The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think we lucked out on Dahlen. I think Jim Benning got a good look at him while he was overseas scouting Elias Petterson. I'm hoping Benning has the same top 4 for the upcoming draft as I do which goes Patrick, Hischier, Liljigren and Petterson.

No Mittelstadt?

I'm curious on the pronunciation of his last name. Is it "Daleen" like I've been hearing? I always pronounced his father's last name as "Dallen". Have I been wrong all this time?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

No Mittelstadt?

I like Mittelstadt, Valardi and other highly ranked guys as well that I didn't mention I just prefer the four that I did. Right now I see Petterson is ranked in that 8-12ish area but I'm just saying for me I think he's the 4th best prospect.

2 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I'm curious on the pronunciation of his last name. Is it "Daleen" like I've been hearing? I always pronounced his father's last name as "Dallen". Have I been wrong all this time?

Americans I think seem to pronounce it like "Dah-LEEN" based on the World Junior commentary, but to my ear the Swedish announcers say "Da-lee-in". 

54 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Americans I think seem to pronounce it like "Dah-LEEN" based on the World Junior commentary, but to my ear the Swedish announcers say "Da-lee-in". 

Yeah, the Swedes definitely pronounce it with three syllables. Arguably four syllables on the goal calls: almost like "Dah-lee-enn-nuh!" when the announcer gets excited and really stretches it out.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Benning was quoted that he would like to get Dahlen signed over the summer and have him play in the AHL next year.  I wonder if this changes that.  Parts of two seasons in the AHL certainly didn't hurt Will Nylander's development.

Too &^@#ing bad for SWE. Change your game to North American standards and maybe we'll talk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Benning was quoted that he would like to get Dahlen signed over the summer and have him play in the AHL next year.  I wonder if this changes that.  Parts of two seasons in the AHL certainly didn't hurt Will Nylander's development.

I dont think its a horrible thing to keep the prospects at home in an effort to probably generate more interest in the game from the younger generation and in turn increase the prospect pool out of Sweden. Dahlen will probably benefit from a couple more years over there followed by 2-3 in the AHL learning the NA  200ft game. 

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I hope that's not the case with the kid. They need to let the kid play in the AHL so he can adjust to the pro game as mentioned before. Hope he signs a contract after his season ends so we can get more of a feel for what his game is like

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Dahlen's already spent his draft+1 season over there; good 'nuff.