in just flow of play when Gaudette was on ice in comparison to Sutter

1 minute ago, filthycanuck said:

I watched every game this season, and I wasn't the only one that noticed that. Cheech, Shorty, and the radio guys Hirch and Batch echoed the same sentiment. Is it due to his injury? Could be. Either way, he was way worse defensively, couldn't get to loose pucks quick enough or get to pucks offensively. Stats aren't everything. There is a clear CLEAR upgrade in just flow of play when Gaudette was on ice in comparison to Sutter

So I'll take that as a no then.

• Cheers 1