The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Vicky said:

I think they're trying to be respectful and allow the team to build/establish their own, new identity.

Didn't see much of the ASG as I'm at a hockey tournament with my son, how did EP40 do?  Would have like to have seen him in hardest shot competition lol

EP held his own but was tentative and it almost looked like he didn't want to showboat to me.  Being PC and  perhaps observing a bit of a pecking order (just my thoughts...could be way off base).  He was one of the only ones being defensively responsible and the  SJ Pacific team was....horrible.  But goaltending also factored in to that...Gibson was atrocious and dug them a huge hole at the beginning.  The pace was that of a snail and it didn't seem like anyone cared so that was likely a bit weird to Petey.  Playing half hearted hockey isn't in his repertoire.  Once the pace picked up a bit , he seemed a bit more in his element.  Had a few chances but, reportedly, is saving it for the real deal.  Gotta love that.  No need to prove anything in a fun game...let them learn about him when it really counts.

I'm sure the experience was a positive one for him but the hockey part was just too lax and meaningless.  I think I get that Petey doesn't care too much about hoopla and is more focused on just playing the game for real.   He doesn't seem to be comfortable (yet) with the whole superstar gig.

People say he's "awkward" but I find the entire setting awkward and he's simply responding to that.  He is humble, honest, and gives thoughtful answers rather than just spewing out rhetoric.  He told Oake he asked a whole lot of questions and that was perfect because some of them were real head scratchers and Petey's likely already fed up with the lack of creativity in interviews and forced camera time.  It IS extremely awkward.  Love that he can put people in their place in a respectful way rather than entertaining some of the mindless dribble.  So endearing.  So proud of this kid of ours.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Not sure how many say he is awkward when hes only 20 y old and still learning the language. He will get more and more adjusted and mature both on and off the ice. Hes a natural on the ice since he grew up skating every day (dad having the key to the rink and all). With the right guidance he will only improve since hes stubborn and eager to improve. What hes doing on the ice and how he has performed is only the tip of the iceberg of his capabilities. 

I think hes also very much like most swedes are when growing up, they follow the progress of the swedes playing in the NHL. Swedish media focuses very hard on the top players. Thats why he doesnt know much about other NHL players unless its the very top ranked ones. Those are the ones media write about while other players often hardly are mentioned. That and focusing on the SHL and swedish national team does take away a lot of attention from the NHL. So dont be surprised if he doesnt know a lot of the players that has played in both vancouver and other teams. Hes part of a new generation and thats not strange or awkward at all.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

ASG

Highlights for me:

- Pettersson beat Rinne with a shootout deke

- Pettersson beat Dubnyk with a shootout shot

- Pettersson finished 5th in the speed skating

- Seemed most of the players were excited to meet Pettersson (he's a star)

- Thinking about it,. doesn't matter what event Pettersson was in, he would do well. He would probably finish top 5 in the hardest shot too.

- An exceptional experience for Pettersson

Lowlights for me:

- Why was Pettersson relegated to speed skating when his shot is so lethal? (my guess is other players are scared to be embarrassed by McDavid in this competition. Pettersson isn't scared of anything. Also, Boeser won the accuracy shooting last year, and the NHL probably didn't want Pettersson to win it this year. That's what fans wanted to see though - his shot)

- Pettersson flubbed the stick handling through pucks during the puck handling competition

- No points for Pettersson in the game. (he seemed to be one of the only Pacific players to really try though)

- John Gibson sucks (7 goals against on 9 shots) - I know it's just a "fun game" but there's a $million prize and bragging rights

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Does the fastest time start when the ref's blow the whistle of when the player moves?  It looked like Petey might've had a faster time had he started right away, he was faster than I thought he would be.  As if the DOPS couldn't screw up enough, why on earth are they picking the participants?

As for the actual game, switch up the teammates at least.  I still think the draft was a decent idea, better than division vs. division, or just do sticks in the middle lol. 

Enjoy the break EP40.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

@NUCKER67

cant just blame Gibbons, one team looked like they were playing Hockey the other looked like they were in their own world..

True, the PAC team wasn't giving 100% (no one really was), but McDavid had chances, as did the Sharks line, Gaudreau and Pettersson had some chances as well. Dubnyk and Rinne came to play and they made some nice saves. Gibson looked drunk.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting. By the timing of this video, Pettersson basically tied Barzal in the fastest skater competition and was closer to Eichel and McDavid than it looked.

EDIT: The video was removed, but check Where's Wellwood's comment below for the version on Reddit.

• Like 1

Its also interesting that they mentioned that on elias last turn he didnt crossover so he missed out on the final acceleration  which meant he most likely would have gotten a better time had he done that crossover in the last turn. 

Edited by Mrwipeout
spelling error

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting. By the timing of this video, Pettersson basically tied Barzal in the fastest skater competition and was closer to Eichel and McDavid than it looked.

I don't know if the video was by the same person but this reddit post showed how Pettersson did better than timed

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I don't know if the video was by the same person but this reddit post showed how Pettersson did better than timed

Same video and same user, yep. Thanks for sharing anyways though since the YouTube version was deleted, haha.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Ellias is not as fast as those other skaters, but he's a lot smarter.  He cuts the corners to reduce the distance he needs to skate.  This ALIEN intelligence is what makes Elias so great.  He thinks better than anyone else.  He's always looking ahead to see how to best gain an advantage.  

Most importantly though?  HE IS OURS!!!!:towel:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

EP40 has to let someone else win ROM once this year.  Had he had a game post the all star game he would have taken it.  

On a side note, this extended break benefits the Canucks hugely.  They have a the first half to breakdown and make change and then have the practice time to get that together before their second half starts.  Plus added healing time.

It seems like ages since these guys have hit the ice.  Looking forward to a solid push from here on out.  

9 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

EP40 has to let someone else win ROM once this year.  Had he had a game post the all star game he would have taken it.  

Dahlin already won in November. If he wins, both he and EP will have 2 wins this year so far.

• Cheers 1

It isn’t easy racking up points in the SHL, a notoriously defensive league. 

Just had a look at the points leaders this year by chance. 

Jacob Lilja leads with 32 pts in 37 games ahead of former Sabres and team Canada centre Derek Roy with 30 pts in 34 games. 

None are anywhere close to Elias’ pace with 56 ppt in 44 games from last year. 

Edited by Skip Spence
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 1/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, Alflives said:

Ellias is not as fast as those other skaters, but he's a lot smarter.  He cuts the corners to reduce the distance he needs to skate.  This ALIEN intelligence is what makes Elias so great.  He thinks better than anyone else.  He's always looking ahead to see how to best gain an advantage.  

Most importantly though?  HE IS OURS!!!!:towel:

In all seriousness it was confirmed by his Mother on Swedish TV when, I quote, she is overheard saying "E.P. Phone Home"

• Haha 2