The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sbisa or gudbranson

orcasgonewild

59 minutes ago, linden17 said:

this is canucks.com at its best. sbisa or gudbranson? Sbisa this year does have our best plus minus but cmon......really cmon. ? how about using sbisa as trade bait for a draft pick. seriously.....is this for real?

What if we can only get a 3rd rounder for him? is it worth it as we'll end up losing a different player? For example:

Trade Sbisa for a high 3rd rounder

Lose Granlund in the expansion

-2 NHL players for a 3rd round pick

Granlund > 3rd rounder for me.

I would say if we can get a high second for Sbisa or a late first then we could pull the trigger.

Next year we have if we lose Sbisa:

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Sedin Sedin Rodin

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Virtanen Gaunce Boeser

Dorsett Burr?

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Pedan Subban

3 minutes ago, Derp... said:

What if we can only get a 3rd rounder for him? is it worth it as we'll end up losing a different player? For example:

Trade Sbisa for a high 3rd rounder

Lose Granlund in the expansion

-2 NHL players for a 3rd round pick

Granlund > 3rd rounder for me.

I would say if we can get a high second for Sbisa or a late first then we could pull the trigger.

Next year we have if we lose Sbisa:

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Sedin Sedin Rodin

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Virtanen Gaunce Boeser

Dorsett Burr?

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Juolevi Tryamkin

Pedan Subban

gudbranson? thats the key. we cant lose this guy. and juolevi is atleast one or two years away.

Protected

sedin Sedin ericcsson

sutter Horvat Granlund 

beartschi

exposed: Hansen and Gaunce

Protected:

edler

Tanev

Gudbranson - harder to find right shot d man

exposed: Sbisa 

Protected: Markstrom

Its time we trade Sbisa while he is playing well and get an asset then insert Biega into the lineup and get him enough games to be expansion eligible

Trade one of Sbisa, Tanev, Edler and Gudbranson for the best return and the least loss to the organization. 

Sbisa should be worth worth a prospect or 2nd rounder to a playoff bound team.  He has been playing well and worth his current contract.  His minutes, along with Gudbranson's would be easier to replace than others. 

He is very versatile and we will likely look back and feel that we let him go cheaply in a few years. 

Gudbranson, has not played all that well in a very small sample with an injury, so hard to assess value. It is never good to sell an asset in those conditions. We won't get back what we paid for him.

So his value is low atm and he won't be back in the lineup until close to the TDL. Based on that alone, we keep him. He does provide a type of player that we certainly lack, one year younger than Sbisa, who has greatly improved. No reason to count out this 3rd OA pick yet, he is about to hit his prime. He would get a 2nd or a prospect, like Sbisa.

Edler and Tanev.  Both are back and showing fans, GM's and other players how important they are as players. Both are on great contracts for the value with term left.  They would be highly sought after at the TDL for any team with a shot at the cup. 

The return would have to be a 1st rounder, a really good prospect and a usable depth player that could be exposed to Vegas. 

We would have a huge hole to fill. Hutton, Trymakin and Sbisa can all take top 4 minutes on the left side and Juolevi is in the wings.  

On the right side we have Guddy and Stecher. Both Sbisa and Trymakin can play RHD, but top 4 minutes on their off side?  Brisbiois and Subban are in the wings, but both are a long way off.  

We can likely absorb the loss of Edler easier than the loss of Tanev.  Tanev can be traded to any team and Edler would have to waive his NTC.  

Tough choices all around.  Losing one of these players to Vegas is ridiculous. Someone needs to go. Who goes will tell us a lot about JB's path with this franchise. If Sbisa goes, then JB thinks we can become competitive within a year or two. If one of Tanev and Edler leave, JB has gotten the message and is going to complete the rebuild properly.  If Guddy goes, then JB is an idiot for buying high and selling low. 

EW

Trade Sbisa and keep Guds. Guds is a heavy right handed Dman which is hard to get. He's not played enough and his value is low with his injury and has struggled this year at times. We paid for him so lets keep him not flip him in a knee jerk reaction. I'm sure a team will want a guy like Sbisa, who's played better this year, at the trade dead line. A high second or a first would be super great but it takes two to trade so can't just say 'he's worth a top ten pick' and then be mad when he gets less.

Bring up someone from the minors and play them a bunch of games then expose them to the expansion draft. Done.

6 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Trade one of Sbisa, Tanev, Edler and Gudbranson for the best return and the least loss to the organization. 

Sbisa should be worth worth a prospect or 2nd rounder to a playoff bound team.  He has been playing well and worth his current contract.  His minutes, along with Gudbranson's would be easier to replace than others. 

He is very versatile and we will likely look back and feel that we let him go cheaply in a few years. 

Gudbranson, has not played all that well in a very small sample with an injury, so hard to assess value. It is never good to sell an asset in those conditions. We won't get back what we paid for him.

So his value is low atm and he won't be back in the lineup until close to the TDL. Based on that alone, we keep him. He does provide a type of player that we certainly lack, one year younger than Sbisa, who has greatly improved. No reason to count out this 3rd OA pick yet, he is about to hit his prime. He would get a 2nd or a prospect, like Sbisa.

Edler and Tanev.  Both are back and showing fans, GM's and other players how important they are as players. Both are on great contracts for the value with term left.  They would be highly sought after at the TDL for any team with a shot at the cup. 

The return would have to be a 1st rounder, a really good prospect and a usable depth player that could be exposed to Vegas. 

We would have a huge hole to fill. Hutton, Trymakin and Sbisa can all take top 4 minutes on the left side and Juolevi is in the wings.  

On the right side we have Guddy and Stecher. Both Sbisa and Trymakin can play RHD, but top 4 minutes on their off side?  Brisbiois and Subban are in the wings, but both are a long way off.  

We can likely absorb the loss of Edler easier than the loss of Tanev.  Tanev can be traded to any team and Edler would have to waive his NTC.  

Tough choices all around.  Losing one of these players to Vegas is ridiculous. Someone needs to go. Who goes will tell us a lot about JB's path with this franchise. If Sbisa goes, then JB thinks we can become competitive within a year or two. If one of Tanev and Edler leave, JB has gotten the message and is going to complete the rebuild properly.  If Guddy goes, then JB is an idiot for buying high and selling low. 

EW

Good summary of the situation.

I have wanted to trade Tanev all season simply because of perceived value and because his NTC does not kick in until summer. It would be a hard decision especially watching his great play against Edmonton. Tanev would bring back the most and that is why I do the deal. From a development perspective the Canucks need a heavier d-core that can handle CUP play not just regular season play. My gut fear with Tanev is that a heavy game can put him out. The same could be said about Stecher but he has a ozone upside that Tanev does not appear to have. Hopefully Tanev would bring back a prospect and draft pick that could help the front end.

Edler at 20 minutes of TOI is still a very effective two way d-man. (Still made a couple of bad plays last night) He could finish his contract and maybe even renew. By the time he is ready to retire or move on Joulevi should be ready (2 years).

Sbisa was a top d-man again last night. As suggested Tryamkin is showing more every game. Hutton has the offence potential along with Stecher. Guddy is still a question but it is way to early to pass judgement. I like the look of this group and it is fast becoming/is the backbone of the team.

5 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

in the events of an expansion draft do you protect sbisa or Gudbranson? 

I personally want both so please give your input.

Or maybe there's someone else you would expose. Let me know 

Both, expose Edler, he's the least likely to be picked and if he does it's $5m+ of cap space and one lose NTC to deal with.

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Good summary of the situation.

I have wanted to trade Tanev all season simply because of perceived value and because his NTC does not kick in until summer. It would be a hard decision especially watching his great play against Edmonton. Tanev would bring back the most and that is why I do the deal. From a development perspective the Canucks need a heavier d-core that can handle CUP play not just regular season play. My gut fear with Tanev is that a heavy game can put him out. The same could be said about Stecher but he has a ozone upside that Tanev does not appear to have. Hopefully Tanev would bring back a prospect and draft pick that could help the front end.

Edler at 20 minutes of TOI is still a very effective two way d-man. (Still made a couple of bad plays last night) He could finish his contract and maybe even renew. By the time he is ready to retire or move on Joulevi should be ready (2 years).

Sbisa was a top d-man again last night. As suggested Tryamkin is showing more every game. Hutton has the offence potential along with Stecher. Guddy is still a question but it is way to early to pass judgement. I like the look of this group and it is fast becoming/is the backbone of the team.

Agree with you that Tanev would be easier to trade and have higher value.  Have not thought about durability with Tanev but it is already an issue with Edler. Looking forward, I would rather have Tanev on the team than Edler in 2 years.  But something has to give and the assets coming back in a TDL deal for Tanev could ease the pain of losing him. It's him or Edler from my POV. 

Honestly, from an asset management prespective Sbisa needs to stay. Plays both sides, physical and appears to be putting things together. Not the time to move him, only to watch him become the player he was drafted to be next year in another club. 

EW

Pesonally I think Gudbranson is a bust the games to fast for him he's been awful. Sbisa's been great our d right now are looking really good, we dont win the last three games with guddy in the lineup. Plus someone said he turned down 4.5mil from fla what a joke we gotta ditch this clown keep Sbisa and expose BIEGA just makes sense going forward when Juolevi is ready we can trade Hutton or Stretch I personally like the D were playing now.

56 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Thats only if he won't waive at the TDL. Gotta think Edler would hate Vegas.

NTC's are not protected, so don't need Edler's permission to expose him. Only protection of NMC's are mandatory, and we have just 3, Loui and the Twins

Edit: Missed the point about a trade before deadline... of course he would have to waive his NTC to be traded (misread post as needing him to waive to be exposed at the expansion draft)

1 hour ago, Hockey101 class said:

Pesonally I think Gudbranson is a bust the games to fast for him he's been awful. Sbisa's been great our d right now are looking really good, we dont win the last three games with guddy in the lineup. Plus someone said he turned down 4.5mil from fla what a joke we gotta ditch this clown keep Sbisa and expose BIEGA just makes sense going forward when Juolevi is ready we can trade Hutton or Stretch I personally like the D were playing now.

People said the same thing about Sbisa last year.  Guddy is having to adjust to a new team for the first time in his pro career. He has had rough start, but his main partner Hutton has also had a rough season defensively. Guds got injured badly enough to require season disrupting surgery. How long he was playing thru the injury is unknown and how it may have affected his play is speculation.  24 y/o RHD do not grow on trees.  Time is irreplaceable. 

Before writing a player off, perhaps some critical assesment skills should be employed.  Unless you are Mike Milbury, if so carry on.. Lol. 

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

People said the same thing about Sbisa last year.  Guddy is having to adjust to a new team for the first time in his pro career. He has had rough start, but his main partner Hutton has also had a rough season defensively. Guds got injured badly enough to require season disrupting surgery. How long he was playing thru the injury is unknown and how it may have affected his play is speculation.  24 y/o RHD do not grow on trees.  Time is irreplaceable. 

Before writing a player off, perhaps some critical assesment skills should be employed.  Unless you are Mike Milbury, if so carry on.. Lol. 

Good afternoon to you EW.  We got snow here again!  Crazy.

im a Guddy supporter.  We need his meanness in our D.  Our team is way too easy to play against.  

Archived