The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 5/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, Fred65 said:

How much will it cost for the play-offs. I assume they're not playing out of the kindness of their hearts so it'll be pay for view and enough to cover all the costs of players, travel, hotel, arenas and  as much as the owners can gouge. Me, bring on next season 

The commercials will more than make it worth it for the NHL. Even more so now with people staying in

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The commercials will more than make it worth it for the NHL. Even more so now with people staying in

First you have to sell the  space and keep in mind with the existing  contracts for many clubs have been prematurely cancelled with a lot of money left on the table and who knows legal issues will follow. Selling space under those conditions is not a great experience. I know that most will claim force majeure but only the courts can confirm that  :)  

On 5/26/2020 at 6:09 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Yep, people are dying for entertainment - supply and demand rules...

Yup, no new shows, no summer movies and limited activities. Its primetime for the endorsers to shove their Tim Hortons, Alpine Credit ads, etc. right on our faces, numerous times

• 3 weeks later...

With next season being delayed till January most likely and assuming College ice hockey does start in the fall I could see Jack going back for another year then signing after his season is done, which would usually mean the end of the regular season but next year it will be like mid season so more time to get him some AHL time then maybe a NHL call up?

On 6/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, Canuckster86 said:

With next season being delayed till January most likely and assuming College ice hockey does start in the fall I could see Jack going back for another year then signing after his season is done, which would usually mean the end of the regular season but next year it will be like mid season so more time to get him some AHL time then maybe a NHL call up?

He can sign with any team he wants. He will become a UFA. I wonder if he will sign with the Bruins

15 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

He can sign after August 15th of next year as a UFA.....2021

I wonder if they push back some of these deadlines with everything going on. The season could still be going. I don't think they'd let our prospect just sign with another team mid season. 

Edited by WonderTwinPowers
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

I wonder if they push back some of these deadlines with everything going on. The season could still be going. I don't think they'd let our prospect just sign with another team mid season. 

He could only play with us next season as he would not be a UFA until mid-August as janisahockeynut indicated in the post prior to yours.

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

He could only play with us next season as he would not be a UFA until mid-August as janisahockeynut indicated in the post prior to yours.

But what if next season is still in full flight mid August? Does he still become a UFA (that was the point WTP was making - does the league defer these UFA dates lest he be able to sign with another club, eg Boston, whereas pre Covid-19 he couldn't sign with anyone but us while the season was still underway)

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, crunch55 said:

Here we go again with the " he will sign elsewhere " propoganda.First it was Boeser ..then Gaudette ..then Will Lockwood...you clowns are 0 for 3 so far and about to go 0 for 4.

What are you taking about?! Clearly 99% of college prospects go UFA and turf their drafted by team.

:bigblush:

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

But what if next season is still in full flight mid August? Does he still become a UFA (that was the point WTP was making - does the league defer these UFA dates lest he be able to sign with another club, eg Boston, whereas pre Covid-19 he couldn't sign with anyone but us while the season was still underway)

I suspect it will be the same as fhis year IE: free agenct deferred until the end of the season.

Is the off-season upon us right now or still many months away? We won’t know until the NHL confirms whether it will resume the 2019-20 season. If that happens, we’ll see a summer post-season, and free agency won’t arrive until the fall. If the COVID-19 risk continues to prove too great, however, and this season gets cancelled, free agency should arrive at or close to its traditional summer date of July 1.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I suspect it will be the same as fhis year IE: free agenct deferred until the end of the season.

Is the off-season upon us right now or still many months away? We won’t know until the NHL confirms whether it will resume the 2019-20 season. If that happens, we’ll see a summer post-season, and free agency won’t arrive until the fall. If the COVID-19 risk continues to prove too great, however, and this season gets cancelled, free agency should arrive at or close to its traditional summer date of July 1.

This should almost help put an end to his FA rumours if there is any. He'd have to hold off on a huge payday from whenever his college season ends to whenever the NHL season ends, which may be past August. Seems like a high character kid anyways so I doubt this is his plan, but it would definitely factor into his decision if he did want to leave. 

1 hour ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

This should almost help put an end to his FA rumours if there is any. He'd have to hold off on a huge payday from whenever his college season ends to whenever the NHL season ends, which may be past August. Seems like a high character kid anyways so I doubt this is his plan, but it would definitely factor into his decision if he did want to leave. 

Yeah, you're probably right and with everything up in the air he may decide to finish out his senior year. That decision would be good for us as we would then have his rights until mid-August 2022.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:14 PM, Rick Blight said:

Yeah, you're probably right and with everything up in the air he may decide to finish out his senior year. That decision would be good for us as we would then have his rights until mid-August 2022.

mid-August 2021(or whenever that new date is) but will still be at the end of the 2020/21 season.  This season was his 3rd season after being drafted and after the 4th he can elect to become a free agent.

3 hours ago, mll said:

mid-August 2021(or whenever that new date is) but will still be at the end of the 2020/21 season.  This season was his 3rd season after being drafted and after the 4th he can elect to become a free agent.

He will become a free agent in mid-August 2021 but if he decides to return to Harvard for his senior year the Canucks will retain his rights for the extra year.

With Rathbone, however, things aren’t quite so cut and dry, seeing as he didn’t go to college that first season after being drafted. The delayed start to his collegiate career technically adds an extra year of right exclusivity for the Canucks, allowing them to retain his rights until August 15, 2022 – five years after he committed to Harvard University.

But here’s the wrinkle – this only remains the case so long as Rathbone remains committed to Harvard. Should he, say, de-commit and leave college following the end of the 2020-21 campaign, and give notice to the NHL central registry of his doing so, the drafting team (in this case, the Canucks) have but 30 days to sign him lest they lose those exclusive negotiating rights

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/11/19/heres-how-canucks-prospect-jack-rathbone-can-become-a-free-agent-before-2022/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1