The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luca Sbisa | #5 | D

-SN-

On 9/12/2016 at 1:24 PM, Boudrias said:

Sbisa is only one d-man and yet on these boards it sounds like he is the only problem in his group. As you suggest fans should be looking at who is on the back check to help out the d-man. On the Goudro(?) goal Sbisa had not only him but another forward who was already moving around him on his right side. I never did see who was on the back check. On the other goal he was on the ice for it was a deflection into the net.

All this aside the EU team looks confused on the ice. The NA speed is exceptional and they have had some puck luck to go along with it. Hanson is almost invisible out there. Has he got a shot yet? 

Easily this.  People here have tunnel vision or something?  Even defensive "stalwarts" like Chara (turnovers, getting turned around by smaller, quicker NA guys) and Seidenberg (caught pinching while chasing a hit which led to the 3-on-1 rush and goal) have looked mediocre out there.  Meanwhile even on the goals where Luca has been on the ice he hasn't been the sole problem player out there (he's in position against Gaudreau for his first goal, it's just that Johnny banks it off Halak and Luca couldn't keep the puck out.  The second goal is where many people derive their negative view of him, and granted it was a bad play where again Johnny turns him around but that's what skilled guys do, even to good players; he even had Halak going the wrong way too).  

All that said, I think if Luca can keep playing a safe game for the most part (hopefully paired with a puck-mover like Larsen this season so he can be the defensive partner) he can have a solid season, and though $3.6 million looks rather high for a 3rd pair guy in a league full of offensive talents, his season could be considered a moderate success if he keeps making reasonable plays and keeps instances of getting walked to a minimum.

On 13.9.2016 at 3:09 AM, 70seven said:

Eu looked BAD.  But good on em for pulling out a bit of a come back on the shoulders of Halak.

To be honest, Switzerland who has 4 Players in that Team isn't part of the EU and proud of it. It's Team Europe, not Team EU. Please.

1 hour ago, the harry said:

To be honest, Switzerland who has 4 Players in that Team isn't part of the EU and proud of it. It's Team Europe, not Team EU. Please.

Pretty sure they're referring to the abbreviation of Europe as opposed to referencing them to the European Union. Although I must agree that there is a clear distinction. 

Looks like Luca got left off the roster tonight... they beat Sweden and he likely won't make his way back on. Unless there's injuries... that's rough. 

Wish he could just come back and play out training camp here. 

Surely this can't bode well for his confidence 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly what I was after. Hahahaha.

LOL. 

I'm rooting for Sbisa. I know a lot of fans on these boards rag on him. But I'm hoping he has a good season. That's all we can do, right? Is cheer for the players that are on this team. And if they do well, they raise their value as players, but also good for team success too when each player's doing well. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

LOL. 

I'm rooting for Sbisa. I know a lot of fans on these boards rag on him. But I'm hoping he has a good season. That's all we can do, right? Is cheer for the players that are on this team. And if they do well, they raise their value as players, but also good for team success too when each player's doing well. 

Exactly. Sbisa had issues in those two preliminary games, but essentially so did the entire team. The NA team is a stacked team full of young bucks full of piss and vinegar.

The first goal against that Sbisa suffered was because multiple players blew their coverages, not just Luca.

The second one was him getting straight out walked by a smurf, but one thing I noticed was that Team Europe didn't play a very physical game trying to match NA speed. Bad coaching decision really. Czech played NA physically, and they won.

And Sbisa for all his pizzas, can move and deliver some board rattling hits.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. Sbisa had issues in those two preliminary games, but essentially so did the entire team. The NA team is a stacked team full of young bucks full of piss and vinegar.

The first goal against that Sbisa suffered was because multiple players blew their coverages, not just Luca.

The second one was him getting straight out walked by a smurf, but one thing I noticed was that Team Europe didn't play a very physical game trying to match NA speed. Bad coaching decision really. Czech played NA physically, and they won.

And Sbisa for all his pizzas, can move and deliver some board rattling hits.

No player is perfect, right? 

Sbisa's got his strengths, but he's got his weaknesses. Accept the player for who he is, and nothing more. 

Sbisa's a good dman depth player. He can move up in the line up, but he's more suited for a #3-4 dman. I still consider Sbisa good enough to be considered a top four dman, but maybe on the lower end of the top four. lol. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

No player is perfect, right? 

Sbisa's got his strengths, but he's got his weaknesses. Accept the player for who he is, and nothing more. 

Sbisa's a good dman depth player. He can move up in the line up, but he's more suited for a #3-4 dman. I still consider Sbisa good enough to be considered a top four dman, but maybe on the lower end of the top four. lol. 

I think Luca is far more suited for a 5-6 role. In that kind of role, he'll wreak all kinds of havoc. Good havoc, that is.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just in the Stecher talk and couldn't help notice all the Sbisa "dislike".

I honestly hope he has a stellar season and proves to all of his detractors that he can be a solid addition to this team. And then we expose him to the draft and Las Vegas takes him and leaves our forwards alone. Best case scenario.

Sbisa had the best +/- for a Canuck defenceman last season. He is by far the most underated, under-appreciated Canuck player and for his cap hit and ice-time he may be one of the best bottom pairing defencemen in the entire NHL. He's not going to crack our top-4 and doesn't have to unless we go down with several injuries in which case Sbisa isn't a bad part-time replacement, but when heathly he's a very stable, brilliant 5th defenceman who will complement a puck mover like Stecher or Larsen perfectly.

I don't recall any major blunders or stupid mistakes all pre-season long. He's looked very good and invisible for the most part which is what you want to be as a defender. 

In terms of trade bait he'd probably be perfect for acquiring a top-6 winger because his value may increase as the season starts, but I'd much rather keep him for defensive depth, especially in case of an injury to our top-4.

1 minute ago, ajhockey said:

Seeing Sbisa play tonight makes me wonder if he's actually going to improve this year. He's still young enough that he could find another level to his game.

He's playing third pair.  His confidence will grow.  Plus, he's paired with a puck mover.  

7 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Seeing Sbisa play tonight makes me wonder if he's actually going to improve this year. He's still young enough that he could find another level to his game.

This seems to be a group where team effort and trust will allow individuals to build on their strengths.

Archived