The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Nicklas Jensen signs with Jokerit (KHL)

48 minutes ago, Jaku said:

It's a good thing the Canucks picked him over Brandon Saad. Saad is so bad D:

We didn't just pass on Saad we also passed on: John Gibson, Boone Jenner, Rickard Rakell, or Nikita Kucherov to take Jensen. 

What a waste... still, could be worse, at least we didn't select Zack Phillips or Tyler Biggs (neither player has played an NHL game/projects to ever play one) that year (2011!)

13 minutes ago, Quantum said:

We didn't just pass on Saad we also passed on: John Gibson, Boone Jenner, Rickard Rakell, or Nikita Kucherov to take Jensen. 

It's extra worse when you consider that Saad was the next BPA when Canucks made that 2011 pick

10 minutes ago, ice orca said:

The hindsight game is so easy.

29 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Great comment Mr. Hindsight. 

It's actually not hindsight though. Saad was the BPA according to central scouting when Canucks picked Jensen.

Heck I think someone put added a screen cap during right before The Canucks were about to pick and it was right there, clear as day, that Saad was the next best player available. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

It's actually not hindsight though. Saad was the BPA according to central scouting when Canucks picked Jensen.

Heck I think someone put added a screen cap during right before The Canucks were about to pick and it was right there, clear as day, that Saad was the next best player available. 

Yeah. It totally is hindsight.  

First of all,  Saad might have been BPA to some scouts, but a lot had Jensen going higher than he did.   It is a crapshoot. Especially later in the round. 

10 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Yeah. It totally is hindsight.  

First of all,  Saad might have been BPA to some scouts, but a lot had Jensen going higher than he did.   It is a crapshoot. Especially later in the round. 

I this case I'd say picking Saad over Jensen is foresight because experts were already telling you Saad was the better pick. 

Especially with lists like this http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=68892

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

What a waste... still, could be worse, at least we didn't select Zack Phillips or Tyler Biggs (neither player has played an NHL game/projects to ever play one) that year (2011!)

It wasn't the end of the world, the Canucks did end up with Baertschi, Boucher and Pedan from that draft. 

Keep in mind that Saad went 43rd overall in his draft year which means 13 other GMs passed on him after us before the Hawks finally drafted him. The Hawks that year also held the 36th pick and the picked Adam Clendenning with that pick - even the team that finally selected him had passed on him 3 times (Hawks had 18th, 26th and 36th pick at the draft). Goes to show that there was probably some aspects of his games that GMs aren't fond of hence why he was drafted a lot lower than projected by rankings. It also goes to show that most drafts are a crap-shoot and the smart GMs and Scouts will be able to find gems in the rough. I hope the Canucks have finally turn the tide and be that smart team that drafts smart.

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

So did a lot of other teams for just as questionable players. Easy to criticize a move years after the fact.

25 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

It also goes to show that most drafts are a crap-shoot and the smart GMs and Scouts will be able to find gems in the rough. I hope the Canucks have finally turn the tide and be that smart team that drafts smart.

Imagine if Jensen panned out. We would be calling him Nicklas "The Gem" Jensen :D 

32 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Keep in mind that Saad went 43rd overall in his draft year which means 13 other GMs passed on him after us before the Hawks finally drafted him. The Hawks that year also held the 36th pick and the picked Adam Clendenning with that pick - even the team that finally selected him had passed on him 3 times (Hawks had 18th, 26th and 36th pick at the draft). Goes to show that there was probably some aspects of his games that GMs aren't fond of hence why he was drafted a lot lower than projected by rankings. It also goes to show that most drafts are a crap-shoot and the smart GMs and Scouts will be able to find gems in the rough. I hope the Canucks have finally turn the tide and be that smart team that drafts smart.

Hawks 1st selection was Mark McNeill.  He's been a beaut.

Archived