The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 minute ago, BaerToBo said:

Where did I say they were all gonna reach their potential?? Odds are some will fail and some will exceed expectations. Its not like were going to just one year make that our opening night lineup all im saying is our forward core is looking solid for the future and we have something to look forward to

You said your mock lines were lines that "WERE solid" and "could dominate".  To me, that implies you felt the lineup was solid and could dominate... to which I would argue that it only looks that way if you believe these players will hit their potential.

If Benning ends up convincing Gaudette to sign in the summer then I'd be stoked to see a line of Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen growing together on Utica. Finally gives Utica a couple of great prospects to watch. I also wonder what Benning thinks about Elias Petterson. He was just on his Euro tour so he must have watched Timra quite a bit. I've liked Petterson and wouldn't be disappointed if we picked him even as high as 4th. 

So Dahlen becomes our 4th best prospect? We've now got a nice solid base of prospects to go with
Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Dahlen, Gaudette, Virtanen, Brisebois, Lockwood.

Excited to see what else can be done at this trade deadline especially with that Columbus 2nd coming this year as well. 
Still amazed we got Dahlen back for Burrows without and retention.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

Id prefer this guy at LW just like Nylander. I wanna draft a centreman this year in either Patrick hischier vilardi or Mittelstadt. He's definitely top 6 potential 

IMO we still need that 1st line centre and LW 

LW C Boeser 

Dahlen Horvat virtanen 

Baertschi gaudette Granlund 

Looks nice. Like how you sent Eriksson to the Intl Space Station.

I wonder if it works like this, if the Canucks can add another first and pick again in the 10-20 range...

Draft Boeser then sign Stecher.

Draft Gaudette then sign Aston-Reese?

Trade for Dahlen then draft Pettersson?

Edited by Blömqvist

Too bad we couldn't add Pulkinen, would've been nice to give him a shot seeing is that the Coyotes got him for a McD happy meal

But anyways, on to Dahlen, from what Ive read and heard all through out the day, sounds like we've got ourselves a player. From the highlight videos, aesthetically the way he skates and shoots the puck, very reminicent of Nail Yakupov, but nice to see the kid likes to go under the hash to score some of his goals

Don't know if this has been posted, but pretty indepth look at Dahlén from the leafs blog pension plan puppets

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/5/10/11643948/draft-profile-is-jonathan-dahlen-the-swede-we-need

So this kid is comparable to David Pastrnak and Filip Forsberg?

He's a bit smaller than those guys (although not by much in the case of Pastrnak), but so far the numbers seem to indicate he's at a similar level. Let's dive into that a bit more, though, shall we?

First, let's compare how they got their points in Allsvenskan.

5Yvfqzr.0.png

3 hours ago, BaerToBo said:

I think our forward group is looking solid. If we win the draft lottery we'll be set. Also if minnesota is still oprn for business a guy like Tuch for Hansen would be great

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Dahlen-Hischier-Tuch

Granlund-Gaudette-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Lockwood

That offence can score defend and could dominate imo

CDqD1KV.jpg

If anyone's interested in seeing some more detailed stats on Dahlén this year you can look at this site

http://stats.swehockey.se/Players/Statistics/ScoringEfficiencyLeaders/7157

Only 5 power play goals this year out of 24 is a good sign, also has 174 shots in 44 games for a shooting percentage of 13% which is pretty sustainable. He's also +14 on the year right now. His team is also sporting the second lowest shooting percentage in the league at 8.45% and is below league average in goals and goals per game. It's not like his team is very good around him, he and Peterson are carrying them right now.

10 minutes ago, Derp... said:

If anyone's interested in seeing some more detailed stats on Dahlén this year you can look at this site

http://stats.swehockey.se/Players/Statistics/ScoringEfficiencyLeaders/7157

Only 5 power play goals this year out of 24 is a good sign, also has 174 shots in 44 games for a shooting percentage of 13% which is pretty sustainable. He's also +14 on the year right now. His team is also sporting the second lowest shooting percentage in the league at 8.45% and is below league average in goals and goals per game. It's not like his team is very good around him, he and Peterson are carrying them right now.

So much research.

Somebody is excited.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

So much research.

Somebody is excited.

Also lead the WJC in shots on goal with 34 in 7 games. Was the only player in the top 14 with a S% under 15% as well. The 3 guys who were ahead of him had S% of 27(Kaprisov), 46(White), and 25(Ek)

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

That is just littered with filthy stuff. I love when he pushes one guy after he scores.  You're in my celebration bubble!

This is my celebration bubble, don't even try to bring your disappointment bubble over here... Maybe ask for a trade and you can join my celebration bubble.

• Upvote 1

Interesting read from Sweden on Dahlen.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/uffe-bodin/2017/02/28/bodin-en-usel-trejd-som-ottawa-har-rad-att-gora/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The first reaction was something like, "WTF !?"
I sat and worked on a freelance job when Alexandre Burrows name fluttered by in the Twitter stream in the corner of his eye. It was only a couple of minutes later as Jonathan Dahlen 's name also appeared and I could put two and two together and make it to two. Spontaneously feels the trade between the Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks as an extremely short-sighted and stupid business of Senators perspective. I wrote something on twitter like that it must be nice for the Canucks reviled general manager Jim Benning to finally be on the opposite side of a joke. For usually it is he who places talented players against superannuated has-beens.

It was not long before Filip Forsberg -mot- Martin Erat references began popping up. And yes, maybe it is so we will look at the trade a few years. How good Dahlen will be, we can still only guess about. He has made it damn good in the Hockey Allsvenskan this season and is my personal favorite to take home the gold grille as the league's best junior later in the week. But Hockeyallsvenskan is SHL or even the AHL. It is a league that in terms of quality and effectiveness has lost a lot since SHL league expanded to 14 teams. Therefore, I dare not appoint him to a sure bet to become a top six player in the NHL one day. There is much that must fall into place before that is a fact.

Burrows is undoubtedly a player in the downhill, in many ways a shell of its former self from the time when he successfully flanked the Sedin twins and lined up seasons with 25-35 goals a season. It is not so strange given that he is in his 36th year of life, and have reached a stage in his career where all players not named Jaromir Jagr or Joe Thornton begins to lose in productivity and efficiency. Despite this, I still believe that he can fill a role for the Senators, give them a bit more width and edge facing what looks to be a return to the playoffs. Undoubtedly, he will help the club more in this now than Dahlen does. So how short-term affair than is making the Senators to a slightly better team. Whether that will make any difference in a playoff game, one can of course imagine skeptical in terms of how many teams there that are better than the Senators in the Eastern Conference.

What we may not have taken into account is that the Ottawa Senators can afford to do this deal. After a couple of really good drafter has the greater talent than Dahlen in its pipeline. A ranking in the club "prospect pool" before the Dahlen trade would probably have placed the Swede in 5-6th place somewhere with players like Thomas Chabot , Logan Brown , Colin White and potentially  Filip Chlapík and Christian Jaros before the Swede.

So how highly we value the Dahlen than here in Sweden, he was far from being the most valued player within their own organization. Then sacrifice him on a 36-year-old player that you probably have access only to a few months is a different matter. It appears to be a lousy trade, but at the same time a lousy trade the Ottawa Senators survive. Just as the Washington Capitals still one of the most vibrant club, the Filip Forsberg trade notwithstanding.

Footnote: It is reported that after this chronicle was written to the Ottawa Senators extended the contract with Alex Burrows for a further two seasons.

When Jim Benning commented on the trade shortly after it was announced, he said that the Vancouver Canucks plan to try to get Dahlen under contract shortly and that it will then place him in the AHL already for next season. I think Dahlen has all the possibilities to cope with the acclimation without a problem - he has, after all, largely grew up in North America in dad Ulf's time as a player and coach in the NHL - but it feels pretty damn sad at the same time if this should be the case.

That we in the Swedish ice hockey miss out on your chance to see this kind of talent do at least one or two seasons in SHL also as young seniors is a great loss. I hope Benning think about this because I, in addition to the obvious selfish reasons, believe that Dahlén would benefit from at least one season in the SHL.

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Interview with Dahlen on Ottawa's tsn station from June 25th just after the draft.  

Dahlen: I have a pretty good offensive toolbox

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/dahlen-i-have-a-pretty-good-offensive-toolbox-1.515370

Not that it means anything, but damn this guy speaks very good english. Clear, well spoken. Already a better talker than the Sedins lol.