The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

53 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think so. I remember Virtanen being harassed by Clusterbuck last season and managing just fine on his own. Guddy came up to stand up for Jake, and Cluster quickly made a beeline for the bench. I truly hope that shift makes for a new style of hard-nosed, physical, fast, and dynamic hockey.

if these guys can play with a bit more speed and some edge too then yup its going to be fun. When they play like that I really don't care about losses during the rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if these guys can play with a bit more speed and some edge too then yup its going to be fun. When they play like that I really don't care about losses during the rebuild. 

Exactly Jimmy. A younger, stronger, faster, and meaner team is going to be far more engaging to watch than a middling team who really had no distinct style of play or team identity, and got pushed around with little to no response.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think so. I remember Virtanen being harassed by Clusterbuck last season and managing just fine on his own. Guddy came up to stand up for Jake, and Cluster quickly made a beeline for the bench. I truly hope that shift makes for a new style of hard-nosed, physical, fast, and dynamic hockey.

• Cheers 1

Wilson, Kassian, Anderson, Lucic, Martin are all players that say 5 years ago would have had their way with the team without any retribution. Having a beast like Gudbranson on the roster makes this team much more imposing. Add Roussel, Beagle, and Schaller just adds to this. Good times ahead.

I love all the grit man...just got excited for this season! I am not sure how well we will do this season, but I think it's going to be an entertaining one to say the least. A lot of story lines going into the season...who's going to produce the missing offense? Which kids will take the next step? How will Utica do with all the influx of youth? We've got good competition for every roster spot all the way down to Utica and into the ECHL. There is guaranteed to be some surprises this year.

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly Jimmy. A younger, stronger, faster, and meaner team is going to be far more engaging to watch than a middling team who really had no distinct style of play or team identity, and got pushed around with little to no response.

When Dorsett was lost and Guddy out on injury there was not much left. Liberties taken and post whistle scrums where no Canucks made eye contact. Pretty telling.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I love all the grit man...just got excited for this season! I am not sure how well we will do this season, but I think it's going to be an entertaining one to say the least. A lot of story lines going into the season...who's going to produce the missing offense? Which kids will take the next step? How will Utica do with all the influx of youth? We've got good competition for every roster spot all the way down to Utica and into the ECHL. There is guaranteed to be some surprises this year.

Very true. A new chapter is starting. To me, that's the most refreshing part of it. I think the team will play with a lot more urgency, tempo, and aggression which will be a very welcome change and should engage the fanbase.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

When Dorsett was lost and Guddy out on injury there was not much left. Liberties taken and post whistle scrums where no Canucks made eye contact. Pretty telling.  

Very true. Having more players in the lineup with a similar approach and mentality will be nothing but positive.

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Very true. Having more players in the lineup with a similar approach and mentality will be nothing but positive.

We have barely seen what Leipsic can do to get under the skin of other teams.  I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting, if not surprisingly successful season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

We have barely seen what Leipsic can do to get under the skin of other teams.  I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting, if not surprisingly successful season.

Good point. He's got the reputation for being a bit of a poop disturber. Have him on a line with Roussel, and Virtanen. Imagine playing against that line.

I have a great feeling about the season as well. Looking forward to the Canucks being the team to initiate physicality with other teams for a change.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. He's got the reputation for being a bit of a poop disturber. Have him on a line with Roussel, and Virtanen. Imagine playing against that line.

I have a great feeling about the season as well. Looking forward to the Canucks being the team to initiate physicality with other teams for a change.

None of those three players are centres though.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you don't need a C if you're playing like the Hansen's 

True...I love the Hansens. Havoc everywhere!!

Edit: as per your avatar...I am in the middle of binge watching Better Call Saul!! Love it.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

He supposedly had a 'disturber' rep but quite frankly I did not see it. He had a great start after he first suited up but then tailed off. Not overly concerned as the whole team tailed off. I liked his skating and puck handling. He will have lots of challengers for his TOI but I prefer he gets a good look in the fall versus younger players. I prefer the younger players get lots of TOI in Utica forming a Calder capable team.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xereau said:

The thing about these disturbers like Leipsic and Roussel, is they get other players involved.  I can see Guddy getting more involved physically this season.  It’s going to be a lot of fun to watch!  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well, screw that then!

LOL, well Lepsic was drafted as a center. And has done spot duty in the circle as well at the NHL level. Very small sample size tho...but his average is 58.8 and has 18 wins and 13 losses in the circle...dark horse center...!?

He did not play any center during his time in the AHL with the Marlies. The Marlies website shows FO% and you can go back to the 2013/14 season. In all his games with the Marlies he took 0 draws.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The thing about these disturbers like Leipsic and Roussel, is they get other players involved.  I can see Guddy getting more involved physically this season.  It’s going to be a lot of fun to watch!  

...Speaking of disturbers...i've heard and read about your scooter war stories Alf...::D Everyone here knows you love your grits LOL

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

LOL, well Lepsic was drafted as a center. And has done spot duty in the circle as well at the NHL level. Very small sample size tho...but his average is 58.8 and has 18 wins and 13 losses in the circle...dark horse center...!?

He did not play any center during his time in the AHL with the Marlies. The Marlies website shows FO% and you can go back to the 2013/14 season. In all his games with the Marlies he took 0 draws.

Roussel is actually pretty decent at FO's and took a decent amount in Dallas IIRC lol

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm hoping it creates more of a culture shift where guys step up more as well and not just wait for these guys to do something. 

With Ferklund and Brouwer gone in Calgary, and Tkachuk, Kassian, and Lucic good little choirboys when Gudbranson is around, I'm very much looking forward to the carnage that Roussel is going to instigate and unleash upon the Albertans.  It will also encourage others so-disposed like Leipsic and Gaudette to get in on the action.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1