The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Calgary Flames

Darius

11 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Exactly Cat.  Flames fans think they are so much better than the Canucks and the Oilers.   Johnson masked a lot of their problems on D this year.  And hey, i fully admit that Miller has saved the canucks arse numerous times - difference is I know the Canucks are not a playoff threat (unless a 1982 cinderella story unfolds that is).    Flames fans think they have the best team in Canada - well until about 10 days ago anyway! lol!  That high flying D is like swiss cheese and their bottom 2 lines stink.  

I've been saying it from the start of the year,  they just don't have the depth.  Backlund and Tkachuk have been a good surprise for them but they lost too many assets and haven't been able to replace them.  They were stupid not to go out and get a vet goalie and a shut down D this summer since that was there biggest flaw last season.  I don't why the fans and the media thought a team that finished bottom 5 would improve so much,  especially with Hudler, Jones, Colborne, Russell, and Ramo out and only bringing in Brouwer and Elliot. 

Although to be fair, most of the actual knowledgeable flames fans i talked to expected them to range from bottom 5 again to bubble playoffs.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I've been saying it from the start of the year,  they just don't have the depth.  Backlund and Tkachuk have been a good surprise for them but they lost too many assets and haven't been able to replace them.  They were stupid not to go out and get a vet goalie and a shut down D this summer since that was there biggest flaw last season.  I don't why the fans and the media thought a team that finished bottom 5 would improve so much,  especially with Hudler, Jones, Colborne, Russell, and Ramo out and only bringing in Brouwer and Elliot. 

Although to be fair, most of the actual knowledgeable flames fans i talked to expected them to range from bottom 5 again to bubble playoffs.

What must be more disconcerting for Flames fans are the core players..Monahan is helluva player,but I would still take Horvat over him..Horvat is oozing leadership,while Monahan has been MIA a lot this season.......Bennett is struggling,and has no idea what his role is....Tkachuk and Gaudreau come as advertised,Great players....Backlund and Frolik have done most of the heavy lifting.

On paper..it all adds up..On the ice..it does not..and there has not been any evidence that they are a breakout SC contender..IMO..

2 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

What must be more disconcerting for Flames fans are the core players..Monahan is helluva player,but I would still take Horvat over him..Horvat is oozing leadership,while Monahan has been MIA a lot this season.......Bennett is struggling,and has no idea what his role is....Tkachuk and Gaudreau come as advertised,Great players....Backlund and Frolik have done most of the heavy lifting.

On paper..it all adds up..On the ice..it does not..and there has not been any evidence that they are a breakout SC contender..IMO..

They have no goaltending.  They should trade Bennet + to get a real goalie.  I'm glad they don't though, because Alf enjoy's their pain.  

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Yeah, even johnny has taken a bit of a step back.  Monahan still has 15 goal on the season and is on pace for25 goals, 50 points,not back just not Monahan standards. Bennett doesn't know if he's center, or a winger or a defensive player or a scorer.  He was a healthy scratch the game before the TO game. 

Flames just expected all there youth to continue on taking the next step and didn't plan for any sort of regression.  They look disinterested in a lot of games and seem like they are just going through the motions.  Really the Tkachuk Backlund and frolik line is carrying that team right now.. 

It's funny but that 2013 draft which was so strong, this has been a regression year for a lot of the top immediate impact players.  Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Nichsuskin

While the players that were slow coming out of the gate as 18 year olds on are starting to break out Drouin, Horvat, Wennberg, Mantha and are all having career years. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They have no goaltending.  They should trade Bennet + to get a real goalie.  I'm glad they don't though, because Alf enjoy's their pain.  

You don't trade a top end prospect for a short term fix.  Johnson has shown stretches of brilliance but that can't be expected full time. 

17 hours ago, Darius71 said:

(unless a 1982 cinderella story unfolds that is). 

1982 wasn't really a Cinderalla story though....

Canucks back then were a 'lunch bucket' crew that were a hard working group playing a sound defensive system backed up by solid goaltending (sound familiar?).

They beat who they should've beat in the post-season.  We just benefited from "cup contenders" choking in other series (eg., Miracle in Manchester, division leader Stars blowing their series, etc.,).

Typical Canucks luck though - we had our Captain & Leader get injured for the rest of the season in a freak on-ice collision with a teammate that season.  

Oh and....**** the Flames.:)

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They will probably throw money at Bishop in UFA.

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah, even johnny has taken a bit of a step back.  Monahan still has 15 goal on the season and is on pace for25 goals, 50 points,not back just not Monahan standards. Bennett doesn't know if he's center, or a winger or a defensive player or a scorer.  He was a healthy scratch the game before the TO game. 

Flames just expected all there youth to continue on taking the next step and didn't plan for any sort of regression.  They look disinterested in a lot of games and seem like they are just going through the motions.  Really the Tkachuk Backlund and frolik line is carrying that team right now.. 

It's funny but that 2013 draft which was so strong, this has been a regression year for a lot of the top immediate impact players.  Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Nichsuskin

While the players that were slow coming out of the gate as 18 year olds on are starting to break out Drouin, Horvat, Wennberg, Mantha and are all having career years. 

You don't trade a top end prospect for a short term fix.  Johnson has shown stretches of brilliance but that can't be expected full time. 

Its turned into a really disappointing draft imo considering the talent available. Its still an above average year but some guys just haven't progressed as expected.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Weak, can't win faceoffs, etc. But to be fair that team of his is absolutely dysfunctional.

Maybe they need a goalie.  Tonight...4 goals on only 17 shots.  That's got to be demoralizing for the team.  You try your hardest, and your goalies are letting in softies.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Weak, can't win faceoffs, etc. But to be fair that team of his is absolutely dysfunctional.

Down 4-0 to the Habs as I type this.  I never saw this sort of meltdown coming from them. 

Gaudreau has either taken a step back or the league has figured out his little dipsy doodle moves across the blue line.  Monahan has taken a step back - he is invisible most of the time.  I wonder if Hudler was the dynamo that made those guys look better than they are.

Bennett is horrible so far.  Flames fans keep lamenting about his low hockey IQ and non existent vision of the play (cough - sound familiar).

Dougie Hamilton will get 50+ points but is a minus player.  That whole run and gun d is a tire fire.  They make the goalie look worse than he is.

Loving every minute of it. (got that loverboy song in my head now)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe they need a goalie.  Tonight...4 goals on only 17 shots.  That's got to be demoralizing for the team.  You try your hardest, and your goalies are letting in softies.

Yah but Alf, how many goalies do they have to go through before they realize their D is like swiss cheese and they give up prime opportunities.  Most of the goalies they have gone through were actually pretty decent on other teams.

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Yah but Alf, how many goalies do they have to go through before they realize their D is like swiss cheese and they give up prime opportunities.  Most of the goalies they have gone through were actually pretty decent on other teams.

Are you saying it's like the Oilers used to be, example Dubnyk?

Archived