The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense: Who do you think will make the team for next season?

Sean Avery

Canucks Defense  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Young D, who do play in the NHL seem to have very high hockey IQs.  This kid is the smartest of the smartest.  He is tall, at 6'3" now, so being thick enough might hold him back a season. 

There is beginning to be a lot more light weight D men making it the league. Tanev and Karlsson are prime examples. 

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

There is beginning to be a lot more light weight D men making it the league. Tanev and Karlsson are prime examples. 

That's very true.  And both those guys survive by being smart.  Excellent post.  Maybe Tanev and Juliovi could be a great pairing.

This roster as is, will have the best internal competition amongst players in over a decade. This is the result of "retooling on the fly".  

We have scouted, drafted and traded for enough guys to really compete for spots. I believe this brings out the best in players and pushes them to prove they belong. 

This is was lacking last year with McCann and Virtannen.  They were gifted spots, as was Vey in his first season and Baer. This year, Veteran roster players will have to prove better than younger ones, for real. 

Sbisa will ill have to come to camp like a man on fire.  Going to be an interesting off season and I am excited for camp. 

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Edler   Tanev

Hutton  Guds

Sbisa  Tryman

Larson

Pedan

I think they carry Pedan as the 13th forward, Beiga goes to Utica as depth.

Teams like NYI and Edm will be scrambling to trade assets that can't be protected in the expansion draft, while other teams will be cautious in adding to their roster.  There might be an opportunity for the Canucks to pick up a player that is an upgrade( to a player that would normally be protected) in a trade for a less skilled player.  Can you imagine getting Nelson or De Haan for (name your player) and a 2nd?  Why not go all out and make a pitch for Strome?  Maybe the Canucks can find their future #1C or LW if they are willing to part with their 2017 first rounder (depending where they are in the standings of course).  Whatever the case...it is going to be very interesting after the all-star break.

Expansion drafts are rare indeed, and the conditions surrounding this draft are even rarer.  We now have No Trade Clauses in abundance which changes a lot of planning.  Juolevi is the wildcard here, and Hutton is the tell to this game.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Young D, who do play in the NHL seem to have very high hockey IQs.  This kid is the smartest of the smartest.  He is tall, at 6'3" now, so being thick enough might hold him back a season. 

I think he gets to start with the team -- whether he gets sent back to Jr after the obligatory number of games is the question.  My gut feeling is that if you choose this guy ahead of Tkachuk (who was a starter, imo) then you expect a starter sooner rather than later.  He is no frailer than Hutton was imo, and has enough brains and speed to make survival even easier.  So... I think he could be in the lineup and never sees another game of Junior... except maybe for Team Suomi at Christmas.

1 minute ago, gameburn2 said:

Expansion drafts are rare indeed, and the conditions surrounding this draft are even rarer.  We now have No Trade Clauses in abundance which changes a lot of planning.  Juolevi is the wildcard here, and Hutton is the tell to this game.

I think he gets to start with the team -- whether he gets sent back to Jr after the obligatory number of games is the question.  My gut feeling is that if you choose this guy ahead of Tkachuk (who was a starter, imo) then you expect a starter sooner rather than later.  He is no frailer than Hutton was imo, and has enough brains and speed to make survival even easier.  So... I think he could be in the lineup and never sees another game of Junior... except maybe for Team Suomi at Christmas.

That's a great point about 9 games with the Canucks before any decision.  I forgot about that.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a great point about 9 games with the Canucks before any decision.  I forgot about that.

Your point about the high hockey I.Q.s is the key: every player we ever had who could make decisions quickly and think the game through has tended to start their careers sooner and last longer -- just look at the Sedins!  It would probably be better if Juolevi was 15 pounds heavier and accustomed to the rough and tumble of adult hockey -- like Laine is -- but I think this kid is so good, it won't make a lot of difference.  Vey got heavier and stronger... made zilch difference.

Btw, you were right about a D being a likelihood at the draft -- I think you predicted this back in March or April.  There were a few forum members who predicted a D being drafted, and some even chose Juolevi above Sergachev and Chychrun.

13 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

We better not lose Pedan, I think he has has the highest ceiling out of all the defenseman. 

Amazing how fast opinion changes. After winning the hardest shot and fastest skater at the skills comp everybody loved him but then there was Tryamkin's first game and Pedan made a really glaring mistake and now nobody seems to care less about him. Just like how he has an insanely dominant fight card, but loses one fight against Bickell and now his ability to fight gets questioned. 

Pedan does make glaring mistakes, even at the AHL level. However, he is such an exciting combination of speed, size, and toughness with a very hard shot. He hits like a truck too. 

Yes to this. Love  Pedan 

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He could play 9 games but they still will need to get their roster down to 23 at the start of the season. They would need to waive someone to make room for him to play 9 games. I think that's right.

Pedan or Larson need to be put on waivers.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of Sbisa or Pedan being traded. However I haven't had this much confidence in our teams D group since we had Ballard as our #6. They may not score a ton but they will be like a weighted  aspergers blanket on the opposing forwards. I would wager the canucks will be in the top 10 of the league in shot suppression inside the hashmarks. Also with Tanev, B Hutt, Gud, Trample walking the line in the O Zone it will be be very difficult for teams to get the puck out often getting us those second and third scoring chances after the initial rush.   

Edler Tanev

B hutt Gud

Trample Pizza

depth 

Pedan, Larsen, Biega, Subban, Stetcher. In that order.

Edit: I think Juolevi should be brought along slowly. Into the NHL. London has a fantastic program. If we truly do want to bring players up in a winning environment Playing for London and Suomi next year is a good way to achieve that. 

This will be Subban and Pedans year to show if they are able to make the jump or not, if not they will probably be moved as Biega and Larsen, Stetcher will be serviceable as depth and we could use them (Pedan, Subban) in a deal to land that middle 6 winger or bottom 6 C that we need. if they are ready then even better.

I don't think we miss the playoffs this year Benning and WD's jobs will be dependant on it ownership will be impatient.  

Unless Sbisa is traded, he is a lock to be on the team. Sbisa is valued a lot more by the Canucks than he is on this board. Hits, skates, can shoot the puck, is a good passer. Thought he was much better last season when healthy than his first season here. For 3.something a year you get a guy that can do a bit of everything better than average.

I think Tryamkin is the guy to make the team. That experiment is still on-going. Larsen would be the 7th D man. Biega is a great utility belt/bandaid guy to have. Wouldn't surprise me to see him clear waivers, wouldn't surprise me if someone picked him up.

Subban should get a meaningful/multi-game call up this year, but I still think another full year in the AHL is ok too. Subban is a wildcard. I'd love to see him get called up and prove doubters wrong, but there's no reason to already be thinking either he has to be on the team now, or it's time to move on.

Tryamkin is a lock unless he is drinking vodka all summer. His play at the end of last season impressed me.I haven't seen Larson play so I don't have any opinion on him. Pedan  has a very good shot as well. On paper our defense looks better than last year. High hopes......

Tryamkin is a LOCK. If he doenst make the canucks he goes back to KHL 

Larsen is prob #6 or #7 D. So he will make team 

Pedan will be #8 D or Utica 

Biega: Trash goes back to Utica. He'll be captain of that team just like last year 

Subban: Useless cuz hes too small. Will be traded or packaged in a deal. 

Stecher: One year of training under Green is nice. Good future hopefully 

On 7/11/2016 at 7:13 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think our top-5 is set in stone, there'll be a real battle for that 6th spot but by the way Benning's talking it sounds like he wants a puck mover like Larsen. Subban should challenge for the spot for a while, Biega is a good safety net to have there but it'll be Larsen's spot to lose.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

I think depending on who gets injured when, we'll see call ups. If a right handed puck mover gets injured (eg. Larsen), Subban should get the call. If it's a right handed shutdown defenceman, Biega should be called up.

If it's a left handed puck mover (Hutton), we should bring up Stetcher. If it's a left handed shutdown guy (Edler or Sbisa), we should call up Tryamkin.

Tryk ain't going down or he goes to Russia

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Larsen/Pedan

Pedan and Larsen will battle it out in camp, and whoever loses will go down. You'll see the winner of that pair spell Hutton, and Tryamkin every now and then until an injury happens. Subban and Stretcher will see call ups due to injuries simply because of the waiver situation. We may not see Beiga called up again unless a season ending injury happens due to waivers and he doesn't really have much upside at this point.

Archived