The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biega: Worst Player on the Canucks

HerrDrFunk

Biega is not that bad. In fact I feel comfortable about him starting as a 6 defenseman. He is smart, and has no real weaknesses, adequate toughness, a good acceleration, decent speed, decent tenacity, can get the puck out of the zone with the first pass, high defensive awareness, solid university pedigree.

Any weakness I can see is he would be overmatched athletically going against a star on the other team, ie. 1:1 with Crosby or Malkin, he doesn't quite have that quickness to stop them. But then again few defensemen do.

It actually speaks to our defensive depth. Sbisa, Larsen, Pedan, Biega could all slot into the pair with Tryamkin. If he's our worst player, thats not too bad at all.

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

What a stupid theme for an article or series of articles.  It takes a prick "journalist" to even think of presenting hockey analysis like this.

I don't even bother reading thesportster articles. Arguably the worst "site" out there. 

10 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I highly doubt Biega is a millionaire. Don't get me wrong, he's making way more money than me but between taxes and his agent, he's probably only taking about 400K a year home.

You ever seen a pro hockey pay stub? I have( not mine of course lol) but on a 550/year contract, the said player was getting taxed 50% off the top, had expense fees(trainer, travel, medical, etc) had an agent deduction. It was damn near 35-40% take home of what was listed. Good to the average person but still a crock... I couldn't imagine having 60-70% in deductions.

Anyways long story short, you're fairly accurate.

Just now, Alflives said:

Sorry, but how could a team's best player be their worst player?  :huh:

I meant as if your 8th defenceman was your best player. Like those nights when the high end guys play like crap and the grinders win a game. 

And a team's best player can be their worst player, Alex Semin, or Alex Kovalev for example lol super talents that could be the worst player on any given night 

3 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

I meant as if your 8th defenceman was your best player. Like those nights when the high end guys play like crap and the grinders win a game. 

And a team's best player can be their worst player, Alex Semin, or Alex Kovalev for example lol super talents that could be the worst player on any given night 

I think you should give up this idea before you convince yourself.  :).  I do know what you mean though.  And that SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!  :lol:

Archived