The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

4 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Like Theo said they can talk to the player as well as his representation if they so choose, as long as there is no money changing hands. Otherwise he would not be allowed to go to camp on his own dime.

I can only tell you of my experience. I was told I was limited in the number of occasions I could face to face or telephone, speak to parents or players, all interaction must be logged and woe betide any one that strays. Frankly, I decided against going further simply because the rule book for interaction was approx. 5" ( 15 cms ) thick and I needed to sit exams on completion, horrendous. It sounds simple but when it comes to the NCAA rules you need a law degree ( at very least )  … the same with the Collage Board for the academics. That was my experience

Maybe just more confusion

"Family Advisors, Agents, and Amateurism Per NCAA legislation, only an amateur student-athlete is eligible for intercollegiate athletics participation. A student-athlete may jeopardize his amateur status if he/she has inappropriate contact with an agent or their representatives. Please keep the following in mind if an agent or their representatives contact you or your son in an attempt to persuade you to allow them to represent your child’s athletics interests. It is quite common for Men’s Ice Hockey studentathletes to have family advisors. It is permissible for your son to have an advisor but not an “agent” without jeopardizing his eligibility at Michigan Tech. Under NCAA regulations, you and your son are permitted to receive advice from a “family advisor”, provided that the advisor does not represent your son directly in negotiations for a contract.

•  It is permissible for an advisor to discuss with   your son the merits of a proposed contract and   give your son suggestions about the type of offer   he should consider. •  If you use the advisor as a direct contact with a   professional team, the advisor shall be considered   an agent, and you will have jeopardized your   eligibility at Michigan Tech. •  For example, an advisor may not be present during   discussions of a contract offer with a professional   team or have direct contact (i.e., in person, by   telephone, email or mail) with the professional   sports team on your behalf. Finally, it is important to note that in order to maintain  your eligibility at the NCAA school, if you receive assistance from an advisor, you will be required to pay that advisor at his or her normal rate for such services. •  A student-athlete MAY NOT agree, either   orally or in writing, to be represented by an agent   for the purpose of marketing his athletics ability or   reputation in a sport. In addition, it is not   permissible for a student-athlete to enter   into a verbal or written agreement with an agent   for representation in future professional sports   negotiations once his collegiate eligibility has   expired in that sport. •  Student-athletes (or their relatives or friends) MAY      NOT accept transportation or other benefits (e.g.,   dinner, lodging) from anyone who wishes to   represent their athletic interests, including family   advisors. •  A student-athlete MAY NOT enter into any kind of   agreement to compete in professional athletics,   either orally or in writing, regardless of the legal   enforceability of that agreement. •  Student-athletes MAY NOT receive any type of pay   or compensation for play (either directly or   indirectly). •  Student-athletes MAY NOT be involved in any   commercial endorsements for a product, service   or establishment. It is permissible for a student  athlete to secure legal advice from a lawyer   concerning a proposed, professional sports   contract, provided the lawyer DOES NOT   represent the student-athlete in negotiations for   such a contract. A lawyer may not be present   during discussions of a contract offer with a   professional organization or have any direct   contact (in person, by telephone or by mail) with   a professional sports organization on behalf of   the student-athlete. A lawyer’s presence during  such discussions is considered representation by   an agent.
A student-athlete may inquire of a professional sports organization about eligibility for a professional-league player draft or request information about his market value without affecting his amateur status. "

And to think this is a condensed version :lol: The full form goes on ad nausea for volumes:lol:

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I can only tell you of my experience. I was told I was limited in the number of occasions I could face to face or telephone, speak to parents or players, all interaction must be logged and woe betide any one that strays. Frankly, I decided against going further simply because the rule book for interaction was approx. 5" ( 15 cms ) thick and I needed to sit exams on completion, horrendous. It sounds simple but when it comes to the NCAA rules you need a law degree ( at very least )  … the same with the Collage Board for the academics. That was my experience

Maybe just more confusion

"Family Advisors, Agents, and Amateurism Per NCAA legislation, only an amateur student-athlete is eligible for intercollegiate athletics participation. A student-athlete may jeopardize his amateur status if he/she has inappropriate contact with an agent or their representatives. Please keep the following in mind if an agent or their representatives contact you or your son in an attempt to persuade you to allow them to represent your child’s athletics interests. It is quite common for Men’s Ice Hockey studentathletes to have family advisors. It is permissible for your son to have an advisor but not an “agent” without jeopardizing his eligibility at Michigan Tech. Under NCAA regulations, you and your son are permitted to receive advice from a “family advisor”, provided that the advisor does not represent your son directly in negotiations for a contract.

•  It is permissible for an advisor to discuss with   your son the merits of a proposed contract and   give your son suggestions about the type of offer   he should consider. •  If you use the advisor as a direct contact with a   professional team, the advisor shall be considered   an agent, and you will have jeopardized your   eligibility at Michigan Tech. •  For example, an advisor may not be present during   discussions of a contract offer with a professional   team or have direct contact (i.e., in person, by   telephone, email or mail) with the professional   sports team on your behalf. Finally, it is important to note that in order to maintain  your eligibility at the NCAA school, if you receive assistance from an advisor, you will be required to pay that advisor at his or her normal rate for such services. •  A student-athlete MAY NOT agree, either   orally or in writing, to be represented by an agent   for the purpose of marketing his athletics ability or   reputation in a sport. In addition, it is not   permissible for a student-athlete to enter   into a verbal or written agreement with an agent   for representation in future professional sports   negotiations once his collegiate eligibility has   expired in that sport. •  Student-athletes (or their relatives or friends) MAY      NOT accept transportation or other benefits (e.g.,   dinner, lodging) from anyone who wishes to   represent their athletic interests, including family   advisors. •  A student-athlete MAY NOT enter into any kind of   agreement to compete in professional athletics,   either orally or in writing, regardless of the legal   enforceability of that agreement. •  Student-athletes MAY NOT receive any type of pay   or compensation for play (either directly or   indirectly). •  Student-athletes MAY NOT be involved in any   commercial endorsements for a product, service   or establishment. It is permissible for a student  athlete to secure legal advice from a lawyer   concerning a proposed, professional sports   contract, provided the lawyer DOES NOT   represent the student-athlete in negotiations for   such a contract. A lawyer may not be present   during discussions of a contract offer with a   professional organization or have any direct   contact (in person, by telephone or by mail) with   a professional sports organization on behalf of   the student-athlete. A lawyer’s presence during  such discussions is considered representation by   an agent.
A student-athlete may inquire of a professional sports organization about eligibility for a professional-league player draft or request information about his market value without affecting his amateur status. "

And to think this is a condensed version :lol: The full form goes on ad nausea for volumes:lol:

Rathbone is aware of the Canucks interest in him turning pro. However the communication is made is moot as I'm sure both sides are careful in how they conduct themselves to not screw over the status with the school. So easily Rathbone can communicate his interests and desires back to us through whatever means.

All colleges players talk about how they are glad the Canucks have not pressured them into decisions and allowed them to make their choices. This implies there has been communication between player and team rather than us simply avoiding all contact and hope for the best.

I watched a documentary about student athletes and it is certainly complicated and if things aren't done correctly, it could ruin a young person's dream. However, this isn't the first rodeo between the NHL and NCAA players and they know what they're doing and there is clear evidence that they communicate somehow. Even with Adam Fox, the Flames knew he likely wasn't signing with them and traded him to Carolina. Carolina took a stab at signing him and realized they weren't doing so and traded him to NYR. Carolina got a 2nd and a conditional 3rd for a former 3rd round pick which isn't a bad return. Kerfoot and Butcher weren't signing with their respective teams and they got traded for each other. Surely, Rathbone will communicate with us his intentions as we have already expressed ours to him and we will make it work somehow regardless if he signs here or not. I'm not that concerned that he's going to backstab us and simply sign with a team of his choice, just doesn't fit his character. 

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Rathbone is aware of the Canucks interest in him turning pro. However the communication is made is moot as I'm sure both sides are careful in how they conduct themselves to not screw over the status with the school. So easily Rathbone can communicate his interests and desires back to us through whatever means.

All colleges players talk about how they are glad the Canucks have not pressured them into decisions and allowed them to make their choices. This implies there has been communication between player and team rather than us simply avoiding all contact and hope for the best.

I watched a documentary about student athletes and it is certainly complicated and if things aren't done correctly, it could ruin a young person's dream. However, this isn't the first rodeo between the NHL and NCAA players and they know what they're doing and there is clear evidence that they communicate somehow. Even with Adam Fox, the Flames knew he likely wasn't signing with them and traded him to Carolina. Carolina took a stab at signing him and realized they weren't doing so and traded him to NYR. Carolina got a 2nd and a conditional 3rd for a former 3rd round pick which isn't a bad return. Kerfoot and Butcher weren't signing with their respective teams and they got traded for each other. Surely, Rathbone will communicate with us his intentions as we have already expressed ours to him and we will make it work somehow regardless if he signs here or not. I'm not that concerned that he's going to backstab us and simply sign with a team of his choice, just doesn't fit his character. 

If you read that quoted chunk of NCAA rules, you will see that it only prohibits the player from using any kind of agent. It does not prohibit direct contact between the team and the player. It says that no agent/advisor/lawyer can be in direct contact with the team, but requires that any contact between the team and the player be direct.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:12 PM, Fred65 said:

Not sure about speaking to players in the NCAA. I understand NCAA coaches are allowed to speak on 4 occasions prior to them committing to the school and each contact must be logged. It's my belief that teams may speak to the players advisor only. Failure to do so results in the player losing his NCAA status. The NCAA is a cash cow for universities and the guard it fiercely.

Tough call for Rathbone, divulging choices, brother of team

You have that exactly backwards. 180 degrees away from correct.

This is the document provided to NCAA hockey players to advise them what they can and cannot do with regards to NHL teams and agents.

4. May NHL teams pay for my private workouts/tryouts? YES! A full-time student may tryout with an NHL team during the academic year as long as you do not miss class. In addition, you may tryout with an NHL team at any time during the summer. You may receive actual and necessary expenses from the NHL team in conjunction with one 48-hour tryout per team. The 48-hour tryout period begins when you arrive at the tryout location. At the completion of the 48-hour period you must depart the location of the tryout immediately to receive return transportation expenses.

5. May I attend the NHL Scouting Combine? YES! If you are invited to participate in the NHL scouting combine, you may attend and accept actual and necessary travel and room and board expenses from the NHL, regardless of the duration of the combine. It is important to note that participation in the NHL combine will constitute your one expense paid tryout for any team that is represented in the combine.

6. May any other individual (e.g., agent, runner or "advisor") pay for my private workouts/tryouts with NHL teams? NO! Unless an NHL team pays for your expenses in conjunction with a private workout or tryout, you and your family are responsible for paying all expenses associated with any tryouts as they are incurred

13. Am I allowed to have an agreement with an agent if it is for future representation? NO! You are not permitted to agree to a future representation agreement with an agent.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIENF_NHLEducational_Memo_20180424.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Benning Translation: He his a Judd Bracket pick so we do not want him. Benning is going to let this guy walk becasue he was Bracket Pick 

sorry, but thats just a goofy take if you really think Benning would like a grade a prospect walk because he was Bracketts pick. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Benning Translation: He his a Judd Bracket pick so we do not want him. Benning is going to let this guy walk becasue he was Bracket Pick Benning I'm confident has had indications from Rathbones advisor

Sorry I don't buy that. It's not sensible just anti Benning. Benning did mention that every time he's contacted by other GM's Rathbones name is raised, so he understands the value of the player. Rathbone is in a tough spot. The AHL is in a state of flux. Many of the teams may not be able to afford playing to empty arena's so may disband. The AHL has no idea what the schedule may be. The NHL is not sure if or when games will restart. The NCAA is in the same fix. Some universities are not  going to open come the Fall and so the NCAA has no clue if sports will be able to open or a reduced number of teams, does that include Harvard. Remember athletics is not the deciding factor. In the mean time Rathbone, sensibly, is sitting hoping for the fog to clear

Just now, Squamfan said:

madden

No, Madden and his future was traded for a run at the play-offs. Probably under the direction of the owners who may well need the revenue. I'm thinking they have the Michaelis as his replacement

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:frantic:omg omg

This proves everything. Something totally out of Bennings control proves he hates Brackett. 

We need to keep this rational. I'm sure Benning and Brackett don't send each other Christmas cards but they need to be seen to be doing the right thing. A lot, maybe most NHL GM's will be watching how this works out and if Benning needs another job some time in the future this will be part of his resume

Just now, Fred65 said:

We need to keep this rational. I'm sure Benning and Brackett don't send each other Christmas cards but they need to be seen to be doing the right thing. A lot, maybe most NHL GM's will be watching how this works out and if Benning needs another job some time in the future this will be part of his resume

this Taj dude is just a massive troll. Anyone that follows prospects knows the rules.