The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Willie Watch

JM_

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Doug Jarvis knows what it takes to win in this league. He has played the game, he is the current holder for the most consecutive games played in the NHL with 964. Following his playing career, he quickly jumped into coaching career with the Minnesota North Stars and helped the team reach the Stanley Cup Finals in 1991. He coached there for 14 years and finally won the cup in 1998 with the Dallas Stars. He also coached the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins. He definitely does have experience. Remember, I am suggesting this is just an interim position for this season.

While Travis Green is quite familiar with some of the players and has watched them develop into NHL players. It will be an easier transition of bringing in a coach from our own farm team, who has been looking for an NHL job for some time now, than it is to go with another coach that may have experience, but it will take time to adjust and getting to know each player.

I think you've got it right. If Jarvis can't fix the issue, then there will be no denying the need for a full scale youth movement. Or he's able to get things going. I still think this team is a bubble playoff team under the right coach and system but frankly under Willie's system we were very lucky to have won 4. 

2 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Gotta reach outside the organization, not within.

Any ideas on who? I'm not sure who's floating around out there right now. Usually interim stuff happens from within. What I like about Jarvis is he's not going to be the head coach next year, and that takes some pressure off for him to try some new things. 

37 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If the Canucks do decide to fire Willie Desjardins, it would make sense for Doug Jarvis to take over as an interim head coach. Then later on in the off-season, they could bring in Travis Green.

Somewhat agree with this, but you got to ask is  it WD, did WD lose the room or is it simply that this team cannot score and it may not matter who is coaching. Sure the Canucks could fire WD but will it help the team score?        

Nothing wrong with WD. It is our sad sack players. However. The coach will always be blamed before the pathetically unskilled team at his disposal. 

IF we must hire a coach. Travis Green ain't the guy to coach a veteran squad like we have. He will be a lateral move. The only coach I could see making an improvement on our team is Ralph Krueger. It absolutely blows my mind that this hockey master hasn't got a NHL job yet. I think it's a race between us and the Preds to be rewarded with his genius. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Nothing wrong with WD. It is our sad sack players. However. The coach will always be blamed before the pathetically unskilled team at his disposal. 

IF we must hire a coach. Travis Green ain't the guy to coach a veteran squad like we have. He will be a lateral move. The only coach I could see making an improvement on our team is Ralph Krueger. It absolutely blows my mind that this hockey master hasn't got a NHL job yet. I think it's a race between us and the Preds to be rewarded with his genius. 

right cause playing JV 7 mins in a game where he looked to be clicking with Horvat makes a lot of sense..

4 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

right cause playing JV 7 mins in a game where he looked to be clicking with Horvat makes a lot of sense..

Ya cause JV is going to score 4 goals against the Montreal Canadiens to win the game and the hearts of millions across the nation. Snap out of it man. If I was WD or JB I would sent his punk a$$ down the second he beaked off about his playing time. 

^ lol not sure about the "dont need the sedins" comment. we dont need them for tanking if thats what you mean. 

your post reminds me of another thing that WD seems to not appreciate, is physical players. pedan was available like 14 games last year? wd played him in 2..

completely ineffective "PP defensemen" like weber and larsen (come on guys dont fool yourselves these are not actual PP dmen.. stecher on the other hand may be) being utilized over effective shutdown dmen who generate 1 less scoring chance but prevent 3 more. hard not to criticize someone so stubborn 

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Ya cause JV is going to score 4 goals against the Montreal Canadiens to win the game and the hearts of millions across the nation. Snap out of it man. If I was WD or JB I would sent his punk a$$ down the second he beaked off about his playing time. 

willie sucks he put horvat with dorrset that should have gotten him axed right away. How is jake going to be developed if he's playing 5mins a game and its 10 mins between shifts. Playing that soft piece of crap larsen over nikkta and stetcher. Playing ahl skill over girt is insane

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I said JV was going to score 4 goals?

You said "nothing wrong with WD" and I provided a recent example of what I think is wrong with him. I can go on but I think simply the fact that WD refuses to tinker with a losing lineup that can't score pretty much covers all of it..

10 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I said JV was going to score 4 goals?

You said "nothing wrong with WD" and I provided a recent example of what I think is wrong with him. I can go on but I think simply the fact that WD refuses to tinker with a losing lineup that can't score pretty much covers all of it..

Playing JV another 7 mins a game is going to turn our season around? 

Its our players, you can make any line combinations you want, we are still complete crap. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

We don't need "great" we need someone with a better understanding of scoring. I love the Sedin's but that engine is sputtering. And I can't believe that limiting the time of our young players and not playing guys like Stecher is a recipe for success. 

With this roster we do need great. Any average coach isnt going to reverse time and get the Sedins scoring again. An average coach isn't going to get Baertchi to breakout or Eriksson to get out of his slump. Turn Sutter into a scoring center, something he's never been. A really great coach could possibly make this lineup do something but it's just not going to happen with an average coach.

I'm not a Willie apologist or fan, i couldn't care less if he gets fired but it's not going to fix the problem. I'd be ecstatic if it did but I dont see it.

Look at what your saying. Our teams hope resides in giving a guy like Stecher more ice time? That says a lot. I say keep him away from this mess and let him develop. Give our young guys more ice time is going to help us win? Who? Baertchi is getting plenty and not doing anything, Virtanen deserves less time with his unispired play. Horvat is the only "young" guy that could deserve more ice time but he gets quite a bit of ice time.

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Playing JV another 7 mins a game is going to turn our season around? 

Its our players, you can make any line combinations you want, we are still complete crap. 

you sure are trying hard to put words in my mouth..

you said there is nothing wrong with WD. I think there is something wrong with WD. that's it.... not sure why you are brining up all this other stuff.

for example you say we are complete crap and support WD, so can can you explain why its good to play JV 7 mins a game when all the forwards would benefit from playing 12-18 (for development and reducing wear n tear on the high minute guys)

Archived