StealthNuck

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL - you did it without even saying their names yet you still made the point.   Well played, well played.   

OfficialScrawnyCaimanlizard-max-1mb.gif

What can I say, just a sensitive and compassionate fellow...

VeeLG_s-200x150.gif

Kanpai! :)

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Other teams wouldn't be privy to inside information like the Canucks are.  The Canucks know his exact health status over the last 2 seasons.  So it is likely that Guddy felt he couldn't have done better elsewhere.

$4M factors in the uncertainty but I think the Canucks still think they have a top 4 player when healthy.  This is obviously up for argument.  If he regains form of 2 years ago, it's a bargain.  If not, they're on the hook for 3 years which i guess is not a disaster.  (ie not 6 years).

well said.

3 years is not the worst especially if you consider the stage of rebuild/transition the Canucks are at.

The issue I have with the signing and with the Gagner, Eriksson signing, is that management keeps overvaluing and overpaying players, giving them the salary and term they don't deserve.

This isn't an issue now but in 3 years when you are trying to round out your roster for a playoff push, you don't want to have wasted all those valuable dollars and cap space. But like you mentioned the Canucks still think they have a top 4 player when healthy.This is obviously up for argument.

12 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

For sure there have been many advancements in surgery for these types of injuries. I have a buddy who had his shoulder totally rebuilt and he is definitely better off now and relatively back to the same strength. He swears his grip strength has increased but  thinks this is a direct result from the physical therapy and new exercises that he never did before.

Either way I think you are right in the fact that there really shouldn't be a worry in terms of Guddys abilities once he is cleared to play. Doctors and procedures are getting better by the day

If he was a pitcher, I would have some unease.    Perhaps it will help his shooting percentage!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The issue I have with the signing and with the Gagner, Eriksson signing, is that management keeps overvaluing and overpaying players, giving them the salary and term they don't deserve.

The issue I have with CDC'ers is not understanding player valuation, inflation or bargaining leverage on a shallow, rebuilding team. It's not 10 years and $23M in cap space ago anymore.

Nor do they seem to understand that with the combination of salary coming off, the rising cap and players on ELCs etc, that salary is not remotely an issue with this team for another 4+ years.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I mean, Gudbranson is signed for 3 years at $4M with no clauses. He played through a separated shoulder for months and was excellent in the last month or so.

So not only is he a large, imposing defenseman who's only 26 years old, but he has a high threshold for pain, and, to top it all off, he wants to be here.

But somehow, there is a negative to find in all that?

He's certainly had his issues since coming here (both injuries and consistency) but the guy is a young, legit, 2nd pair D with size, physicality, leadership, toughness, plays right side, skates well, solid defensively/on the PK etc, etc... We can't pay a guy $4m for 3 years of his prime on a rebuilding team when the cap will likely be flirting with (if not over) $80m by the time his deal expires?

A bunch of somebodies have their valuation meters broken.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He's certainly had his issues since coming here (both injuries and consistency) but the guy is a young, legit, 2nd pair D with size, physicality, leadership, toughness, plays right side, skates well, solid defensively/on the PK etc, etc... We can't pay a guy $4m for 3 years of his prime on a rebuilding team when the cap will likely be flirting with (if not over) $80m by the time his deal expires?

A bunch of somebodies have their valuation meters broken.

Certainly he's had issues, and has beat them for the most part. He's been one of the bright spots on the defense this year, along with his most steady defensive partner in Edler.

This team has needed the elements he brings to the team for quite a while now. Those who look at him and his contract as an issue will see how valuable he is in time.

55 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Certainly he's had issues, and has beat them for the most part. He's been one of the bright spots on the defense this year, along with his most steady defensive partner in Edler.

This team has needed the elements he brings to the team for quite a while now. Those who look at him and his contract as an issue will see how valuable he is in time.

I love that pairing. They were lights out in pre-season too. Glad Green finally paired them up. Also i'm impressed like you with his pain tolerance. That contraption he was wearing to support his shoulder was massive. Makes me think it was just hanging on by a friggin thread. Guy is a beast. Glad he's on our team. Him and Edler could be our next Hamhuis and Bieksa. People forget that Edler is only 32, and it's shown in the past that if he's partnered with the right dman he can really shine. People knock Eddy, but he is a minute munching dman.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler and Gudbranson has been the best defensive pairing this year. I always thought that pairing an equal sized or larger defenseman, especially one adept at physicality, would be the best situation for Edler. I thought that it would allow him more freedom to create some offense, which he has. 

As well, being paired with a defenseman as fearless and physical as Gudbranson has reinvigorated the beast in Edler too. The way Edler went after that coward Johansen was awesome. I've never seen that from him before and it was a very welcome sight.

Agreed, I like the way Edler plays when paired with Guddy. Seems to bring a bit of nasty out in him. I likey lol. It's nice to see him show emotion for once!

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

27 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Shoulder looked up to the task there......

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I appreciate your posting this, but why do people take pictures of themselves and put them on the Internet like this?  I could see the picture being sent privately to close friends and family, but I find this (kind of) weird. They are certainly a cute couple though.

• Upvote 2

On 2018-03-16 at 1:46 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He’s too soft.                               ;) 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-03-16 at 2:41 PM, Alflives said:

I appreciate your posting this, but why do people take pictures of themselves and put them on the Internet like this?  I could see the picture being sent privately to close friends and family, but I find this (kind of) weird. They are certainly a cute couple though.

It keeps the stalkers away Alf,..  guys get em too.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It keeps the stalkers away Alf,..  guys get em too.

100%

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Awesome!

Is Sarah a Vancouver girl? Does anyone know...

Edited by Canuck Surfer

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Awesome!

Is Sarah a Vancouver girl? Does anyone know...

She is a bright young lady from Northern Ontario who is a Dr. of Dentistry and part of a practice in your BC City of Vancouver.   She went to dental school in Florida and now has a practice in Vancouver - figure out the connections!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1