The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Curtis Lazar, Mike Kostka to Flames for Jyrki Jokipakka, 2nd-round pick

LOL - flames fans were mocking Lazar in their forums for weeks, they were even hoping thats who we got for Burrows, now they cough up a second for him.

Does this mean they will protect him over a Ferklund for instance?

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Senators trade Curtis Lazar, Mike Kostka to Flames for Jyrki Jokipakka, 2nd-round pick
Just now, theminister said:

ED spots taken up by Guadreau, Bennet, Monahan, Frolik, Backlund, Brouwer.

Can only protect one of Ferland, Bouma, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Lazar.

Pretty expensive 2nd in that context.

They will expose brouwer and he will pass.

3 minutes ago, theminister said:

I live in Calgary. Pretty sure the Flames won't bother protecting Brouwer or Bouma.

I expect they'll protect Ferland and Lazar with the last 2 spots, and then sacrifice one of Shinkaruk or Poirier. Similar players, so really doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'm not 100% sure Poirier or Shinkaruk are eligible for the expansion draft.

That said, I could easily see the Flames risking Brouwer in order to protect Ferland or Lazar. Flames must think that, with Lazar's recent struggles, he may be passed over by the Golden Knights for a more NHL reliable player. That and if a Brouwer is left exposed, it dangles a carrot in front of George McPhee to pass up on the others since McPhee has history with Brouwer... and also, since Brouwer was only signed by the Flames, it's not like they "lose" a ton if he's claimed... though Brouwer is likely a player that could yield a good return in a trade.

I expect the Flames to make another move or two before the Expansion Draft to address this issue. They're going to lose a good player, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I'm not 100% sure Poirier or Shinkaruk are eligible for the expansion draft.

That said, I could easily see the Flames risking Brouwer in order to protect Ferland or Lazar. Flames must think that, with Lazar's recent struggles, he may be passed over by the Golden Knights for a more NHL reliable player. That and if a Brouwer is left exposed, it dangles a carrot in front of George McPhee to pass up on the others since McPhee has history with Brouwer... and also, since Brouwer was only signed by the Flames, it's not like they "lose" a ton if he's claimed... though Brouwer is likely a player that could yield a good return in a trade.

I expect the Flames to make another move or two before the Expansion Draft to address this issue. They're going to lose a good player, that's for sure.

They are/

Archived