The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

On 15/03/2017 at 8:47 PM, guntrix said:

We don't need Vilardi.

We've already got quite a few centres and the wings are positions of more need.

We've already got a lot of hard workers, we need players with high skill and talent.

His point totals are good but not great. If we're drafting top 5, I'd like someone who shows a great offensive ceiling, not good coachability. 

I'd rather take guys like Mittelstadt, Glass and Tolvanen.

If you have watched him at all you would know the guy has a whole lot of skill. 

And ya we do need a C

15 minutes ago, cyoung said:

If you have watched him at all you would know the guy has a whole lot of skill. 

And ya we do need a C

Can't skate and doesn't produce at a top-5 draft pick level.

And yeah, we need all positions... but there's positions with more immediate need (like LWs and RWs).

Edited by guntrix

21 minutes ago, guntrix said:

And yeah, we need all positions... but there's positions with more immediate need (like LWs and RWs).

He was injured first part of the year. Started slow and is one of the youngest in the draft. His production is good considering all the above. Keep in mind he is effective in the wing. 

I agree though, weak draft class and normally wouldn't be a top 5. 

25 minutes ago, guntrix said:

You're extra annoying today frog. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Tanev is a great asset for the team, whether we trade him for a great return (it would have to be) or keep him for a number of years. He is such a smart player, he should be able to have a long career. 

Honestly Edler is the guy to move IMO. He has been very inconsistent, has some bad injury history and is making more than any other d man. He is on the decline.  

My vote (like I have one) is to keep Sbisa over Edler at the expansion draft.  Sbisa will never equal Edler in his prime, but is on pace to eclipse him at present.  Added to that, Sbisa has shown steady improvement, costs less, plays right and left and has a lot more years to give. 

If JB can move Edler, great, if not expose him. If Tanev gets traded, it needs to be for a huge return.  

My two cents. 

EW

I admit that I flip flop between moving Tanev or Edler. I agree with you that Edler is the best move but it comes down to what you can get back. My flip flop has always been that Tanev brings more back and the limitations of how you move Edler. I see Edler being effective at reduced TOI until the younger d-men can bump him out. With the improved play of Sbisa-Hutton-Tryamkin on the LD I might lean towards moving Edler now.

I am sure that next fall the usual banter over playoffs will begin. Odds are another year of development as the Twins play their swan song. Horvat will assume the leadership and hopefully Eriksson resumes his career norm performance. Once the Vegas draft is done Benning might have a surprise deal.   

• Upvote 2

I’m curious two why JB thinks the teams is in need of an offensive power play D.  If it was such a team need why didn’t we take Sergachev last year? The guys got the shot, the hands and the offensive vision to be exactly that.    And if it’s a PP QB where does that leave Stecher and Hutton. 

I’m not against taking a D in the draft.  I’m actually for it, but the comment on team need seems funny to me. 

Any of the top 4 of Hischier, Patrick, Liljegren Vilardi and we should all be happy. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’m curious two why JB thinks the teams is in need of an offensive power play D.  If it was such a team need why didn’t we take Sergachev last year? The guys got the shot, the hands and the offensive vision to be exactly that.    And if it’s a PP QB where does that leave Stecher and Hutton. 

I’m not against taking a D in the draft.  I’m actually for it, but the comment on team need seems funny to me. 

Any of the top 4 of Hischier, Patrick, Liljegren Vilardi and we should all be happy. 

Probably because he thought Juolevi was the better all-around D - and now that we have that, he can focus on the PP QB 2nd. Not to mention the Russian factor (anybody doubting Horvat over Nichushkin now?).

Juolevi is very much like Lindholm. Now Benning wants his Vatanen.

Edited by D-Money

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Probably because we also need a 'Juolevi' too?

Stetcher's been a great find but I don't know if he's truly got 1st pair offensive/1st PP D ceiling. Same with Hutton. They'd both make either a good complimentary 1st PP D or solid 2nd PP D IMO. Still need that prime 1st PP, QB guy ideally.

I also wouldn't be entirely shocked if Hutton's not in the long term plans. I could easily see us moving him in a package.... Isn't COL looking for a solid, young LD...?

I'd put Mittel ahead of Villardi personally and Makar may just give Lilj a run for his money as well...

Mittelstadt please.

His eliteprospects scouting report makes him sound like a hockey god:

An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level. 
(Curtis Joe, EP 2016) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300831#sthash.HUiN2iEr.dpuf

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Probably because we also need a 'Juolevi' too?

Stetcher's been a great find but I don't know if he's truly got 1st pair offensive/1st PP D ceiling. Same with Hutton. They'd both make either a good complimentary 1st PP D or solid 2nd PP D IMO. Still need that prime 1st PP, QB guy ideally.

I also wouldn't be entirely shocked if Hutton's not in the long term plans. I could easily see us moving him in a package.... Isn't COL looking for a solid, young LD...?

I'd put Mittel ahead of Villardi personally and Makar may just give Lilj a run for his money as well...

I'm not upset with the Juolevi pick but there's still one thing or PP is missing, the big shot.  Between Juolevi, Hutton, Stecher that's not a lot of strength or scoring in the top 4.  Maybe you're right that Hutton isn't in the long term plans.  Av's probably want a more "top pairing" ceiling young LFD (Slavin, Murray, Chabot) but I guess if we offered enough more onto the package their could be a deal there.

I like Mittelstadt a lot but other 4 are "safer" picks and I don't see canucks taking any risks with a top 4 pick.  Makar I have a soft spot, being a Bandit but I wouldn't put him close to the Liljegren, he's not big enough, there is a reason why you haven't seen a D under 6'0" go top 5 in the draft in 20+ years.  And playing in the AJ isn't going to help his case either.  Last AJ player to crack the top 15 was Heatley

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm not upset with the Juolevi pick but there's still one thing or PP is missing, the big shot.  Between Juolevi, Hutton, Stecher that's not a lot of strength or scoring in the top 4.  Maybe you're right that Hutton isn't in the long term plans.  Av's probably want a more "top pairing" ceiling young LFD (Slavin, Murray, Chabot) but I guess if we offered enough more onto the package their could be a deal there.

I like Mittelstadt a lot but other 4 are "safer" picks and I don't see canucks taking any risks with a top 4 pick.  Makar I have a soft spot, being a Bandit but I wouldn't put him close to the Liljegren, he's not big enough, there is a reason why you haven't seen a D under 6'0" go top 5 in the draft in 20+ years.  And playing in the AJ isn't going to help his case either.  Last AJ player to crack the top 15 was Heatley

Hence why Benning still see's the need for top pair, PP QB D.

Tryamkin has a heck of a shot FWIW. So does Subban who could end up being a 6/7 D who sees 1st PP time with the likes of a Lilj, Makar etc. In other word's there's options. But we're going to need a guy to run it from the back end.

Hutton + Baer is a good start to a conversation ending in Landeskog IMO...

I like Mittel ahead of Villardi IMO. We also might still be picking 5-10.

53 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

From his comments, my take is that while our current guys and prospects have some offensive potential, none project to be a, in his words, "true PPQB", at least not as he views one to his standard.  As for Sergachev, I'd presume that there is something about his game that made them choose Juolevi over him as projecting to be a better overall player or better fit for the team.  Likewise as Tkachuk commented, "The Canucks never seemed that interested in me."

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hence why Benning still see's the need for top pair, PP QB D.

Tryamkin has a heck of a shot FWIW. So does Subban who could end up being a 6/7 D who sees 1st PP time with the likes of a Lilj, Makar etc. In other word's there's options. But we're going to need a guy to run it from the back end.

I just see Stecher being our Barrie type D that can be the PP QB, or even hutton being our Ehrhoff.  Enough to be our PP QB so that's why I don't see it as a really team need.  Liljegren is the only player that we can say is a chance of being better than Stech and Hutton,  but the question becomes how much?  Is he a karlson or a Fowler, because if he's a Fowler, is it worth selecting a top pick on a slight improvement over what our own players will become

Hutton + Baer is a good start to a conversation ending in Landeskog IMO...

Hutton, Jake + a pick would be close.  But again I just see them going the other way with a Duchene for (Slavin, Murray, Chabot) and keeping Landeskog.

I like Mittel ahead of Villardi IMO. We also might still be picking 5-10.

Long term I do to, but Vilardi is a safe pick, and canucks don't like taking risk players. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I just see Stecher being our Barrie type D that can be the PP QB, or even hutton being our Ehrhoff.  Enough to be our PP QB so that's why I don't see it as a really team need.  Liljegren is the only player that we can say is a chance of being better than Stech and Hutton,  but the question becomes how much?  Is he a karlson or a Fowler, because if he's a Fowler, is it worth selecting a top pick on a slight improvement over what our own players will become

Hutton, Jake + a pick would be close.  But again I just see them going the other way with a Duchene for (Slavin, Murray, Chabot) and keeping Landeskog.

Long term I do to, but Vilardi is a safe pick, and canucks don't like taking risk players. 

I guess that all depends on JB's assessment of the players that are where we end up picking vs what we already have. 

I'd say Baer's worth more at this point than Jake. Either way, I'm sure with a package around either Hutton + Baer or Tanev + Baer, we could get a quality, top 3 forward coming back from somewhere.

I don't think your last comment is remotely true. And long term is all I care about (assume the same of Benning & Co.).

Edited by J.R.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

As for Sergachev, I'd presume that there is something about his game that made them choose Juolevi over him as projecting to be a better overall player or better fit for the team.  Likewise as Tkachuk commented, "The Canucks never seemed that interested in me."

Benning stated before the draft he had 4 forwards, and 1 D in the top 5 of this draft. The way things played out, he got the D he wanted. I think Tkachuk is, and will be a very dynamic player in the game. That being said, completely content with Olli. I see him being a top pair anchor for this team long term. I don't see him as the top D showman, I see him as the guy who makes the "top" D look better then he is, if that makes sense. The Ohlund to Jovo. Steady all around play can help an offensive D man get the room and freedom he needs to flourish. 

I think some of Tkachuks personality issues and on ice antics might have player a roll in the choice. He tends to play on the edge, and from what I have seen even pretty dirty at times. With the reputation the Canucks have had, I think pushing character was above all. Obviously you need player who play with an edge on the team, but I presume Benning didn't think he was that player.

53 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I guess that all depends on JB's assessment of the players that are where we end up picking vs what we already have. 

I'd say Baer's worth more at this point than Jake. Either way, I'm sure with a package around either Hutton + Baer or Tanev + Baer, we could get a quality, top 3 forward coming back from somewhere.

I don't think your last comment is remotely true. And long term is all I care about (assume the same of Benning & Co.).

I see Baer as expendable in the offseason. If we were to target an upgrade. Hes a good player, but i dont think he will be more than a 35-45 point player. Time to cash in on him and get Domi B)

If we are picking in the 4-8 range and if he is available I think we really need to consider Owen Tippett. The guy is a scoring machine. Having Tippett and Boesser as our fist and second line RW's would be awesome. This team needs goals and size and youth. Tippett brings all of those things. Lockwood in my opinion is our next best offensive RW who would be good on the 3rd line leaving Virtanen as a fast skating 4th line checker. If Benning can trade Edler + Columbus's 2nd for a struggling big centre like NIck Bjugstad who we could add to our depth then that will take some pressure off who we draft. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I see Baer as expendable in the offseason. If we were to target an upgrade. Hes a good player, but i dont think he will be more than a 35-45 point player. Time to cash in on him and get Domi B)

Tend to agree and wings are getting awfully crowded with Boeser, Baer, Granlund, Dahlen Virtanen, Eriksson etc all vying for top 9 spots the next couple years. Never mind any surprises. And the one thing that group lacks is more clear cut top 3/1st line guys. I vote we sell Baer and some of our surplus on D in a package for a top 3 forward. Domi, Landeskog or otherwise.

Just now, kenhodgejr said:

If we are picking in the 4-8 range and if he is available I think we really need to consider Owen Tippett. The guy is a scoring machine. Having Tippett and Boesser as our fist and second line RW's would be awesome. This team needs goals and size and youth. Tippett brings all of those things. Lockwood in my opinion is our next best offensive RW who would be good on the 3rd line leaving Virtanen as a fast skating 4th line checker. If Benning can trade Edler + Columbus's 2nd for a struggling big centre like NIck Bjugstad who we could add to our depth then that will take some pressure off who we draft. 

Goldobin?