The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

Gotta say - that interview that Kenward did with Green was very good.  He asks good questions.  He may not be a 'video personality' (certainly does not present as slick) but Kenward goes about his job like an old school pro - the interview is entirely about the interviewee.  Sad that it's the case, but there aren't a lot of those guys left in media.

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Sad to hear that...think there is something HUGE to splitting them.  The predictability factor is strong and it would leave opponents guessing.  Right now, it's too easy for other teams because they know what to expect....

I agree

In camp make Daniel and Henrik pick their linemates ala gym class style.  5v5

Daniel can take Horvat and then Henrik can pick Boeser, Daniel takes Granlund and Henrik gets Baer.  

Team Henrik vs Team Daniel. Winner (line with the most points) gets a club dinner and bragging rights.  Then carry it into the regular season. 

Sutter gets Goldy and Eriksson.

make the internal comp between the brothers fun and way less predictable.  

Don't think either will pick Megna!

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

think he will win over the vets pretty fast but also be tough on the young guys to preform

I am excited to see Green take over as WD just did not have what it takes

That might be expecting a bit much considering WD came in as a coach with more success at the AHL level and had assistant coaching experience at the NHL level.

To the people using the Jon Cooper as a comparison:

"In 2010, Cooper was hired by the Tampa Bay Lightning to coach the Norfolk Admirals, the team's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. During the 2011–12 season, the Admirals won the Calder Cup as the AHL's champions. Cooper won the 2012 Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as the AHL's most outstanding head coach."

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Rubbish - These guys were playing on the top and second line and LaBate was no threat to their ice time but was a disaster coming up from Utica until WD worked with him. 

The criticism was "develop young players" WD was doing that with a guy who was crying out for it. That didn't matter though apparently.

Boeser and Goldy were getting plenty of opportunity - you don't seem to have any recall at all.

I'm not saying Labate is competing for top six.  But the ripple effects for the lineup with boeser and a healthy lui.

and optically it made sense to have the above mentioned in the lineup meanwhile Labate playing more "meaningful" games with Utica.

As I said. Context.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Rubbish - These guys were playing on the top and second line and LaBate was no threat to their ice time but was a disaster coming up from Utica until WD worked with him. 

The criticism was "develop young players" WD was doing that with a guy who was crying out for it. That didn't matter though apparently.

Boeser and Goldy were getting plenty of opportunity - you don't seem to have any recall at all.

Newsflash Willie's sorry butt is unemployed.....for good reason 

get over it 

50 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I agree

In camp make Daniel and Henrik pick their linemates ala gym class style.  5v5

Daniel can take Horvat and then Henrik can pick Boeser, Daniel takes Granlund and Henrik gets Baer.  

Team Henrik vs Team Daniel. Winner (line with the most points) gets a club dinner and bragging rights.  Then carry it into the regular season. 

Sutter gets Goldy and Eriksson.

make the internal comp between the brothers fun and way less predictable.  

Don't think either will pick Megna!

I really like this idea. The lines could always be tweaked, but splitting them up would make things a little unpredictable for opposing teams.

Baertschi - Hank - Boeser

Daniel - Horvat - Granlund

Goldobin - Sutter - Eriksson

Looks good to me. That's 3 solid lines.

That was a hell of a presser imo.

You can see what Green brings there from an interaction standpoint - he's got presence, engaged, perceptive as hell - quick and fluid thinker - balanced perspective - driven - obviously a good listener as well as able to express himself clearly.

Has been gunning for this job for a long time - and waited for his opportunity - to the point he's knocking the door down.   Trusted that his hard work and loyalty would be rewarded.   Linden and Benning clearly had no intention otherwise.

Pretty evident that this was their succession plan for some time

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Green can do with this group (and the guys on the way).

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I really like this idea. The lines could always be tweaked, but splitting them up would make things a little unpredictable for opposing teams.

That looks pretty good too, but I don't think the Sedins will be split up, at least not yet. Here's mine:

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund/____

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

____/Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Boucher/Goldobin - Gaunce - Virtanen

I wouldn't mind starting Granlund with the twins but I think we're gonna go after another young top six whether it's a free agent or we get him via trade. 

1 hour ago, unknown33429 said:

That might be expecting a bit much considering WD came in as a coach with more success at the AHL level and had assistant coaching experience at the NHL level.

To the people using the Jon Cooper as a comparison:

"In 2010, Cooper was hired by the Tampa Bay Lightning to coach the Norfolk Admirals, the team's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. During the 2011–12 season, the Admirals won the Calder Cup as the AHL's champions. Cooper won the 2012 Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as the AHL's most outstanding head coach."

Cooper had Kucherov who is a 70+ point player in the NHL. Also had Tyler Johnson. Travis Green had Grenier who couldn't make an NHL 4th line on the 2nd worst team in the league. No matter how good a damn coach is if the personnel is trash the team is going no where. Such as Babcock last season.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Except for Sutter 

he can take his balls elsewhere 

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

If Green gets this team to win a cup in the next 4 years I think BC will become a Green Party Province.

Tortorella = Pie - rella

Desjarden = Of the Garden

Green = Green (He knows what he is, and players will too)

You'll like this Tortore means torture in Italian.  the suffix ella would make it a female who tortured people.  Dominatrix?  is that a streatch?

Or, Torto......injustice......I'll say!

Archived