The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friedman's pre-expansion 30 Thoughts

Worth a read: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-marian-hossa-might-played-final-nhl-game/

Highlights:

- Hossa could retire due to equipment allergy.

- Doan wanted to stay in Arizona, will test free agency

- Evgeny Dadonov [KHL star] going to Eastern conference team

- Vegas has up to 10 deals lined up

- Rangers shopping Raanta

- Cap room for Arizona could lead to more deals

- Vegas could take Petrovic over Marchessault ?!

- Vegas 'we're going to have to move some defensemen because we're going to claim a bunch'

- Eberle to Islanders potentially

- Methot and Neal being shopped if not taken in XD

- Iginla wants another season

Canucks related:

Half-jokingly I'm almost expecting them [Florida] to re-acquire Gudbranson from Vancouver.

Vancouver is apparently offering Miller an incentive-laden contract, so we'll see where that goes.

Vancouver, Winnipeg, Anaheim, Philadelphia, Arizona, Los Angeles, possibly Buffalo, etc. — are going to be on a crazy merry go-round with the likes of Jonathan Bernier, Brian Elliott, Chad Johnson, Steve Mason, Ryan Miller and even Mike Condon, if he does not re-sign in Ottawa.

I wouldn't blame Miller if he walked away from something performance based. I also don't blame the Canucks for offering it. 

The Hossa thing is shady. If he legit is allergic to the equipment, then yes, I'm a douche, but with how Lupul was conveniently injured for the year, this just looks like something to keep the Hawks under the cap. Unpopular opinion, I know. 

The Gudbranson comment in context was that of Florida potentially losing a D in the expansion draft, and losing others to free agency. I'm not sure I would send him back :P

This should be a crazy week. 

24 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I wouldn't blame Miller if he walked away from something performance based. I also don't blame the Canucks for offering it. 

The Hossa thing is shady. If he legit is allergic to the equipment, then yes, I'm a douche, but with how Lupul was conveniently injured for the year, this just looks like something to keep the Hawks under the cap. Unpopular opinion, I know. 

The Gudbranson comment in context was that of Florida potentially losing a D in the expansion draft, and losing others to free agency. I'm not sure I would send him back :P

This should be a crazy week. 

We got Gudbranson for a reason.  I think he'll prove a lot of the haters wrong this coming season.

Hossa's salary is $1 million per for the remainder of his contract. Did anyone actually think he was going to keep playing?

The allergy thing is just an excuse. If they turn it into a reason for him to go on IR instead of actually retiring and leaving Chicago with cap recapture issues, then...well... I'll be just about done with this joke of a league.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Hossa's salary is $1 million per for the remainder of his contract. Did anyone actually think he was going to keep playing?

The allergy thing is just an excuse. If they turn it into a reason for him to go on IR instead of actually retiring and leaving Chicago with cap recapture issues, then...well... I'll be just about done with this joke of a league.

They'll get away with it, you and I both know they will. We'll say we're done with the league, but we'll come back, we always do.

:(

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

They'll get away with it, you and I both know they will. We'll say we're done with the league, but we'll come back, we always do.

:(

I'd be more mad if my own team's GM wasn't a moron, who I hope will get stuck with Luongo recapture just so he doesn't waste more money on useless players!

3.5-4 year ago, I never thought I'd have to worry about fighting for Chad Johnson, Jon Bernier, Steve Mason etc...

Still can't get over that MG shipped out both RG and CS, never would have thought in a million years.

It would be a shame to see Hossa retire (or be moved to LTIR), the guy can clearly still play. But in reality I don't see him playing 4 more years regardless. 

Also, Petrovic is on Florida's protected list. I believe that part of Friedman's article was that Florida was so worried about losing Petrovic that they chose the protect 8 skaters option and as a consequence have left Marchessault (and Reilly Smith) unprotected.

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This piece of $hit Bettman created the salary cap recapture penalty to scare the $hit out of us Canucks fans but has created a loophole around it so that teams like Chicago can avoid being penalized. There's no way that he doesn't know what the teams are doing with this loophole with these fake injuries, equipment allergy that starts after 20 years of career? Let's see what Bettman does if Chicago and Hossa actually try this stuff.

56 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'd be more mad if my own team's GM wasn't a moron, who I hope will get stuck with Luongo recapture just so he doesn't waste more money on useless players!

Different GM man and the deal was made and approved by the NHL before they came up with the penalty for it. 

Its also a brutal thing to hope for. Have you seen Lou's recapture penalty? It's enough to actually hurt us quite a bit when we should be on the upswing and playoff bound. Lou better start itching and claiming he has allergies too if the day comes. 

Here's hoping that the league will re-think its cap recapture policy to let players/teams out of those penalties, or everyone is going to end up going to Robidas Island.  Except for the Canucks tho....I bet if Luongo tried it, there'd be an exception made to make sure we get penalized.

4 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Here's hoping that the league will re-think its cap recapture policy to let players/teams out of those penalties, or everyone is going to end up going to Robidas Island.  Except for the Canucks tho....I bet if Luongo tried it, there'd be an exception made to make sure we get penalized.

You're forgetting to tow the TO line. The Canucks are cheaters while Lamoreillo is a genius!

Just now, Robongo said:

I've had a feeling for a while that we'd be the only team punished by the recaptures. We get screwed again, and everyone else laughs at us. What else is new?

Detroit was penalized for Datsyuk. Although Arizona let them off the hook cheaply for that....awwww crap just remembered who used to own the Coyotes.

5 minutes ago, Robongo said:

I've had a feeling for a while that we'd be the only team punished by the recaptures. We get screwed again, and everyone else laughs at us. What else is new?

LA Kings have the recapture penalty for Mike Richards on their books.  It was actually more favourable than to buy him out.

Archived