janisahockeynut

Benning is doing a great job! (Discussion)

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

JB brought in the three guys he did today to show our young players how to prepare and play to win Cups.  

Alf stop using logic!!  that's not allowed here ya know :P    most listen to what the media tells em and not the true picture in every aspect of what the team is molding into.. whatever hey?  shrugs...  some media get it right from time to time but to jump into their opinion and spinning it here no what they say?  ugh....  it's painful! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Dont really care about national media as the same response as last season.

Vancouver has deficiencies, they fill voids with veterans who not only upgrade those positions but gives their young players guidance and players to learn from. How is that losing?

Do we think a rebuilding team can only draft players, adding specific important pieces via free agency is bad?

Give me a break

I agree.  There are assumptions aplenty about how to rebuild, but I haven't seen a convincing argument about what an "ideal rebuild" is.  I don't see it being a disaster to sign free agents who complement the upcoming stars, in fact it makes sense.  I didn't like seeing Boeser getting roughed up last year, or for that matter, seeing Sutter get overused because we lack a key faceoff guy.  And we all remember McDavid's first year: he was too young, body not quite ready -- we don't want to force our equivalent players (Pettersson and Juolevi, maybe Lind) which means improving the team by FAs, there really is no other way, is there? 

My only complaint with Benning is that in his time here he gave away a few too many 2nd and later round picks, and couldn't seem to get picks for guys like Hamhuis.  Not sure if the Hamhuis situation and others like it could have been corrected though, as it depends on other GMs cooperating.  And even the decisions to move picks was generally done to get young players with a real chance to play right away (again: equivalent to what  he has done with FAs.)

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

And they retired so what's the point of looking at it like that

They retired never winning a Stanley cup because they never really had a big fast teammate who could stick up for them if they weren't allowed their magic save anson carter so now the twins have other names i.e. Elias and Brock...  why not get a anson carter type to cycle in and out of the line depending how tough the opponent is going to be but if the grit can score too?  THAT will get our missing offence back but we need one more high end guy who can play 1st line and 2nd...  if we have pushback then it's fine to have smaller high skilled guys...  simply because another teamwould know the cost of running cheap shot etc would be...  but if that same grit can score goals on 3rd-4th line?  we're ahead of the game...   

Paint a picture of our fire power playing it's game and unhindered by anything?  for once?  YES PLEASE!!!!  sick of the sedin scenario...  way past really...  they retired here alright....  without a cup...  don't want to see that continue with pettersson?  if he's even close to Peter Forsberg  and some said better but we'll see but if he's even close?  yeah throw another skilled guy and a Roussel in there on a line and see what happens...  same thing with Lucic playing with McDavid... Grets with Messier...   this is not a new idea and we've yet to spread it over our top six so Lord Stanley has not come to visit...  

patience sir it's being worked on, jb is getting it done, not as fast as we all would like but that's a rebuild for you...  

Edited by iceman64

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

actually i'd say "patience" but that's not taken very well here, it's get all superstars NOW or it's all a failure...  develop?  what's that?  

The fact tat most feel the only way to develop a player is the AHL. And many of our prospects have done well against men. Its a good time to be a Canucks fan. Players very quickly will let you know if they are not ready for the show. Take Jake he clearly was not  ready he went to the AHL. That's when you develop a player. It does get me a little raveled when I hear fans trying to force the issue. We have three players that have played (and played well) against men. And maybe two super stars in the making with Hughes and Petterson, Those two with todays free agent signings make the Canucks a much better team. Looks like Jim Benning has developed a few good prospects Dhalin Petterson and I doubt he has to develop Hughes. I think CDC gets their tails in knots over Eastern Media bias. The only time you ruin young players is when you lose and lose lots (hate bringing up Edmonton) I doubt Vancouver loses lots this year They probably play 500 hockey enough to build on. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

When you've been a complete tire-fire for 4 years, some people are going to lose faith.

Until management shows they actually have the ability to put together a good team (and maybe do it 5 years~ instead of 10), I don't see really see why they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Management is putting together a really good team. They deserve some credit. Every team picks up a few players that don not pan out. We as Canuck fans got spoiled for a long run of a decade, and it looks like we will be treated to a fire house of a team again. This team will be better than Edmonton and Calgary if not this year for sure next. We have all the pieces in place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cory40 said:

The fact tat most feel the only way to develop a player is the AHL. And many of our prospects have done well against men. Its a good time to be a Canucks fan. Players very quickly will let you know if they are not ready for the show. Take Jake he clearly was not  ready he went to the AHL. That's when you develop a player. It does get me a little raveled when I hear fans trying to force the issue. We have three players that have played (and played well) against men. And maybe two super stars in the making with Hughes and Petterson, Those two with todays free agent signings make the Canucks a much better team. Looks like Jim Benning has developed a few good prospects Dhalin Petterson and I doubt he has to develop Hughes. I think CDC gets their tails in knots over Eastern Media bias. The only time you ruin young players is when you lose and lose lots (hate bringing up Edmonton) I doubt Vancouver loses lots this year They probably play 500 hockey enough to build on. 

nods in agreement...  other thing is, JB finally got a few things going his way beside a few gaffs but learn and move on but being left with some bad long term contracts would have been hard for anyone and he moved from tweak as we went along to full on rebuild as they came off the books so it's "kind of on schedule"  ISH...  

When we lost a lot in the last few seasons it was taken in stride as it was put "out with the old and in with the new" scenario but over time jb's handcuff's have been slowly coming off so just edler left and LE but what if he bounces back?  no one could have seen him failing with the sedins when the opposite was expected...  

benning, I doubt is done yet and will trade some F for some D and we'll do a lot better than 500 but see what happens....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

And they retired so what's the point of looking at it like that

because he made the comparison.  Or more to the point he/she said that the Beagle and Roussel addition makes the team better than the team just prior to UFA without acknowledging that the additions were because we lost the Sedins.   

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Alf stop using logic!!  that's not allowed here ya know :P    most listen to what the media tells em and not the true picture in every aspect of what the team is molding into.. whatever hey?  shrugs...  some media get it right from time to time but to jump into their opinion and spinning it here no what they say?  ugh....  it's painful! 

of course people say there are two NHL seasons the regular and the playoffs.  So you could make the case that if the Nucks don't make the playoffs then Beagle's example setting doesn't have much value.   And course Roussel has never won it.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB brought in the three guys he did today to show our young players how to prepare and play to win Cups.  

If we dont make the playoffs then how can you prepare players to play for the cup.  Remember the NHL is two seasons - regular and playoffs.    If you are looking for vet leadership Sutter, Bo, Elder, Tanev, is more than enough. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:50 PM, samurai said:

If we dont make the playoffs then how can you prepare players to play for the cup.  Remember the NHL is two seasons - regular and playoffs.    If you are looking for vet leadership Sutter, Bo, Elder, Tanev, is more than enough. 

Bo is the only one that brings it in that group, you need pushback in order to play in the second season