The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How we did on the Drafts

Canucks53

I remember when the Jets went off the board to pick Mark Schiefle, and everyone thought they were nuts, because nobody had him as a lock for the top 10 that year. Turned out Winnipeg knew what they were doing, and I have full confidence that JB knew exactly what he was doing taking Pettersson.

14 hours ago, Canucks53 said:

May Be JB is a GM with great long term vision, or he is just simply doing a bad job. Its time for the owner to start consider changing the GM.

I understand that last year we picked Olli over Matt Tkachuk was because the market is paying a premium for good defenseman (but I still don't agree, I think Matt is a better player). But this year we picked Pettersson over Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt??? then I just don't get it. Every year, as a fan, I am somewhat disappointed as some of the drafts we make.

Here are the drafts that we make since JB joined, and also a list of players that were available for him to pick since 2014. Only 1 guy so far (Brock Boeser) is last seen playing for the Canucks, and only because we were out of the playoffs so he can get some minutes. Looking back, I think we failed big time in the 2014 draft when we had two 1st rounder. Look at all the options that we had instead of Jake or Jared (Guys sorry, no offense), but imagine we have  any of these guys in our lineup now: William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Dylan Larkin,  Nick Ritchie or David Pastrnak.

I really just wished this year we had taken any of these three Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt, and wait for a chance to pick Pettersson in the 2nd round. If you heard the interview with Petterson, he also said basically just Vancouver have shown much interest. Or we could have traded down for other teams to pick the three and we get something back. I just hope that Vilardi won't become a big contributor to the Kings next year, otherwise not only that I will be sad seeing the Canucks lose now, I would also be unhappy to see the Flames AND the Kings win next season.

The other frustrations that I have is why would we keep making moves that we regret. We drafted McCann and traded him, We traded for Bonino with Kesler and then traded him away for Sutter, we signed for Vrbata and then just to let him out cold after a hot season, We could have drafted Goldobin instead of McCann, but we didn't and we traded away Hansen for him.

I guess partly Willie D have to take some responsibility, but as a fan, I really have no idea what JB is trying to achieve here with the club. Honestly, I don't see we have much assets at all as a Hockey Club.

Canucks Draft              
Year Round Team Players GP G A P Status (Last Seen)
2016 Round 1 VAN Olli Juolevi Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors
2015 Round 1 VAN
Brock Boeser 
9 4 1 5 NHL
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jake Virtanen 
65 7 7 14 Minors
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jared McCann
98 10 15 25 Traded
2014 Round 2 VAN
Thatcher Demko 
Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors

Players we could have drafted            
Year Round Team Players GP G A P  
2016 1 CGY
Matthew Tkachuk
76 13 35 48  
2015 2 CAR
Sebastian Aho
82 24 25 49  
2015 2 BOS
Brandon Carlo 
82 6 10 16  
2014 1 TOR
William Nylander 
103 28 46 74  
2014 1 WPG Nikolaj Ehlers 154 40 62 102  
2014 1 NSH Kevin Fiala 60 12 5 17  
2014 1 DET Dylan Larkin 160 40 37 77  
2014 1 ANA Nick Ritchie 110 16 16 32  
2014 1 BOS David Pastrnak 172 59 64 123  

I think to fairly analyze things you need to look at the full draft record not just the 1st round. Benning has done a good job in my opinion, drafting (still to be determined) what I feel are steals in the later rounds and players that will ultimately be NHLers. We have to wait and see but I like his drafting so far (focused on high IQ, high speed, fast skating players).

Drafting is a tricky business and certain guys develop at different speeds so hard to gauge the 2016 1st round. If Juolevi becomes a #1 d then I take him over Tkachuk any day - for me I would pick him again given the talent he has (big knock is his strength but that will come). 

The 2015 draft was solid and Boeser was a great pick...always going to be solid players after but would still pick Boeser again.

2014 is the real issue here and why a lot of people are so mad a JB. Nylander and Pasternak would have been nice no doubt and unfortunately were no picked. Pasternak would have been great but I can also understand why McCann was picked over him. Obviously, Nylander and Ehlers are better players than Virtanen but the silver lining is that (with Benning now drafting for skill) Virtanen can fill a very important role...he has the potential to be a second line wrecking ball but he has to figure things out mentally first. With that being said, the rest of the 2014 draft was solid.

I think people need to stop focusing on the 2014 draft and look at the bigger picture. Benning certainly has an eye for overlooked talent in the later rounds and is now starting to prioritize skill in the earlier rounds. I think props need to be given to a GM who is willing to adjust and improve on his weaknesses. I like the team they are building and want to see how things come together before even considering firing Benning or Linden.

Glass should have been the safe pick , having said that it also may reflect management lack of belief or faith in Bo Horvat to lead as a #1 Center an Jim saw fit to pick up a higher upside experiment in Pettersson long term?

I also see no new real developments on Defense that are earth shattering so might assume JB hopes to grab one next year.? Or is he going into market place again to sign one . Ah yeah the Tanev trade ? Not happening this trade draft suggest JB may be just focusing on competing again this season.

i feel somewhat unfulfilled after this draft ,but still somewhat hopeful about his drafting the past three years . Ps , next years D draft still puts us out 4 years at least to development of said player. Just hope we have no Coho or or soft tank teams in next three or so years .

1 minute ago, bobbyg43 said:

Glass should have been the safe pick , having said that it also may reflect management lack of belief or faith in Bo Horvat to lead as a #1 Center an Jim saw fit to pick up a higher upside experiment in Pettersson long term?

But why take a player that has a game similar to Horvat with glass. And the same upside. That would IMO be showing less faith in BoHo. 

1 minute ago, 87Crosby said:

But why take a player that has a game similar to Horvat with glass. And the same upside. That would IMO be showing less faith in BoHo. 

Totally agree, they know what they have in Horvat. A true high end offensive Centre is what they need and Pettersson has the potential to be just that.

8 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

I also see no new real developments on Defense that are earth shattering so might assume JB hopes to grab one next year.? Or is he going into market place again to sign one . Ah yeah the Tanev trade ? Not happening this trade draft suggest JB may be just focusing on competing again this season.

i feel somewhat unfulfilled after this draft ,but still somewhat hopeful about his drafting the past three years . Ps , next years D draft still puts us out 4 years at least to development of said player. Just hope we have no Coho or or soft tank teams in next three or so years .

In all fairness, I see Bo as a Kesler like player without the attitude.  He's good on both ends, dependable and contributes to the offence.  JB thinks Pettersson will be similar to Henrik from a skill perspective.  I wouldn't suggest this is a shot at Bo at all.

1 minute ago, keehan3 said:

Hischier (6-foot-1, 178 pounds) swed  not a Canadian  first pick 1 inch shorter and 13 lb heaver than our pick  and were freaking out over our pick

swiss* and that 13 pounds is a lot to gain. Difference between the two is that Nico will maybe be rushed into the NHL while Elias given a year in Sweden first. Hopefuly he can bulk up over the year.  

3 hours ago, keehan3 said:

does any one wish we had William Nylander   he was 165  pounds at the draft...everyone made fun of Toronto for drafting him ....now the leafs are the ones laughing....nuf said

So if Nylander was a missed chance, JB adjusted his metrics for evaluating Euro's and followed that model in selecting Pettersson who compares very well to Nylander.  Not sure what point you are trying to make.  

I wasn't exactly over the moon with the Pettersson selection (preferred Vilardi or Glass) but nothing I can do but wait 3-5 years down the road and see what kind of pro he develops into. He is after all a potential 1C with high-end skill, and we've needed this type of player in our system for a while. Weren't a lot of posters on CDC saying this was a major need in our prospect pool, a future 1C?

It's obvious to me that Jim is building this team with the target  of success being 3-5 years from now. (Despite some on here saying he's trying to win now :wacko:) As long as we're patient with our development of our blue chippers, and with JB doing a solid job assembling the supporting cast of players, I can see us being strong contenders for the cup in half a decade.

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/4TomMartin/status/878635525015556096

Steady diet of meat and potatoes for this guy. Stat! :)

I'm not big on advance stats, but one formula that I think is pretty close is the one that predicts one player's production in one league to another. In this case or boy Pattersson would be have produced at 1.7 points per game in the CHL. Compared to Hischier 57 games played and 86 points, Pattersson would be at 98 points.

21 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

So if Nylander was a missed chance, JB adjusted his metrics for evaluating Euro's and followed that model in selecting Pettersson who compares very well to Nylander.  Not sure what point you are trying to make.  

my point is everyone is freaking out that we picked pettersson because hes only 165 lb right now  and because of that hes going to suck.....im using nylander as an example you don't have to be 200 lbs at the draft to be a great player

3 hours ago, xRussianrocket said:

Why are we constantly funding swedens future olympics throwing massive investment and time constantly on swedes?  hell we could just sign them when they about to retire for 6y/6m.  Is our team trying to suck up to the sedins cause this clearly isnt working..  time to bail on team sweden get some tough talented canadians, sign a couple russians and were good to go. 

Were a soft team who somehow got softer and worse after this draft.  Pretty bad feeling to draft 5th overall and select a guy with a large chance to never make it to the league. 

I wonder why your reputation is negative 50...

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

I'm not big on advance stats, but one formula that I think is pretty close is the one that predicts one player's production in one league to another. In this case or boy Pattersson would be have produced at 1.7 points per game in the CHL. Compared to Hischier 57 games played and 86 points, Pattersson would be at 98 points.

Petersson has super elite skills, and goes to the hard areas.  He could easily, in 4 years, be a better player than Hischier.  Who was the guy drafted in front of the Twins?

Yeh, midway through last season there was a lot of hand wringing over our lack of any sort of elite center in our prospect pool...who was going to replace Henrik.  I haven't looked at all the stats on every center in the draft, but Pettersson looks pretty good, seems to have potential to be that elite center we need.  Isn't that better than going with "safe"?  As an earlier poster said, people will complain because water is wet.  I laughed for quite awhile, great observation!  

We all know next season won't be pretty, but after that we should start seeing more of our youngsters start to make an impact, and in 3 - 5 years I think we're going to have a strong team again.  Cup Final?  who know's, but we will be competitive!  

For the couple of posters on here who are spewing nothing but negative...and have been for the past couple of years now, I'd suggest finding another team, or another sport.  You are so disenchanted with what is happening with the Canucks that it can't be good for your health, and reading your posts is painful.  

Not so much disappointed in the players drafted as I am with  the fact that WHEN ARE WE GOING TO START THE REBUILD?All the teams at the draft board received at the very least a similar haul today and if the Canucks are going to get back on top they have to fast track this thing with MULTIPLE high picks or they will never close the gap on anybody.

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

EVERY team can do this revisionist drafting and be made look either good or bad.   Clearly you don't like JB and that is your right but to start to compare, say, a goalie pick not being in NHL with others is simply trolling.   Further, if you are going to do a chart and put someone in "non NHL" at least put in an effort - OJ is not in "minors" as he hasn't play any pro hockey yet.   

Some people on CDC, and MANY who actually know the game (or at least are paid to follow and report on the game), still like OJ pick over Tkachuk.    Instead of the cherry picked players in your chart, you could have used others that still are developing or will never develop - that is the nature of picking 18 year old kids who you try to project as men down the road.

You are consistently clear you don't like the Canuck management.   Fine, but when you make up status of players and cherry pick revisionist drafting, you look like a troll.

Please tell me where to find in writing from a respectable hockey expert that is unbiased that still thinks Juolevi was a better pick than M.T.  I would like to be more informed and fact check that.

Archived