The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to approach Edler about waiving his NTC

Hortankin

50 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler has provided numerous incidents throughout the season, but I get it, you're a dedicated foot soldier for your cause.

You make Willie and Edler proud.

Nice work with the omission of certain letters with the unt, there strokes. Is that your attempt at being secretively offensive?

Ace-Ventura-Awesome-Bravo-Congrats-Congr

That stunt made you the brunt of a taunt but it would be a short jaunt that it failed and will haunt him somehow. 

Yes, Edler is terrible. He shouldn't be on this team. 

So the team should trade him to Arizona for their 1st, or to Toronto for Nylander and a pick.

regards,  G.

11 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

That happens almost every game, Edler needed to be traded before the NTC kicked in, Gillis & Benning both goofed on that one

How did Benning goof? The NTC kicked in before Benning took over, no?

Gillis signed him to a very sweet deal, considering what Phaneuf is making. That being said, Edler's inconsistency is his undoing. Far too seldom does he show what he's truly capable of, and because of that, and his age, he's got to go. 

Awful thread start to finish

not CDC's best work.

Would not read again.

Some of you need to get outside.

To Vancouver:

LV 2nd 17

To LV:

Alex Grenier.

We thereby agree to expose Edler.

LasVegas is likely to have a deeper blueline than the majority of the NHL regardless, but I'm curious what kind of deals they'll cut before the draft.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not CDC's best work.

Would not read again.

To Vancouver:

LV 2nd 17

To LV:

Alex Grenier.

LasVegas is likely to have a deeper blueline than the majority of the NHL regardless, but I'm curious what kind of deals they'll cut before the draft.

Christopher-Walken-Bored-Yawn-Gif.gif

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not CDC's best work.

Would not read again.

To Vancouver:

LV 2nd 17

To LV:

Alex Grenier.

Interesting circumvention of elders NTC, way to think outside the box. Could be good for Vegas too. I'm sure elder would be more willing waive to go to a contender after being selected by Vegas.

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Interesting circumvention of elders NTC, way to think outside the box. Could be good for Vegas too. I'm sure elder would be more willing waive to go to a contender after being selected by Vegas.

I think LV could potentially be a good team from the get-go - the expansion draft is pretty generous to them - and perhaps not a death sentence to a career.

I also think there's a general assumption that Edler has been unwilling to waive - I'm not sure that's been the case.

But if he wants to go to a good team, maybe Tampa might be interested.

The next CBA should have a clause negotiated into that goes something like this:

If a team asks a player to waive a NTC, that team must pay  $5 million  to the player asked to waive. this $5 mill payment will not count on the cap.

This would give compensation to the player, who had likely taken a lesser salary in return for the NTC.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

The next CBA should have a clause negotiated into that goes something like this:

If a team asks a player to waive a NTC, that team must pay  $5 million  to the player asked to waive. this $5 mill payment will not count on the cap.

This would give compensation to the player, who had likely taken a lesser salary in return for the NTC.

I like that idea.  but might be harder to give out ntc because it would just become a means of doing business.

I like the concept though. more so for making them uproot then what they lost on their deal. works both ways though. 

I don't see the nhl owners would be fond of that though. not sure if the nhlpa could push that through. 

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

It could provide for a lot of legal wrangling, where it could become a "who asked whom first"?

regards,  G.

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

Well they'll have plenty of time to negotiate when they cancel another season after the current CBA expires.

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think LV could potentially be a good team from the get-go - the expansion draft is pretty generous to them - and perhaps not a death sentence to a career.

The extra-curricular activity there might prove an Achilles heel for players. 

I also think there's a general assumption that Edler has been unwilling to waive - I'm not sure that's been the case.

Edler has gone on record giving sound reasons for why he would and wouldn't waive. 

On January 18 2013, Edler was given a six year contract at $5 M per year by Mike Gillis. However that summer, Gillis attempted to move Edler, to which Edler made the following comment:

"You don't sign a six year deal with an NTC, so you can leave town shortly thereafter."

But if he wants to go to a good team, maybe Tampa might be interested.

Or New York, or LA. Edler is as cosmopolitan a player as their is in the league.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Edler has gone on record giving sound reasons for why he would and wouldn't waive. 

On January 18 2013,

not very current information Phil. 

That was the 1st year of a new deal - 4 years ago.

A lot has changed since then, including Edler's comments on the matter.

Even then, in 2014 Edler said

"but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you."

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not very current information Phil. 

That was the 1st year of a new deal - 4 years ago.

A lot has changed since then, including Edler's comments on the matter.

Even then, in 2014 Edler said

"but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you."

I'm up to speed on that business. Even started a topic on it last year.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Not as offensive or as socially challenged as someone who would call a poster a "spaz"but then some of us have been better raised than you it seems. Stay off the personal name calling and twisting other posters names because you don't agree with them Phil and we will bump along just fine.

This coming from a guy who is the most pompous, dogmatic, opinionated, patronizing, condescending, know it all, abusive, argumentative, hostile, insulting, belligerent poster on the board.

5 minutes ago, amitriptyline said:

This coming from a guy who is the most pompous, dogmatic, opinionated, patronizing, condescending, know it all, abusive, argumentative, hostile, insulting, belligerent poster on the board.

BOOM! SLAAAPPPP!!!!

But I called him a spaz, so I'm clearly Satan....

mfnky.gif

I'm guessing they'd sit down and have an adult conversation with him and his management about the team's current state and direction that would likely be similar to the talks they had with Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis...

Archived