The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] yet another Edler to MTL idea

JM_

So MTL C Galchenyuk is now out "indefinitely" with a lower body injury - not good for MTL to be sure. What does that have to do with Edler? With Dorsett's contract now part of  LTIR we have some cap room to make a deal for a package that includes one of our forwards and Edler, who would pair nicely with Weber, and we can take some salary back and afford to take Markov back in return for the remainder of this year. Edler gets to go to a cup contender so I'm assuming he waives his NTC for that. 

So could something like this work:

To MTL:  Edler, Gaunce - 5.9 total cap hit  

To Van: Markov, Flynn, MTL 1st round pick, 2018 2nd round pick (MTL has 3) - 6.75 mil total cap hit

Montreal upgrades on D, gets a top pairing partner for Weber, and a young C 

Vancouver gets picks and decent filler with expiring contracts 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

So MTL C Galchenyuk is now out "indefinitely" with a lower body injury - not good for MTL to be sure. What does that have to do with Edler? With Dorsett's contract now part of  LTIR we have some cap room to make a deal for a package that includes one of our forwards and Edler, who would pair nicely with Weber, and we can take some salary back and afford to take Markov back in return for the remainder of this year. Edler gets to go to a cup contender so I'm assuming he waives his NTC for that. 

To Van: Markov, Flynn, MTL 1st round pick, 2018 2nd round pick (MTL has 3) - 6.75 mil total cap hit

I would love this, but you know JB just will not trade for futures.  It's not part of his plan:(

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would love this, but you know JB just will not trade for futures.  It's not part of his plan:(

He might in the case of the D group tho.... keeping Tanev makes the most sense to me, if Edler can be moved. 

Edler - McCarron.

Let Bergevin figure out the cap issues on his side - we're just starting to get solvent ourselves, we don't want anyone's cap-dump at this point. 

If Galchenyuk is hurt for any length of time, tempt them with an Edler/Hansen offer - but make them overpay! 

20 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Have you checked Markov's point total this year.  He QBs their 1st PP unit and rather effectively - Weber's one timers are mostly set-up by Markov. 

He has 18pts in 25 games - I don't see them giving up these points for Edler.  Also Markov has a M-NTC - doubtful he waives for Vancouver.

Montreal is built on footspeed of their Fs - that's not Gaunce.  They also have enough C options for the bottom-6 among their young players.  They need a top-6 C.  Plekanec has fallen off a cliff production wise.  So they are left with Desharnais.

At this point the value of Gaunce is probably fairly negligible trade wise. I have been super pleased with him changing mentality and settling into life as a good bottom liner, but that is now where his value lands. I doubt that his value is significantly different from Flynn's at this point (give or take a 6th rounder)

So its a question of whether Edler is worth a 1st, a 2nd, and a roster player. 

Good suggestion, but I was always under the impression that they wanted keep Markov and add an LD; not trade Markov (LD) for another LD.

If the rumours regarding Pacioretty are true, perhaps Edler + for Pacioretty + makes sense? We get a 30 goal scorer that JB wanted since summer and they get a quality LD that can lessen the load on Markov. Edler can help their PP#2 and in a top 4 role, he will flourish like he did here behind Hamhuis and Salo.

But I guess with Galchnyuk out with an injury now, I don't see the Habs trading away their goal scorer.

Markov may be old but he's no cap dump. He's worth every penny of his cap hit and more to their fan base. It would be like the Canucks trading Salo in the final year of his contract as a throw in cap dump. Arguably MTL is more competitive right now in a win now mode with Markov than they would be with Edler. 

38 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

1st. Edler is out 4-6 weeks right now 

2nd Edler is not an upgrade on Markov

3rd Flynn > Gaunce.

So for the honour of downgrading on both players Montreal gets to pay a 1st and a 2nd? Good luck with that. 

If Edler's not an upgrade on a 37 year old Markov then we're in trouble trade-wise for him. Flynn has 20 goals for his career and is 28 - again if Gaunce isn't an upgrade then we're really really in trouble!

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Markov may be old but he's no cap dump. He's worth every penny of his cap hit and more to their fan base. It would be like the Canucks trading Salo in the final year of his contract as a throw in cap dump. Arguably MTL is more competitive right now in a win now mode with Markov than they would be with Edler. 

Bergevin has shown he doesn't care much what the fanbase thinks!

So, if Markov isn't the cap money back in the deal, there's probably not one to be made involving Edler. But maybe there is smaller F deal that could be possible. 

30 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Bergevin has shown he doesn't care much what the fanbase thinks!

So, if Markov isn't the cap money back in the deal, there's probably not one to be made involving Edler. But maybe there is smaller F deal that could be possible. 

What about a deal involving Edler for Emilin and some sort of futures. 

Emilin and Tryamkin might be a darn good pairing.  

Something along the lines of 

Edler Gaunce 

in exchange for 

Emilin, De La Rose + 2nd turns into a 1st if they make conference finals.

Its not flashy but I'd almost rather have 30 year old Emilin at 4.1m until 2018 over 30 year old Edler @ 5 until 2020. He hits like a truck in open ice and can pot the odd goal. Having an experienced Russian speaking guy on the back end could really help Tree take it to the next level. 

We have Juolevi Hutton Stetcher and maybe even Subban all very young and smallish in stature or at least physically as our future offensive D we need to pair these guys up with some veteran defensive take you out to the wood shed types or they will get run over by the huge fast hard hitting teams in the pacific. Edler is not a mentor type nor is he physical anymore I don't really see him being here until 2020. Going forward with Gud, Sbisa maybe?, Emilin, Tryamkin along with the aforementioned young guns would be a fairly balanced D corps. 

De La Rose could be a legit bottom 6 power center nothing against Gaunce he's ready now and plays a responsible 2 way game. But id happily flip the 2 for a lil more push back.

10 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

If Edler's not an upgrade on a 37 year old Markov then we're in trouble trade-wise for him. Flynn has 20 goals for his career and is 28 - again if Gaunce isn't an upgrade then we're really really in trouble!

You don't watch much Canadiens hockey if you think Edler is an upgrade on Markov. Markov may be older, but he's  superior player to Edler in most regards. Most notably as a PP quarterback. Flynn, with his speed. Is a good fit on Montreal. He may not be an out and out better player than Gaunce. But Guanches isn't anything Montreal doesn't have available in their own prospects.  

Prior to the injury Montreals biggest need was a 2nd line centre. Now with Galchenyuk out they are very thin durn the middle. A trade for an injured defence an (Edler) makes zero sense considering how well Emelin has played beside Weber this year. 

Galchenyuk will be reevaluated on Weds. Indefinitely could mean a few weeks or a few months. 

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You don't watch much Canadiens hockey if you think Edler is an upgrade on Markov. Markov may be older, but he's  superior player to Edler in most regards. Most notably as a PP quarterback. Flynn, with his speed. Is a good fit on Montreal. He may not be an out and out better player than Gaunce. But Guanches isn't anything Montreal doesn't have available in their own prospects.  

Prior to the injury Montreals biggest need was a 2nd line centre. Now with Galchenyuk out they are very thin durn the middle. A trade for an injured defence an (Edler) makes zero sense considering how well Emelin has played beside Weber this year. 

Galchenyuk will be reevaluated on Weds. Indefinitely could mean a few weeks or a few months. 

Nope, I don't which is why I started the thread, to find out what's possible from those that do.

It sounds like unless we're willing to part with Sutter basically there's nothing to be done. Thats OK, EDM still needs D :)

IF we had a poor Dec, & PO hopes became clearly delusional.

Structure a deal around helping Mtl now, & us, future:

Edler, Sutter & decent prospect(like McEneny or Brisebois)    ...9.4 mill cap, for both players

Mtl sends: Plekanec(34 yrs old), & Emelin. + great prospect(Sergachev, Juulsen, DeLaRose), + pick?  ..10.1 mill cap(off books after next season)

Don't know enough about their prospects, but this is where Jim/mgt team would earn their bread.

Archived