The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

People reading anything into this are just looking for issues to be worried about.

He hasn’t signed because he doesn’t know if there is going to be an AHL season.   Why sign a contract that means he sits around not playing?

There night not be college hockey either, but at least he can keep going to school towards an Ivy league degree rather than sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Provost said:

There night not be college hockey either, but at least he can keep going to school towards an Ivy league degree rather than sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

I agree with your post but I just gotta point out that if he signs and there isn’t an AHL season he could still continue his degree just as he could if he hadn’t signed. 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:47 AM, Sean Monahan said:

I agree with your post but I just gotta point out that if he signs and there isn’t an AHL season he could still continue his degree just as he could if he hadn’t signed. 

Unfortunately there are an infinite variations between normal season And cancelling it entirely.... a lot of which make him worse off.

If he signs an ELC his college admission status as a student athlete and all his financial aid  goes away.

If the AHL season starts in January like the NHL is, then he has to bail on school.  Whereas if he didn’t sign his contract he could finish the school year and then join the team halfway into the season.

There could be no normal AHL league play and just some lesser version of tourney play or something.

Anyone smart in his position will wait until they know what the landscape is before making a decision.  There is no impending deadline or training camps to worry about, so no need at all to make a decision.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Provost said:

People reading anything into this are just looking for issues to be worried about.

He hasn’t signed because he doesn’t know if there is going to be an AHL season.   Why sign a contract that means he sits around not playing?

Panic first, hope to be wrong later (or hope they are right to prove a point even if it's detrimental to the team).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I have been thinking of Rathbones dilemma, and how it works in the Canucks favor,

With the NCAA season in question ( I believe there is a 95% chance it doesn't go), I think that the scholarship may be cancelled/postponed. If that is the case, would it not be in Rathbones best self-interest to sign with Vancouver, giving him his signing bonus, and allowing him to finish his schooling? 

IMO, I believe this is the only way most would be able to complete it. Now if pro-hockey (Utica or the Canucks) starts, it might make a wrinkle in the plan and that is the risk, in terms of schooling......but would in fact still start his hockey career.......

Earlier today Harvard University announced all classes this year and next will be taught virtually.  Incoming Freshman will have dorms, but no classes will have in-person instruction; all classes will be virtual.  The total student body on campus will be kept under a forty percent threshold due to COVID-19 efforts.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I have been thinking of Rathbones dilemma, and how it works in the Canucks favor,

With the NCAA season in question ( I believe there is a 95% chance it doesn't go), I think that the scholarship may be cancelled/postponed. If that is the case, would it not be in Rathbones best self-interest to sign with Vancouver, giving him his signing bonus, and allowing him to finish his schooling? 

IMO, I believe this is the only way most would be able to complete it. Now if pro-hockey (Utica or the Canucks) starts, it might make a wrinkle in the plan and that is the risk, in terms of schooling......but would in fact still start his hockey career.......

if his scholarship is cancelled, sowould his enrollment in the university, no?

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

if his scholarship is cancelled, sowould his enrollment in the university, no?

I don’t think so. It wouldn’t really make sense to cancel his enrolment, assuming his grades are fine. Even without the scholarship, he could continue to attend classes, just on his own dime.

Different story, I suppose, for some of the kids just coming out of high school. No sports and scholarships could mean no admission, for some.

• Cheers 1

On 7/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, janisahockeynut said:

IMO, I believe this is the only way most would be able to complete it. Now if pro-hockey (Utica or the Canucks) starts, it might make a wrinkle in the plan and that is the risk, in terms of schooling......but would in fact still start his hockey 

I don’t think it works like that at Harvard or any Ivy League schools.

I don’t think they actually give out athletic scholarships, they provide financial assistance based on need from their massive endowment.  

If they aren’t athletic scholarships, and a student is already admitted, there is really no way to take away that financial assistance because sports have shut down.

It might affect how many student athletes are recruited for the coming year, but I don’t see how it will affect existing students.

https://ivyleague.com/sports/2017/7/28/information-psa-index.aspx

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think it works like that at Harvard or any Ivy League schools.

I don’t think they actually give out athletic scholarships, they provide financial assistance based on need from their massive endowment.  

If they aren’t athletic scholarships, and a student is already admitted, there is really no way to take away that financial assistance because sports have shut down.

It might affect how many student athletes are recruited for the coming year, but I don’t see how it will affect existing students.

https://ivyleague.com/sports/2017/7/28/information-psa-index.aspx

You’re 100% correct. Harvard doesn’t do athletic scholarships (nor do the other Ivys), and the bulk of their scholarships/funding is needs based, so there would be very little impact on a guy like Rathbone. Once he gained admission, he was pretty much guaranteed to receive funding (assuming he met the needs criteria). Or if his family is wealthy, then he doesn’t really need a scholarship anyway (and he wouldn’t be eligible for most funding). Either way, the sports shutdown doesn’t really affect his ability to study.

As far as other schools, where there are athletic scholarships, and much of that funding is tied (either directly or indirectly) to revenues generated from sports, it’s possible a student might lose their athletic scholarship during the shutdown (depends on the guarantees), but I highly doubt that would directly affect their enrolment. Generally, once you gain admission to college, you’re in. And you don’t get kicked out unless you really mess up (like with conduct, grades, etc). Losing an athletic scholarship would not get you kicked out of school. You just lose that source of funding (which would suck, of course, but not the end of the world as there are usually other funding options available).

I definitely don’t see any current students getting kicked out of their schools because they lost athletic scholarships. I can’t see that being a policy anywhere (although admittedly, I don’t know, but I’ve never heard of such a thing). Just seems highly unethical. Especially in this current pandemic situation, which is completely outside of the student’s control, and no fault of their own.

There is, however, a crisis when it comes to new admissions and recruitment. Many schools are facing a cash crunch due to lost revenues from canceling sports. The major attendance/viewership draws (football, basketball, hockey, etc) are a huge source of revenue for US colleges and losing that money could mean that some student athletes won’t be getting the same opportunities that would normally be there for them.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What's the new 'cba transition rule' and why is it going to 'potentially speed up' Rathbone's decision?

We could find out soon if Jack Rathbone decide’s to sign with the Canucks.

A new CBA transition rule may potentially speed up defenseman Jack Rathbone decision on signing with the Canucks or return for another season at the U of Harvard.

When the new CBA is announced there will be a 53-hour window to sign rookies and burn a year on their contracts.

Because Rathbone is 21 years old, he would sign a 3 year deal.

Based on what we’ve learned on the transition rule, the Canucks can sign Rathbone at noon ET the third day after the CBA agreement is signed, ends 5pm ET the fifth day.

IF Rathbone signs, he would get no signing bonus and would not play this season in the return to play format but it would still burn the first year of his 3 year contract.

Will Harvard hockey even play next season, seems less likely as each month passes. Some think there will be no fall sports at Harvard.

Is Europe a possibility for Rathbone, everything is on the table but not likely.

Rathbone has a decision to make, sign with the Canucks and burn a year off his deal or continue to play the waiting game with Harvard.

We may get clarity soon on one the top defenseman prospects in the Vancouver organization.

Talked with a scout in the NCAA today on Rathbone : "Great pick by the Canucks, this is a great kid who comes from a great family. He is a slick puck moving defenseman who defends well. Offensively he is really good as well, has a bomb of a shot from the point. He passes the puck like a pro.”

Read it over quick, not quite sure I understand the logistics but there you go. Could be good news for the anxious Canuck fan - which seems like pretty much everyone on here...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully Rathbone signs during the window. Would be nice to see an aspect of the CBA/MOA actually benefit Vancouver, for once.

Rathbones options are getting smaller. I tend to think the signing bonus may be the cherry to have him sign

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Rathbones options are getting smaller. I tend to think the signing bonus may be the cherry to have him sign

The bolded in the quote a couple posts up literally states he would not get a signing bonus. All he gets is to be able to burn a year off his ELC.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The bomb of a shot from the point is what is most intriguing to me. However, I'd like to know if it's an accurate bomb though otherwise it won't mean much. I don't know if we have anyone on the back line that is considered to have that accurate point shot. Edler has a bomb, but has troubles getting a clean shot through. Hughes has been working on his shot, but I doubt it's anything of note.

I miss the days of a solid point shot. I know it's becoming obsolete, but those Salo bombs were a thing of beauty.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The bomb of a shot from the point is what is most intriguing to me. However, I'd like to know if it's an accurate bomb though otherwise it won't mean much. I don't know if we have anyone on the back line that is considered to have that accurate point shot. Edler has a bomb, but has troubles getting a clean shot through. Hughes has been working on his shot, but I doubt it's anything of note.

I miss the days of a solid point shot. I know it's becoming obsolete, but those Salo bombs were a thing of beauty.

From the games I’ve seen, I’d say Rathbone’s shot is both heavy and accurate. He really has a bomb from the point, and he regularly gets it on net and through traffic. He also has a lethal wrister that can pick corners from the high slot and the circles. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

From the games I’ve seen, I’d say Rathbone’s shot is both heavy and accurate. He really has a bomb from the point, and he regularly gets it on net and through traffic. He also has a lethal wrister that can pick corners from the high slot and the circles. 

Quite the pick for a 4th round selection. That's a scouts pick. Makes you wonder how many more we'll see like that in a late round. Macdoungh might be the last