The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The next great???

Nolan Foote, comes into the WHL at the age of 15 and scores 35 points in 52 games. This kid is the real deal and is expected to be a top pick in 2019. I think he is going to be the next Mario Lemieux. He's already 6'3" and 177lbs, meaning he will likely grow another inch or three and will probably gain 30-40 lbs and he has ELITE skill.

Comparatively, McDavid scored 66 points in 63 games at his 15-16 year old season, but he was a January baby whereas Nolan is a November baby.

TANK FOR FOOTE 

:bigblush:

Am I missing something? Nov 2000 birthday. Played the 2016/17 season in the WHL. Season starts in September, he is pretty much played entire year as a 16 year old...not 15. That's a BIG difference at that age. If he was a Nov 2001 birthday, then that would be a different story. 

18 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Am I missing something? Nov 2000 birthday. Played the 2016/17 season in the WHL. Season starts in September, he is pretty much played entire year as a 16 year old...not 15. That's a BIG difference at that age. If he was a Nov 2001 birthday, then that would be a different story. 

The OP was trying to say Nolan Foote started his WHL career at the age of 15.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The OP was trying to say Nolan Foote started his WHL career at the age of 15.

Yes. Which wouldn't be correct unless you count 1 month as a 15 year old as big part of the season. 

6 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Yes. Which wouldn't be correct unless you count 1 month as a 15 year old as big part of the season. 

"Nolan Foote started his WHL career at the age of 15, and finished the season with 35 points in 52 games as a 16-year-old. "

That's better.

Lots can happen in the next couple of years. Dahlin might not even end up the consensus #1 pick next year. You never know. Nolan was sledged to be the first overall last year.

I don't think we'll see a McDavid/Eichel or Matthews/Laine generational talent for a long time now, looks like it'll be 3 average drafts in a row.

• 2 months later...

Definitely looks like Foote could to be in the mix for a top pick in 2019.

I usually don't get into "the next great" talk too much. At least not this early. Too much can happen. Many 15/16-year-old "surefire superstars" end up burning out before they hit their draft years. But seeing as this thread is here, maybe I'll jot down some of the other names I'm hearing buzz about and then check back and see if any of them actually pan out.

Jack Hughes definitely has me really intrigued at this point in time. Seems to be getting the most chatter for 1st overall in 2019. Lots of "next one" articles out there. Quite a few people saying he might not be the next McDavid but he very likely could be the best player since McDavid.

That Russian kid Artemi Knyasev has some buzz too. Although I haven't heard quite as much excitement about him lately. Still, a while back a couple people whose opinions I respect had him as their clear cut favourite for 2019's 1st overall.

Several others (Kirby Dach, Peyton Krebs, Alex Turcotte, Marshall Warren, etc) could be in the mix as well.

Then there's 2020 and Alexis Lafreniere. Depending on who you talk to, he's either going to be a very good player or possibly generational (some saying he'll be the best player drafted out of the Q since Crosby). Lafreniere is already getting some "next McDavid/Crosby/Lemieux" talk (from those foolish enough to go on the record with those kinds of projections this early). He's still 15 and lots still to prove between now and draft day. But the early returns see him currently leading the QMJHL preseason scoring race (12 points in 6 games). And last year, his QMAAA numbers (2.31 PPG) were top-5 all-time for U16 (and very close to the rates put-up by guys like Lemieux and Turgeon at that age).

There are also a couple Euros for 2020 (Marco Rossi especially and also Theo Rochette) who are getting a fair amount of buzz. Can't say I know much about them other than they've been turning a lot of heads in the Swiss junior leagues.

Also hearing good things about Kasper Simontaival out of Finland.

And Elliot Desnoyers (QMAAA) may be another defenseman who vaults over all the forwards as a top 2020 pick. I've seen his name top-3 on some early lists.

Whatever the case, it looks like we're in for some interesting drafts and quite a few intriguing possibilities for "the next one" coming over the next few years. 2018 looks to be a strong draft. Some people say 2019 will be even better. And maybe 2020 will be the best of the bunch.

Should hopefully make for some exciting draft days for Canucks fans. Especially if those pesky little lottery balls finally cooperate for us.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post a little update on 16-year-old Austrian wunderkind Marco Rossi (2020 draft eligible). Kid's putting up a point per game in Switzerland's Elite Jr A (U20).

That's the same league that Nico Hischier scored 8 points in 21 games (regular season + playoffs) during his D-2.

Rossi has 8 points through 8 GP this season (and had 7 points in 9 GP in the same league last year).

He's a late birthday, but still, that only gives him ~3 months age advantage on Hischier when comparing their D-2 seasons.

Gonna be interesting to see how they compare whenever Rossi moves up to NLA/NLB (Swiss men's pro) or comes over in a couple years to play a season in the CHL.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, milk and honey said:

same thing with mackinnon couple years ago and now he is just a good player.

MacKinnon may not be as good as the original hype but lets keep in mind he's been with the Aves through their great struggle past few years . 

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody's saying these kids are sure things to actually become the "next great" player in the NHL. Just that they are trending like top picks and could have a chance to be elite players.

But even first overalls sometimes flop after they're drafted. So there are definitely no guarantees when you're looking at guys 1.5 and 2.5 years out from their drafts.

Just an update on Marco Rossi. He's now at 25 points through 18 games (1.39 points per game) in the Swiss Elite Jr A. At this point, Rossi's D-2 scoring pace nearly matches Hischier's D-1 (28 points in 18 games in that same league).

And Rossi isn't even necessarily my favourite of 2020 eligibles.

Admittedly, the 2020 draft is a long way out. But it's shaping up to be a dandy (at least at the top) if some of these kids continue the way they're currently trending.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on 2020 eligible Marco Rossi. He’s now played 4 games in NLB (the second tier of Swiss pro).

Hischier didn’t play NLB until his D-1. Rossi is did it in his D-2.

So far Rossi has 1 point in those 4 games.

Hischier had 2 points in 7 games at that level (when he was 8 months older).

Rossi has 33 points in 23 games at the Elite Jr A level (in his D-2 season).

Hischier had 2 points in 11 games at that level in his D-2 (at only 4 months younger).

Also, here’s a fall 2017 highlight pack for Rossi. Remember, he’s only 15/16 years old in these clips and he’s playing in the top U20 league:

Only a minor improvement so far this year. Also keep in mind that Chychrun was 195lbs as a 15 year old and is now... 200lbs. Some players just physically mature faster. We'll see about him. Looks like his draft year will be 2019 and a lot is decided on that last year, so if he can explode, he could be a top 5 pick, but I'm not sure he's a generational talent.

Archived