The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future begins next year

Bur14Kes17

For the first time in 10 years, next year, the Sedins will not start the season as Vancouvers top line. This has been a hard season to go through and last night really got me down. Willie has made this season even more infuriating with his absolute love affair with Jason Megna and endless decisions to play him ahead of youth who actually have a future on this team. I can't see any kind of future where Vancouvers kids are able to develop with Willie still behind the bench.

Next year I believe will be a lot easier for Canuck fans to bear. I do think Travis Green will be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. Green has seemingly developed every kid the Canucks have had in Utica. Not to mention what he has been able to accomplish with a very mediocre roster this season. He believes a defence first system, but he also works to get kids through the process so that he's able to turn them free offensively. Look at what Brendan Gaunce was able to do last year offensively and the good defence he's brought to the Canucks in his rookie season. He's also not afraid to scratch a stud player when they've had a bad game. Eg. Subban. Do you honestly think Phillip Larsen would have gotten the leash that he did under Willie while playing under Green? 

Barring any trades and before the draft, this is what I believe next years team will look like. If the Canucks manage to get either one of Patrick or Hischier, it will dramatically transform our roster. If they pick 3rd or lower, I believe that player will spend another year in jr. College players generally come out a lot more NHL ready which is why I do believe Boeser will rotate between the 1 and 3rd line with Erickson.

Offseason signing should include a back up goalie for Demko in Utica and a depth d man to replace Larsen. Bachman has shown really well in limited time and looks like he could back up Markstrom. 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser/Erickson

Sedin Sedin Grandlund

Goldobin Sutter Erickson/Boeser 

Dorsett Chaput Gaunce

Labate

Edler Stetcher

Tryamkin Hutton

Tanev Gudbranson

Markstrom 

Bachman

This team may not be a whole lot better next year in terms of games won, but I do believe Canuck fans will be a whole lot happier when we actually see our future next year. If we draft either one of Patrick or Hischier, suddenly our roster will have a whole new look.

thoughts?

The top two in this draft are more like 4-5 or so last year. 

They are not generational talent. Would we look better ? Yes . I do think fans would be disappointed though. They dont seem to be franchise changers at this point.  

The future begins when the sedins retire. God love them, but i wish they were gone this year so we could just roll the dice on the youth and truly start building towards something without still catering towards the sedins. 

Baertschi-horvat-eriksson

goldobin-sutter-boeser

boucher-granlund-virtanen

xxxxx-xxxxx-dorsett

Live and die with youth is the way to go. 

If we're waiting for "generational talent" then buckle up for a generation of draft disappointment. 

I wouldn't classify Kopitar, Doughty and Quick as "generational" and we're developing guys with that ceiling. With guys like this and a good coach we've got as good a chance as any team. 

Patrick or Hischier may not be superstars but that's okay, it takes the pressure off the kids next year, let Boeser and Juolevi develop slowly, and draft two more great pieces in the next draft as well.

Its a process but we should have the pieces to make the playoffs on a regular basis by the time Horvat is 24/25 and that's worth the wait.

29 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

For the first time in 10 years, next year, the Sedins will not start the season as Vancouvers top line. This has been a hard season to go through and last night really got me down. Willie has made this season even more infuriating with his absolute love affair with Jason Megna and endless decisions to play him ahead of youth who actually have a future on this team. I can't see any kind of future where Vancouvers kids are able to develop with Willie still behind the bench.

Next year I believe will be a lot easier for Canuck fans to bear. I do think Travis Green will be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. Green has seemingly developed every kid the Canucks have had in Utica. Not to mention what he has been able to accomplish with a very mediocre roster this season. He believes a defence first system, but he also works to get kids through the process so that he's able to turn them free offensively. Look at what Brendan Gaunce was able to do last year offensively and the good defence he's brought to the Canucks in his rookie season. He's also not afraid to scratch a stud player when they've had a bad game. Eg. Subban. Do you honestly think Phillip Larsen would have gotten the leash that he did under Willie while playing under Green? 

Barring any trades and before the draft, this is what I believe next years team will look like. If the Canucks manage to get either one of Patrick or Hischier, it will dramatically transform our roster. If they pick 3rd or lower, I believe that player will spend another year in jr. College players generally come out a lot more NHL ready which is why I do believe Boeser will rotate between the 1 and 3rd line with Erickson.

Offseason signing should include a back up goalie for Demko in Utica and a depth d man to replace Larsen. Bachman has shown really well in limited time and looks like he could back up Markstrom. 

Sedin Sedin Grandlund

Dorsett Chaput Gaunce

Labate

Edler Stetcher

Tryamkin Hutton

Tanev Gudbranson

Markstrom 

Bachman

This team may not be a whole lot better next year in terms of games won, but I do believe Canuck fans will be a whole lot happier when we actually see our future next year. If we draft either one of Patrick or Hischier, suddenly our roster will have a whole new look.

thoughts?

I like your team, but where is Megna?

30 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Sedin Sedin Grandlund

Dorsett Chaput Gaunce

Labate

Edler Stetcher

Tryamkin Hutton

Tanev Gudbranson

Markstrom 

Bachman

thoughts?

There is a good chance the Canucks will be as bad next year as they are this year... don't start planning the parade!

Just now, xereau said:

The future begins when the Sedins and Edler are no longer Canucks.

honestly I think if the next coach can get Edler down to 17-18 minutes he'll be a solid partner for Stecher for a year or two, he's being over used. 

12 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

There is a good chance the Canucks will be as bad next year as they are this year... don't start planning the parade!

Lol are you quoting me or did you just skip the part where I said "they may not be a whole lot better next year then this year"?

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

If we're waiting for "generational talent" then buckle up for a generation of draft disappointment. 

I wouldn't classify Kopitar, Doughty and Quick as "generational" and we're developing guys with that ceiling. With guys like this and a good coach we've got as good a chance as any team. 

Exactly. Patrick and Hischier aren't generational by any stretch. But I think both can be 70-80 point players who drive their own lines. I've heard Patrick compared to Eric Staal a bunch of times and I'd be more then happy with that.

1 minute ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Exactly. Patrick and Hischier aren't generational by any stretch. But I think both can be 70-80 point players who drive their own lines. I've heard Patrick compared to Eric Staal a bunch of times and I'd be more then happy with that.

Jim's been doing some good work building the team back up, and we still have some major trade points, pre-expansion and at draft day, and then post-expansion once the dust settles and also college and NHL free agency. There's a sh!tload that can happen for this team in the next 4 months. 

Id take Liljegrin or Makar. Depends where were drafting though. Next year we will most likely see a lot of kids transformation for good or bad, here on the big club and in Utica.

Juolevi, Boeser, Goldy will most likely be on the big club competing for spots.

Virtanen, Subban, McEneny, Pedan will be right between the two again. Right on the cusp of the NHL.

Dahlen, Brisebois, Neill, Cassels, Jasek and all the others in Utica will be fun to watch. Will be interesting to see their compete level.

I for one am very excited but also hopeful that these kids can live up to their potential. Also hoping Benning can sign Miller for one more year and truly make next year a Markstrom transition period. Then I would be trading Miller, Edler and the Sedins at next deadline. Thats when this team will begin with the next core. Heres hoping their ready.

1 minute ago, billabong said:

What Winning? You want more of this? 

What the Canucks did this year was great. They competed, fought hard, were on the cusp of making the playoffs and then fell off at the end, now we'll end up getting a good draft pick. This year was the perfect situation. You know, besides a cup. This team needs to come in every year and be competitive at the beginning to prevent a losing culture. Lets hope the young guys can improve while we get a good draft pick.

16 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Lol are you quoting me or did you just skip the part where I said "they may not be a whole lot better next year then this year"?

I skipped that part because most fans want results only, missing the playoffs again will not make anyone happier by seeing the future of a failed season. I'm not pointing out you i'm generalizing what i read on this forum.

31 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

honestly I think if the next coach can get Edler down to 17-18 minutes he'll be a solid partner for Stecher for a year or two, he's being over used. 

Totally agree. Edler at 20 to 22 TOI is still an effective d-man. One of the bigger Oilers took a run at him last night and Edler lost nothing in the hit. He is a big body guy and I honestly think that with Guddy back in the lineup Edler plays off that physicality.

All this aside the LD in Van is looking much stronger. The big unknown is how fast does Tryamkin develop. It will likely tell the tale as to Edler's future. Sbisa has shown the ability to play a pretty solid 2LD this year. I doubt Hutton is going anywhere. I still think Benning has a deal on the burner to deal with his d-core exposure to Vegas. He has a d-man problem and a Baer/Granlund problem. He has to deal.

Archived