The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Sharks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is the year we win the draft lotto, because it's a weak draft at the top. :(

Maybe we should trade down, and get a couple later firsts, if possible?

I dunno how Benning is going to handle the first round pick, Las Vegas gets in our way in the lottery and chances are we'll get bumped down again.  Worst case scenerio is Benning picks ANOTHER defenseman.

11 minutes ago, babych said:

As fans we are all certainly entitled to our opinions on coaching, management, player performances, etc and when the team is losing there's certainly more than enough targets to point fingers at. I just thought I'd take a moment to let people know the perspective of Willie's performance from a different hockey market.

So, I live in Calgary and often listen to the Fan 960 on my commute and they were talking about Willie and the Canucks on Friday and the mumps issue. Now, as you can imagine, the good radio people here rarely if ever have anything good to say about Vancouver.. it's actually funny as they still absolutely hate Kesler and love it when the Ducks are doing poorly.

Anyway, it came as a pretty big shock when I heard them praise WD for what he's doing in Vancouver. Their take on it is that we don't have a contending team this year (which I don't think too many fans here will disagree with) and we've been riddled with injuries and sickness all year. Despite this, the Canucks are in pretty much every game and are playing hard for WD. One person even went so far as to suggest that WD be mentioned for coach of the year (he knows it won't happen) for taking this group and getting them to compete at the level they've been at.

I know none of this will change anybody's opinion of WD; if you love him this will confirm it and if you hate him you'll be like "stupid Calgarians don't know hockey" but I thought it was interesting to note that some people outside of Vancouver think WD is doing a real good job.

The team is playing hard for him.  They are professional hockey players, that's their job.  It's Willie's deployment of players that people that watch this team closely have a problem with.  Remember that this team spends close to the cap so they have some players that are professional NHLers.  They are a meat and potatoes team that lacks skill but gives effort.  I'd argue that Willie has done a good job developing some of the Canucks younger players Baertschi, Granlund, Stetcher, Tryamkin.  However the PP is a disaster, Ericksson is not being used properly, his faith in Megna has not been rewarded.  He is not a terrible coach, but not great either.  Just a bad team. 

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This .Calgary perspective of Willie insults the Canuck's players.  "Willie is doing a great job, considering how crappy the Canucks are."  

Yeah no, that wasn't it at all. Look, it's no secret that we don't have a cup contending squad right now. That's not saying the players are crappy, it's simply the truth. Adding in all of the injuries and the recent case of mumps obviously makes things worse.

Their point was that they feel that WD has this team playing hard and fighting pretty much every game is all.

1 hour ago, babych said:

As fans we are all certainly entitled to our opinions on coaching, management, player performances, etc and when the team is losing there's certainly more than enough targets to point fingers at. I just thought I'd take a moment to let people know the perspective of Willie's performance from a different hockey market.

So, I live in Calgary and often listen to the Fan 960 on my commute and they were talking about Willie and the Canucks on Friday and the mumps issue. Now, as you can imagine, the good radio people here rarely if ever have anything good to say about Vancouver.. it's actually funny as they still absolutely hate Kesler and love it when the Ducks are doing poorly.

Anyway, it came as a pretty big shock when I heard them praise WD for what he's doing in Vancouver. Their take on it is that we don't have a contending team this year (which I don't think too many fans here will disagree with) and we've been riddled with injuries and sickness all year. Despite this, the Canucks are in pretty much every game and are playing hard for WD. One person even went so far as to suggest that WD be mentioned for coach of the year (he knows it won't happen) for taking this group and getting them to compete at the level they've been at.

I know none of this will change anybody's opinion of WD; if you love him this will confirm it and if you hate him you'll be like "stupid Calgarians don't know hockey" but I thought it was interesting to note that some people outside of Vancouver think WD is doing a real good job.

Many fans on here complaining about Desjardin have little real knowledge to base their opinion on. I highly doubt Canuck management had any illusion about the prospects of this team going in this season. The process of rebuilding this org is in multiple years not a season. Making playoffs seems to be the end game for a huge portion of the fanbase. It has a visceral appeal but fades quickly. The surprise of the 2016-17 to date is all about how quickly the d-core has progressed in such a short time.

Desjardin does not get much credit but he regularly shelters players as they evolve their games. He does that by playing his vets. It can be frustrating for those who want to see more TOI going to prospects but that is what happens with young players. When the 4th line's play improved he inched their TOI up. In the same way he cut the Twins ice back to around 18 minutes. IMHO what coaching has done with Granlund's season has been outstanding.

Desjardin's coaching can be gauged by the attitude of his players. IMO they have played above expectation. Most nights a solid work ethic.  

21 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

I dunno how Benning is going to handle the first round pick, Las Vegas gets in our way in the lottery and chances are we'll get bumped down again.  Worst case scenerio is Benning picks ANOTHER defenseman.

How is that the worst case scenario?

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

So what? A lot of the hockey is very entertaining. We ARE competing and competing well most nights.

You act like we have been robbed of the cup. We have NEVER won the cup. We were in the finals in 2011 and a lot of teams have to go a lot further back than that.

The Oilers were in for a lot more, as were the Flames, Buffalo etc. 

Why you so angry all the time?  All I asked was how long before they are competitive again.   Never mentioned a cup.  Never mentioned the entertainment value of the team. Never even implied that I have a problem with them taking 3-5 years to become a legit threat again. I think you are so used to giving condescending nerd rage diatribes that you just automatically assume things.

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This .Calgary perspective of Willie insults the Canuck's players.  "Willie is doing a great job, considering how crappy the Canucks are."  

No it doesn't it is an intelligent assessment of a situation, because we are a team short of talent, depth, size and skilled replacements and once again have been ravaged by injuries.

A team like that can go either of two ways, they can crash and burn every night or they fight tooth and nail for themselves, their fans and the coach. Thankfully they have too much character to do the former. How many times our beleaguered team going 1, 2 or 3 gaols down could have given up but they didn't. Don't you think the coach has a lot to do with that?

It is "fans" like you who are so misguided, they actually think we have similar rosters and replacements to the likes of the Leafs, Flames etc. That attitude is lazy, because if you spent as much time actually reviewing the strengths of other teams and less time whining from your perch in Lala land, maybe this place would be a more pleasant place to frequent.

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Why you so angry all the time?  All I asked was how long before they are competitive again.   Never mentioned a cup.  Never mentioned the entertainment value of the team. Never even implied that I have a problem with them taking 3-5 years to become a legit threat again. I think you are so used to giving condescending nerd rage diatribes that you just automatically assume things.

I'm not angry, I just write fluently and concisely, so it may come over that way. 

No you don't mention ANYTHING, you are right - you just say "I bet we are in for 3-5 years of this"

What is THIS? mumps? injuries? lack of skilled replacements? AHL place fillers? - Or exciting competitive performances most night despite all these setbacks. 

11 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Yeah my bad. They did but what I meant to say was that Miller was solid when he needed to be. He couldn't really be blamed for any of the goals against

Martin Jones had to also make good saves. Goaltender is the most valuable position in sports. ;)

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'm not angry, I just write fluently and concisely, so it may come over that way. 

No you don't mention ANYTHING, you are right - you just say "I bet we are in for 3-5 years of this"

What is THIS? mumps? injuries? lack of skilled replacements? AHL place fillers? - Or exciting competitive performances most night despite all these setbacks. 

Calm down buddy.  "This" means being on the losing side of games more often than not.  Exactly what happened last night.  They lost.  The team always puts in a good effort and its admirable the way they performed with like 10 regulars out.

I appreciate that you like to support the team, as most people do in here, but no need to take stuff personally.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

This is the year we win the draft lotto, because it's a weak draft at the top. :(

Maybe we should trade down, and get a couple later firsts, if possible?

I'm guessing Patrick or Hischer are better then pl Dubois.  does anyone know?  if we win I'd trade down a spot and take whom we like if who's left of Patrick hischer or lilijgren.  

wonder if dropping a spot would be worth it though.  Jim would probably stand pat or take a ransom and pick like 7th with like 2 seconds and 2 thirds lol

be like Boston who got all of Calgarys picks. that would speed up the rebuild lol. (if the picks land)

I'm totally down to trade down if the hap between 1-3 or 1-7 isn't that great and we like someone not in the top  3.

I kinda want us to do a Winnipeg thing where we go way off the board and draft a Mike schiffle. they got him at 7 he was ranked like way later like 16th or something lol 

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

How is that the worst case scenario?

This year's draft is loaded with forwards, Canucks lacks any real offensive depth and will get worse when Sedins retires and will likely be left with 1 decent offensive line, Canucks are already set on youth in the defense department, first liners aren't easy to get via UFA and are expensive via trades, etc.

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I have good feelings about Tolvanen and Vilardi

There are 7 or 8 at the top that look good.

This Mumps thing could ruin the trade deadline. Seeing Sbisa leave with "flu like symptoms" would make me nervous if I was a GM. I would not be surprised that there is zero moves. Not Bennings fault just some more bad luck.

Do I understand correctly that finishing 3rd from the bottom means both the Nucks and Vegas would have equal odds at the first round pick? An if Vegas will pick 3rd in subsequent rounds what does that mean for the team that finishes 3rd from the bottom?

11 hours ago, Squamfan said:

what did they ask

It started off with questions about would he waive his NTC, what has Benning said, would he re-sign in Vancouver, Patrick O'Sullivan,

Basically stuff that he won't, can't, or shouldn't have to talk about, as well as lowers his value. I remember last year Hamhuis was so adamant that he'd like to re-sign in Vancouver that it probably lowered his value.

I hear that the After hours got better though.

1 hour ago, Creepy Crawler said:

How the heck is that bad!! it could be best case in this years draft. 

Did you not see the Larsen and Gudbranson trades last summer. If we drafted another D we could use him or one of our surplus of good young D to trade for the forward we want and not gamble on a forward that may be ready in 3 - 5 years. 

9 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Do I understand correctly that finishing 3rd from the bottom means both the Nucks and Vegas would have equal odds at the first round pick? An if Vegas will pick 3rd in subsequent rounds what does that mean for the team that finishes 3rd from the bottom?

That would mean whoever finishes third will pick 4th in each subsequent round.

2 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

We likely finish 28th and pick 6th because Canucks.

This year will be different. We will win the lottery. Pick Nolan Patrick. after 9 games he gets sent back to Brandon. Goes on to lay an egg for his entire tenure with the Nucks. Ends up being not much better than Patrick White. 

Archived