The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 7/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, theo5789 said:

The bomb of a shot from the point is what is most intriguing to me. However, I'd like to know if it's an accurate bomb though otherwise it won't mean much. I don't know if we have anyone on the back line that is considered to have that accurate point shot. Edler has a bomb, but has troubles getting a clean shot through. Hughes has been working on his shot, but I doubt it's anything of note.

I miss the days of a solid point shot. I know it's becoming obsolete, but those Salo bombs were a thing of beauty.

Really? That's the icing on the cake. The cake is a 2-way, hard-hitting, defensively solid and offensively gifted redhead.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Hmm, Rathbone must be spinning trying to figure out his options.

A Harvard education guarantees his future where hockey might not.  $50k a year tuition probably mostly paid.

If he signs his ELC and gets a big signing bonus, presumably that eliminates his financial

aid too.

There may not be serious hockey anywhere For him.

We could find out soon if Jack Rathbone decide’s to sign with the Canucks.

A new CBA transition rule may potentially speed up defenseman Jack Rathbone decision on signing with the Canucks or return for another season at the U of Harvard.

When the new CBA is announced there will be a 53-hour window to sign rookies and burn a year on their contracts.

Because Rathbone is 21 years old, he would sign a 3 year deal.

Based on what we’ve learned on the transition rule, the Canucks can sign Rathbone at noon ET the third day after the CBA agreement is signed, ends 5pm ET the fifth day.

IF Rathbone signs, he would get no signing bonus and would not play this season in the return to play format but it would still burn the first year of his 3 year contract.

Will Harvard hockey even play next season, seems less likely as each month passes. Some think there will be no fall sports at Harvard.

Is Europe a possibility for Rathbone, everything is on the table but not likely.

Rathbone has a decision to make, sign with the Canucks and burn a year off his deal or continue to play the waiting game with Harvard.

We may get clarity soon on one the top defenseman prospects in the Vancouver organization.

Talked with a scout in the NCAA today on Rathbone : "Great pick by the Canucks, this is a great kid who comes from a great family. He is a slick puck moving defenseman who defends well. Offensively he is really good as well, has a bomb of a shot from the point. He passes the puck like a pro.”

No signing bonus is my understanding. But if he signs in the first 53 hours when the new CBA is announced (I'm not entirely sure when that would be) he gets to burn a year off his ELC. Which I'm sure the Canucks don't mind - his reward for not costing them money to develop over 2 years. A Harvard education would be a great achievement, but so would signing a contract that pays him 750K/year as a 21 year old. Say what you will - that's still living large while he can continue his education online. It's not like he loses his status as student when he turns pro. He just loses his scholarship which he would more than make up for with his new salary.

12 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

No signing bonus is my understanding. But if he signs in the first 53 hours when the new CBA is announced (I'm not entirely sure when that would be) he gets to burn a year off his ELC. Which I'm sure the Canucks don't mind - his reward for not costing them money to develop over 2 years. A Harvard education would be a great achievement, but so would signing a contract that pays him 750K/year as a 21 year old. Say what you will - that's still living large while he can continue his education online. It's not like he loses his status as student when he turns pro. He just loses his scholarship which he would more than make up for with his new salary.

He isn’t guaranteed that salary. ELCs are two way.

For all anyone knows he will never be an NHL regular.

He can get his bonus by not signing in that window which is about as much as he would make in the AHL for a full season.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

A Harvard education guarantees his future where hockey might not.  $50k a year tuition probably mostly paid.

If he signs his ELC and gets a big signing bonus, presumably that eliminates his financial

aid too.

this is the case for all prospects right now since the AHL, CHL might not start up.  

3 hours ago, Provost said:

aid too.

this is the case for all prospects right now since the AHL, CHL might not start up.   this is why he should sign a contract with us right away to insure his professional status as a NHL player.  He can also go back to school and be under contract with us. 

On July 7, 2020 at 6:52 PM, DeNiro said:

Make 750k and live in Sweden or Switzerland or sit around for a year playing shinny and taking online classes?

Pretty easy decision no?

So the European leagues have not only been unaffected by Covid, but the salaries there have actually gone up?

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

So the European leagues have not only been unaffected by Covid, but the salaries there have actually gone up?

Canucks would be paying his salary, as with Palmu.

The postulation in the interview was that he signs, but doesnt make the big team and the AHL doesnt start up, so he goes to Sweden

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

Just in- CNN just announces that The IVY League has postponed "ALL" sports until at least January 1st, 2020

This is in conjunction with the previous announcement by Harvard that there would be no in-class instruction this year, and that all studies would be on-line

(As I had previously posted)

This tightens the ability of all collegiate hockey players to play hockey this year, and will limit their options tremendously..........

For those with the ability to play at a high level, the American Hockey League, Europe and the NHL are the options at this moment..........

(Keeping in mind, that it is rumored that the NHL will start the new season Dec. 1st, 2020)

Hi-lights from Stanford (IVY League) announcement (Others will follow suit)

Fall sport student athletes will not use a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility in the fall, whether or not they enroll.

"A decision on the remaining winter and spring sports competition calendar, and on whether fall sport competition would be feasible in the spring, will be determined at a later date," they added.

Ivy League institutions are supported by sizable endowments, and do not rely on athletics as a major moneymaker.

The university said it will honor students' existing athletics scholarships commitment throughout their undergraduate experiences at Stanford, and will "support them in every way possible" if they choose to pursue college athletics elsewhere. It will also honor the contracts of affected coaches and give severance pay to departing support staff.

Fall sport student athletes will not use a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility in the fall, whether or not they enroll.

10 hours ago, Provost said:

He isn’t guaranteed that salary. ELCs are two way.

For all anyone knows he will never be an NHL regular.

He can get his bonus by not signing in that window which is about as much as he would make in the AHL for a full season.

That's true but the logic holds true because he can see that we are trying to shed cap (and that's something that management can bring up with him during negotiations) so having him on ELC in the NHL is in everyone's best interest. Plus, if he doesn't make the NHL then a cool 750K to play overseas would be a pretty good option - apparently we would be paying his salary. The only thing that would put a wrench in his plans is if he doesn't want to play so far away from his brother. That said, it seems like he doesn't have many options.

I'd want to move away from ELC as soon as I can, a signing bonus is great, but his next contract would be even better and if my ELC can be 2 years instead of 3, signing bonus be damned. But that's just me...

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Canucks would be paying his salary, as with Palmu.

The postulation in the interview was that he signs, but doesnt make the big team and the AHL doesnt start up, so he goes to Sweden

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We would be paying his salary 

So to clarify,

(1) players on ELC/2-way contracts receive their NHL salaries when they are loaned to any European league? and

(2) the European hockey leagues have not been dramatically affected the way the North American leagues have, and will all be playing their normal pre-Covid schedules?

Just another tid-bit

Trump has said that if Universities go strictly on-line with their fall and winter courses, he will order Customs to void all student visa's

Now, why this is in the Rathbone thread is that, it is one more nail in Rathbone's collegiate career, as even with the huge endowments

the Universities will have to really tighten their belts on Monetary Assistant. So, again, as this all unfolds, there is a growing uncertainty

in regards to Rathbone's education becomes larger and larger..............

I feel sorry for Rathbone.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just another tid-bit

Trump has said that if Universities go strictly on-line with their fall and winter courses, he will order Customs to void all student visa's

Now, why this is in the Rathbone thread is that, it is one more nail in Rathbone's collegiate career, as even with the huge endowments

the Universities will have to really tighten their belts on Monetary Assistant. So, again, as this all unfolds, there is a growing uncertainty

in regards to Rathbone's education becomes larger and larger..............

I feel sorry for Rathbone.

Jan, do you really think Harvard will have to tighten their belts?

Undergraduate Cost And Financial Aid

Families with students on scholarship pay an average of $12,000 annually toward the cost of a Harvard education. Fifty-five percent of Harvard College students receive need-based scholarship aid, and the average grant this year is more than $53,000.

Harvard’s endowment — the largest of any University in the world — was last valued in June 2019 at $40.9 billion.

During the 2019-2020 school year tuition, fees, room and board at Harvard totaled $69,607. During the 2020-2021 school year, these costs will amount to $72,356.

Students not living on campus will not pay for housing. Tuition for the 2020-2021 school year is set at $49,653.

Off-campus students who qualify for financial aid will receive a “Covid-19 Remote Room and Board” allowance of $5,000 per semester.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Jan, do you really think Harvard will have to tighten their belts?

Undergraduate Cost And Financial Aid

Families with students on scholarship pay an average of $12,000 annually toward the cost of a Harvard education. Fifty-five percent of Harvard College students receive need-based scholarship aid, and the average grant this year is more than $53,000.

Harvard’s endowment — the largest of any University in the world — was last valued in June 2019 at $40.9 billion.

During the 2019-2020 school year tuition, fees, room and board at Harvard totaled $69,607. During the 2020-2021 school year, these costs will amount to $72,356.

Students not living on campus will not pay for housing. Tuition for the 2020-2021 school year is set at $49,653.

Off-campus students who qualify for financial aid will receive a “Covid-19 Remote Room and Board” allowance of $5,000 per semester.

Ha, Ha!..........like a small nation!

But seriously, I wonder if they lost money during this Covid-19

and I wonder what their financial forecasts are?

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is a letter from the President of Harvard that might help explain some of their issues and plans to rectify. Just thought I would show some of their actions to offset revenue declines in case you didn't want to read the full letter.

• We are announcing an immediate salary freeze for all exempt employees and a hiring freeze, both of which are University-wide.
  • Similarly, discretionary spending will be either canceled or deferred.
  • The provost and the executive vice president, in consultation with the deans and the vice presidents, will ensure appropriate processes are in place for considering exceptions to the salary and hiring freezes, and limits on discretionary spending.
  • We also will be reviewing all capital projects to determine which ones should be deferred

https://www.harvard.edu/president/news/2020/economic-impact-covid-19

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Take a look at these numbers. It runs the equivalent of a mutual fund with investments and investment managers

The Harvard University endowment (valued at $40.9 billion as of 2019) is the largest academic endowment in the world. Along with Harvard's pension assets, working capital, and non-cash gifts, it is managed by Harvard Management Company, Inc.

The northeast of the US has done a pretty good job of getting their numbers down, so it makes sense that they suspend all face to face learning for the near future............no one with an ounce of sense would invite people from all parts of the country into their towns and cities.

Guess we'll find out of Rathbone likes hockey or studying more

Edited by stawns

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The northeast of the US has done a pretty good job of getting their numbers down, so it makes sense that they suspend all face to face learning for the near future............no one with an ounce of sense would invite people from all parts of the country into their towns and cities.

Guess we'll find out of Rathbone likes hockey or studying more

I guess the question is will he be ready to step straight in. Heck the NHL looks like it won't open until maybe January 2021. He's just turned 21

Edited by Fred65

One factor is that basically the NHL is gong to basically have to fund the AHL or some version of it.  They can’t really function without it.

Teams need a pool or call ups in case of injury/trades.  The same as they need a big roster for this playoffs.  At a minimum an NHL team is going to need access to 4D extra, 4 Wingers extra; 2 centres extra; and 2 extra Goalies.

If the AHL isn’t running, the league/teams are going to have to arrange their own development systems/camps/tourneys to keep their minor league guys in game shape and ready for call ups.  If they are going to go to that expense, why not just subsidize the AHL affiliate.

The complicating factor is how cross border travel will be handled by then.  Obviously 14 day quarantines can’t exist if your AHL affiliate is in the USA.  We could be seeing temporary shifts in division games to us only playing Canadian teams for a while.  It would also necessitate a sudden move of our affiliate to Abbotsford.