The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

On 5/4/2017 at 10:43 AM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Not saying you're wrong at all. I'm just looking at how he was being developed with Willie making the decisions regarding how he was used in that role. Also, our approach to the retool - rebuild has changed since Gaunce was brought up in a shutdown capacity. 

With Green, he obviously knows the other dimensions of Gaunce's game, which I think he'll draw out in ways that Willie didn't or wouldn't utilize. I'm not saying Gaunce will be Top 6, or an offensive powerhoise, but I do think there's a good chance we'll see him emerge in offensive ways beyond just a shutdown role. That need for scoring still exists, and it'll have to come in-house. Under Green, he'll likely be more multi-dimendional since Green knows his potential and those other dimensions.

I think there's a lot of factors right now that we don't know.

1. We don't know how Green's systems will change because it's the NHL and different than the AHL (if they even change for that matter).

2. We don't know which prospects he'll want in the system right away or call up.

3. We don't know how similar or different Green will be from Desjardines.

4. Green has 0 experience in the NHL at the coaching level. That in itself creates a giant unknown.

5. I'd even argue most people here (including me) don't know what the transition is like to go from the AHL to the NHL. We've seen elite AHL scorers (like Jason Krog) do pretty much nothing in the NHL.

So to say Gaunce will "likely" become multi-dimensional is going to be a guess at most. We can hope he becomes a multi-dimensional player, and there's nothing wrong with that. I do see where you're coming from with past history and all, but this is the NHL. It's a different league entirely and history has shown more cases than not that we can't use the AHL as a means of what to expect in a player in the NHL.

That being said, Gaunce is one of my favourite players and I want you to be right. He at least has the ability to be a 3rd liner unlike the Krogs of the past... there's just too many unknowns when it comes to what he may or may not develop into later on in my opinion.

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

He at least has the ability to be a 3rd liner unlike the Krogs of the past... 

Jason Krog at least served a purpose.  He was a "hired gun" for the AHL affiliate.  Nothing more nothing less.  You can't just have your AHL club full of prospects with little or no decent veterans (else you'll just end up with another version of the lottery pick Oilers - full of #1 overalls but still an awful team).  Krog was an AHL allstar.  

I'm not say you should have the team full of such guys on the Comets obviously; but you do need at least a few (of which we had NONE this past season nor when Krog was mainly signed to play for the Moose).

8 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think there's a lot of factors right now that we don't know.

1. We don't know how Green's systems will change because it's the NHL and different than the AHL (if they even change for that matter).

2. We don't know which prospects he'll want in the system right away or call up.

3. We don't know how similar or different Green will be from Desjardines.

4. Green has 0 experience in the NHL at the coaching level. That in itself creates a giant unknown.

5. I'd even argue most people here (including me) don't know what the transition is like to go from the AHL to the NHL. We've seen elite AHL scorers (like Jason Krog) do pretty much nothing in the NHL.

So to say Gaunce will "likely" become multi-dimensional is going to be a guess at most. We can hope he becomes a multi-dimensional player, and there's nothing wrong with that. I do see where you're coming from with past history and all, but this is the NHL. It's a different league entirely and history has shown more cases than not that we can't use the AHL as a means of what to expect in a player in the NHL.

That being said, Gaunce is one of my favourite players and I want you to be right. He at least has the ability to be a 3rd liner unlike the Krogs of the past... there's just too many unknowns when it comes to what he may or may not develop into later on in my opinion.

Absolutely. Good points. There are a lot unknown factors. Just keep in mind, I didn't use "will" but instead used "likely" leaving room for the unknown factors.

I'm looking at this more from a human place of psychology, sociology, behavior across various situations and - yes, you're right - making a guess as to what the organic result could be.

I really identify with your #5, because I'm taking a step back and looking at how people at large handle change/transition at certain levels to even higher levels - demands, circumstances, expectations, possible scenarios and potential outcomes. Although going from the AHL to the NHL is unique, there are universal aspects, demands, and requirements of a person within the process of change from one level of an industry to the highest level of an industry. 

Just from a life level, when you go from working for a leader who only knows you from a certain lens to someone who knows you and your strengths much better, who knows what makes you tick and what you need, that's freeing. I just can't see how that wouldn't open up other dimensions of his game, skillset, confidence, growth and potential. 

Many, many variables, I know.

I think there's a good chance Gaunce will emerge in multi-dimensional ways simply from a place of deeper trust and mutual respect in Green.

I could be completely wrong. All the unknowns are there for sure. Not arguing with your points at all. At this point, with Green on the bench, the history, I don't think it's unlikely we'll see other dimensions of his game. I think it's more likely.

I get what you're saying about hope. I already have that hope those dimensions emerge. I'm just adding my layer to it but it's not an absolute. Hopefully this gives you a better idea on where I'm coming from within the semantics.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jason Krog at least served a purpose.  He was a "hired gun" for the AHL affiliate.  Nothing more nothing less.  You can't just have your AHL club full of prospects with little or no decent veterans (else you'll just end up with another version of the lottery pick Oilers - full of #1 overalls but still an awful team).  Krog was an AHL allstar.  

I'm not say you should have the team full of such guys on the Comets obviously; but you do need at least a few (of which we had NONE this past season nor when Krog was mainly signed to play for the Moose).

I don't quite understand what you're trying to get at? Do you think Gaunce doesn't serve a purpose?

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't quite understand what you're trying to get at? Do you think Gaunce doesn't serve a purpose?

I thought I was pretty clear; Krog never was signed to be a depth player for the Canucks hence I'm not sure why you mentioned Krog in your post.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I thought I was pretty clear; Krog never was signed to be a depth player for the Canucks hence I'm not sure why you mentioned Krog in your post.

I mentioned Krog because his game never transferred to the NHL. He tried, but it never fully happened as expected. It has nothing to do with what the Canucks signed him for. My context is with the NHL in general.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I mentioned Krog because his game never transferred to the NHL. He tried, but it never fully happened as expected. It has nothing to do with what the Canucks signed him for. My context is with the NHL in general.

Fair enough; my apologies for misreading the intent of your post.

47 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

Don't protect Gaunce, honestly for the love of God.., on the other hand I'm excited about Jonathan Dahlen. I think he will be a 40-65 point player, as soon as this year

And I thought Larsen would be a big addition to our PP. Goes to show that highlights from other leagues don't really mean much. 

Dahlen is likely a year away from making the jump. I suppose I could be wrong but he's still really young and played in a tier 2 league last year. So it would be a big surprise if he makes the team. 

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

And I thought Larsen would be a big addition to our PP. Goes to show that highlights from other leagues don't really mean much. 

Dahlen is likely a year away from making the jump. I suppose I could be wrong but he's still really young and played in a tier 2 league last year. So it would be a big surprise if he makes the team. 

I don't think anyone is really expecting him to make the jump this season. Theres no rush. He'll be playing in either the top league in Sweden or the AHL. 

3 hours ago, The Aquamen said:

Don't protect Gaunce, honestly for the love of God.., on the other hand I'm excited about Jonathan Dahlen. I think he will be a 40-65 point player, as soon as this year

I'll be surprised if he makes the team this year.

On 2017-03-07 at 7:50 PM, gameburn2 said:

Gaunce is playing incrementally better every game.  No scoring machine, I'll admit, but heading somewhere good.  He has a heavy game that is natural to him, seems impervious to injury, cares about improving his game, can play center or wing, and is starting to make real plays.  Needs to be quicker, needs a little more confidence, but he seems on the verge of breaking out.  Compared to some No trade clause ppl I could mention, he seems to be who we should be protecting for our future.  HOW GOOD IS THIS GUY?  Too good to leave unprotected, or so lame in points we can slip him by Vegas?

Disagree. 

40 minutes ago, LimitedEdition said:

Disagree. 

No kidding. 

Protect him over who? What indications has he shown that he's on the verge of breaking out? His 0 goals in 57 games last year? He DOESN'T have a heavy game. He isn't fast. Doesn't fight. Doesn't score. His ceiling is looking like a 3rd defensive forward at best. He's a dime a dozen player, protecting him would be idiotic. 

Archived