The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

On 7/16/2019 at 1:17 AM, filthycanuck said:

The problem is no teams won't. Im pretty sure Jim has tried getting something for Sutter just to unload his salary, even a 5th or 6th and still no takers. Sutter with his injury history, his salary, and his lack of production is nothing but an albatross to this team

Sigh. too many bad contracts on this team. I think the Canucks then keep Sutter and showcase him. hoping that he stays healthy this coming season. When they're able to off-load the guy for picks or a prospect, Gaudette, in my opinion gets the call up to replace him.

What about Sutter for a seventh round pick? Any takers? 

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sigh. too many bad contracts on this team. I think the Canucks then keep Sutter and showcase him. hoping that he stays healthy this coming season. When they're able to off-load the guy for picks or a prospect, Gaudette, in my opinion gets the call up to replace him.

What about Sutter for a seventh round pick? Any takers? 

I think Sutter's value is a low pick like that right now, but if he can stay healthy and find his game back, his value could rise to a 2nd or a 3rd with the right team, which is why I advocate for waiting for a while into the season before looking to move him.

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Sutter's value is a low pick like that right now, but if he can stay healthy and find his game back, his value could rise to a 2nd or a 3rd with the right team, which is why I advocate for waiting for a while into the season before looking to move him.

I agree! 

I think selling low on Sutter would be a bad move. But if that's the case, how do we afford Boeser? We need to shed some money right now, and if not Sutter, and Eriksson doesn't get traded, then who? 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree! 

I think selling low on Sutter would be a bad move. But if that's the case, how do we afford Boeser? We need to shed some money right now, and if not Sutter, and Eriksson doesn't get traded, then who? 

There's no immediate rush, as we can pretty easily fit under the cap while Roussel is on the LTIR, but we do need to make moves in preparation for when he returns. Eriksson would be a dream, but I'm not sure we can trade him or if he'll permit it. In that case, we might be forced into an unfortunate situation to trade someone like Sutter, yes, though I don't believe Gaudette should get NHL time yet unless he surprises in training camp.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

There's no immediate rush, as we can pretty easily fit under the cap while Roussel is on the LTIR, but we do need to make moves in preparation for when he returns. Eriksson would be a dream, but I'm not sure we can trade him or if he'll permit it. In that case, we might be forced into an unfortunate situation to trade someone like Sutter, yes, though I don't believe Gaudette should get NHL time yet unless he surprises in training camp.

wait. so we can afford Boeser while Roussel is on LTIR? While at the same having Sutter and Eriksson on the roster? I thought we'd have to shed at least one of those guys for sure to fit under the cap, even with Roussel on LTIR. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

wait. so we can afford Boeser while Roussel is on LTIR? While at the same having Sutter and Eriksson on the roster? I thought we'd have to shed at least one of those guys for sure to fit under the cap, even with Roussel on LTIR. 

If I recall, we have a number of players to send down to Utica and either get off our books completely or just in part.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If I recall, we have a number of players to send down to Utica and either get off our books completely or just in part.

huh. interesting. ok. so Canucks know what they're doing :lol:

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Baggins said:

You don't think there's a reason for that? :lol:

Sutter only played 26 games last season. If Gaud was ready to replace him his ice time would have been considerably higher with Sutter out most of the season. Also Sutter kills penalties while Gaud spent a whopping 5 seconds on the PK for the entire season despite Sutter being out. Obviously Green disarees with your assessment Gaud is ready to replace Sutts.

Where did I say Guadette was ready... lmfao I was just saying is one or the other wasn’t on the team they’d both be our 3rd line centre with beagle being our fourth. I was saying where is the comparison Sutter gets 2nd line minutes when health but Guadette get 4th line minutes

I could see the Sabres being a potential landing site here.  There centre depth is atrocious, have a good chunk of cap space, and we have been linked to their glut of d-men.  However, I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.  They know we are in a cap crunch and would likely squeeze us accordingly.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

I could see the Sabres being a potential landing site here.  There centre depth is atrocious, have a good chunk of cap space, and we have been linked to their glut of d-men.  However, I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.  They know we are in a cap crunch and would likely squeeze us accordingly.  

We're not in a cap crunch. We're also not likely moving Sutter any time soon.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh?

Sutter has value as an NHL 3rd line centre.  What wouldn't be cheap?

You type stuff as if Sutter has negative value.  I think that is ridiculous.

A guy who has a combined 32 points in the past two seasons and is on the books for two more years at 4.5 million, has value?  I doubt it.  I think JB would unload him for a bag of hockey pucks if he could at this point.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

On 7/18/2019 at 11:41 AM, Dats hockey said:

Where did I say Guadette was ready... lmfao I was just saying is one or the other wasn’t on the team they’d both be our 3rd line centre with beagle being our fourth. I was saying where is the comparison Sutter gets 2nd line minutes when health but Guadette get 4th line minutes

If you believe Gaudette would replace Sutter as 3C you obviously must believe him to be ready. Because there are other options.

Sutter was 4th on the team for ES ice time. Gagner was 3rd and was Sutter's replacement until traded. Gaudette was 9th for ES ice time and 5th for faceoffs taken among centers. But that ice time is behind Beagle, Mott, Granlund, and Spooner. Two of those spent far more time on wing than center. So really, going by faceoffs taken, Gaud was 5th on the C depth chart last year. So I think you have Gaud rated higher than Green does.

I suspect if Sutter was moved it would be Beagle sliding into the 3C spot. At least to start with. In the end I don't see Sutter being moved yet. He led all centers in PK time per game. You move him and Horvat, who was 6th among C's for SH ice time per game likely gets moved back to being a PK regular. It's better to have him in a more offensive role with Sutter and Beagle bearing the defensive load. So until Gaud rounds out his game I don't see Sutter being moved.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dungass said:

A guy who has a combined 32 points in the past two seasons and is on the books for two more years at 4.5 million, has value?  I doubt it.  I think JB would unload him for a bag of hockey pucks if he could at this point.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d3b1e5f7231737036

On 7/17/2019 at 11:58 PM, N4ZZY said:

huh. interesting. ok. so Canucks know what they're doing :lol:

We have about 5 million with a 24 man roster right now, once Boeser is signed we'll be at 25. Teams are only allowed 23 during the season, so two players will need to be sent down, saving 1.6 to 2 million. That's 6.6 to 7 million in real cap space, plus 3 million in LTIR reflief from Roussel. Up to 10 Million total, without dumping any salary to sign brock.

Has anybody seen or heard anything about Sutter training this Summer?

or even over the past Spring?

If anyone comes back in peak condition to camp, one would think this player would.

Hernia injuries are, and can be career ending.

Lets just keep that in mind.

Edited by SilentSam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This just in.....Sutter will be a beast this year thanks to a significant change in his off-season training:  pilates.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-canucks-sutter-looking-forward-to-healthy-bounce-back-season-thanks-to-pilates

Fast forward to one week of preseason:  Sutter gets injured.  Seems like a swiss ball and rubber bands in the tv room does not make an elite athlete.  Roster problem solved.

Kidding of course........I think.

• Cheers 1