The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dog Dies Sheilding Baby From Fire

nucklehead

An 8-month-old girl miraculously survived a tragic house fire in Baltimore last week - and she has her family's beloved pet dog, Polo, to thank for it.

The baby's mother, Erika Poremski, had stepped out of the house for just a moment to her car when the house went up in flames behind her, CBS News reports. Poremski's daughter, Viviana, and 6-year-old Polo were still inside on the home's second floor.

The distraught mother and her neighbors attempted breaking into the house to rescue Viviana and Polo, but were unable to fight back the heat and smoke. When firefighters finally arrived, they went up to where the baby and pup were stuck - and to their surprise, they found Polo shielding Viviana from the flames with his body. The brave dog did not survive, but Viviana only suffered burns on her arm and side because of his heroic efforts. Paramedics were reportedly able to revive her on the scene.

Even with Polo's protection, however, Viviana is still in serious condition. A GoFundMe page has been started to help the family with Viviana's medical bills and other expenses, and it has raised more than $37,000 in the past seven days.

Poremski, who suffered burns on her hands and face while trying to rescue Viviana and Polo, says that Polo was almost like a child to her. She's amazed that, when he easily could have run down the stairs and saved himself, he chose to stay with her daughter and protect her from the flames.

"He was my first baby, and now I lost him," she told local news station WBAL-TV. "And I'm just praying I don't lose her. She's all I have and it just happened so fast, I just don't understand it ... She's doing the best she can right now. She's fighting."

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/style/heroic-dog-dies-while-shielding-a-baby-from-a-tragic-house-fire/ar-BBvUOQs?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartandhp

7 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

There is a reason I like dogs more than humans, and Polo is the reason.  There is a much higher percentage of ahole humans than there are dogs.  Good one Polo.

That line always makes me laugh. It's pretty much a beacon saying to everyone, "I'm a loser, but dogs still love me".

...Sorry if that hurt your feelings, but I am human, after all.

Just now, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Don't sweat it, you may not be that far off. 

It's one thing if it's true, it's quite another to indirectly advertise it.

Just act all tough and make fun of the more sensitive posters - that's what the rest of us losers do.

reminds me of the story of the forest fire, where they found a mother eagle on the ground, wings spread, burnt to a crisp. when they moved her, to their amazement, 3 baby eagles were alive beneath her. i always wondered if i would have the courage to risk my life to save another?. the word that comes to me is loyalty.

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Yeah, well my dog stole my last grilled chicken breast right off the dining room table the other night.

If you're anything like me, you probably thought that was an endearing and funny thing your dog did as your wife screamed at you for not being attentive.  

My wife and I have two little dogs...the smaller one (8 pounds) steals everything.  When my wife and I play fight, he defends her with all his honor and without any fear.  It's unbelievable how he tries to protect her if he senses she is being threatened in any way.  It is honestly one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed. 

So sad to read about Polo...brave and protective to the very end.  There's a special place dogs like Polo go. 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

reminds me of the story of the forest fire, where they found a mother eagle on the ground, wings spread, burnt to a crisp. when they moved her, to their amazement, 3 baby eagles were alive beneath her. i always wondered if i would have the courage to risk my life to save another?. the word that comes to me is loyalty.

That's a really good question and maybe a good thread topic.  

Would you risk your life to save another?   

Totally depends who it is for me. 

Im not going to pretend I'm some superhero.   

'Who is in the fire?'

'Dave from work'

'that jerk has owed me 40$ for like...3 weeks.  Sorry Dave'

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Yeah, well my dog stole my last grilled chicken breast right off the dining room table the other night.

Yeah, but were you in mortal danger?

I think dogs steal our food as a form of payment should the need arise where they have to lay down their life for us. Like insurance.

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Found our cat on the table licking the yoke from my fried egg this weekend...I stepped out of the room for 2 seconds.

He's almost killed me on the stairs a few times...Ive got my eye on him.

14 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

That's a really good question and maybe a good thread topic.  

Would you risk your life to save another?   

Totally depends who it is for me. 

Im not going to pretend I'm some superhero.   

'Who is in the fire?'

'Dave from work'

'that jerk has owed me 40$ for like...3 weeks.  Sorry Dave'

last year there was a fire in our trailer park. a man lay on his living room floor..black smoke billowed out the windows. a woman was screaming for help. the fellow who lived across the street, raced over, crawled along the floor and dragged the guy out..they all suffered smoke inhalation. the fellow said he didn't have time to think of the risk. he just acted on instinct. 

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

:lol:

Reminds me of my first dog, Carl. He was a Boston Terrier, and about 10 years ago, wife and I bought some cheeseburgers. Came home, took a bite, and the phone rang. Got up to answer it, immediately turned around and saw him scarfing down the rest of my burger :lol:

This was AFTER he destroyed a $500 pair of glasses I bought. Came home from buying them, took a nap, and woke up with pieces all over the floor. Little sh*t <_<. Miss his personality.

Our French Bulldog, Alice, is a sweetheart. Although, like all French Bulldogs, she can't do much (ie: walk longer than a block). But, like any good dog, she doesn't want to be around anyone else but us. All. The. Time.

Archived