The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jayson Megna

I'm not too worried about this. There's a very strong chance that Willie will be relieved of his duties and then his precious Megna will end up playing where he belongs, 4th line or Comets.

If Willie stays though; well, he and his 'life partner' will be good for another tank, and that's a silver lining on this dark cloud.

Obviously Benning was so upset at those "brutal shots" Willie took at management the other night.... That they signed willie's "favorite" player.

Honestly if he stayed on the third or fourth line all season and played his game (hard on pucks and creating offence with his strong skating) no one would have a problem with him. He's a completely serviceable bottom 6 player. I would take Megna over Chaput, cramarossa or shore easily.

People have hate blinders on because Willie gave him a look with the Sedins.... Its no secret the Sedins need someone to hunt down pucks in offensive zone for them. Megna fits that bill. He looked better with the twins than Chaput does that's for sure. But no one cares because Chaput is a few years younger? Chaput has no long term future with this team....Neither does Megna. In case you haven't noticed though we don't have a lot of promising prospects in our pipeline though. You could count on one hand prospects we have right now who will likely make it to the NHL. He is simply a placeholder and he brings speed which we DESPERATELY need. 

32 minutes ago, Baggins said:

i don't have a problem with this signing. I'd rather Megna sitting in the press box as the 13th forward than a prospect that could be playing good minutes in Utica.

The only reason people are hatin is because Willie used Megna in situations where he didn't have the talent to be successful I think. He could have flown under the radar all season in the 12/13 spot. It isn't a good or a bad signing really, you need guys like that in your organization.

For all the hate Megna gets, he's out hustled a lot of promising players this year (Virtanen, Goldobin, etc) and I'd rather have a guy with a bottom six ceiling going all out than a top six project coasting around the ice. Nothing in this contract pencils him in for next year but if we run into the same injury woes next season I'll be more than happy to welcome him back into the lineup. For now though we did need one more forward to expose that's signed through 2017-2018 and Megna gives us that. Solid contract!

3 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

The only reason people are hatin is because Willie used Megna in situations where he didn't have the talent to be successful I think. He could have flown under the radar all season in the 12/13 spot. It isn't a good or a bad signing really, you need guys like that in your organization.

Pretty much this. It's not Megna's fault he gets so much ice time. The effort is definitely there. The talent, however, is not. But it's down to Willie to spot that and he seemingly can't.

Willie's got a fever, and there is only one cure........MORE MEGNA!  Thanks to JB for helping the poor guy out.   

I don't have a problem, there isn't going to be a quick fix to this mess, and we're going to need a year or two more of solid failure before we have the prospects we need to start the upswing.  2020 is going to be our year.....I hope.  So sign the plugs and ride out our time in the basement till it is our time to ascend.

Megna is fine as a depth 3rd/4th line player

He has speed, smart defensively and plays hard. Just because willie rewards his EFFORT to send a signal to young talent that they have to work to get ice, doesn't mean he's a bad player-it means he's giving his all

Alot of comments here seem to ignore something willie has been trying to teach the young talented players and has even stated

Players with little offensive skill really only have on thing to go give, effort, but you need your skill guys to give the same kind of effort game in game out. When your skill guys give the same effort as your depth guys (ie Bo) you start seeing the team become competitive. People should not be ragging on Megna for giving it all, or willie for rewarding it - they should be asking, WHY aren't some of the skill guys 'earning' that ice?

Most here don't seem to understand this

I don't see the problem, 1 year, 675k (basically minimum salary) for a depth player.  Probably will also be exposed to Vegas, saving a spot for someone else? 

Yes a prospect could have filled his spot, but you don't want a prospect playing 4th line minutes/healthy scratch, better to play singnificant in the AHL instead and leave the dirty work to players like Megna.

Archived