The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Penguins in trade talks for 3rd-line center

The Pittsburgh Penguins are actively looking for someone to play behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

With Jay McClement - a training camp invite - and Carter Rowney as the most viable options on the depth chart below the superstar pair, general manager Jim Rutherford remains involved in trade talks for a third-line center, according to Jason Mackey of the Post-Gazette.

He won't, however, rush to make a move.

"We'll continue to work on it," Rutherford said. "There’s a few options there. We’ll see what happens here in the next little while. But, again, it’s what I said all along. If there’s somebody that we feel fits what we’re looking for, we’ll do it. If not, we’re going to wait until that time comes."

The Penguins have holes to fill at the position thanks to the departures of Matt Cullen (Minnesota) and Nick Bonino (Nashville) in free agency.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1359080

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

They like Sutter enough to have him back?

We'd take Pouliot and whatever short-term cap-dump necessary so Pit could meet cap.

Exactly what I thought.

I do wonder if Sutter might be too expensive for what they're looking for. 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

We'd take Pouliot and whatever short-term cap-dump necessary so Pit could meet cap.

I think they would have just re-signed Bonino and dumped cap elsewhere, rather than trade for a 3C making almost $4.5M. 

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

They traded Sutter b/c they couldn't afford what he'd get in an extension. Same reason they let Bonino walk. That hasn't changed.

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Jim Rutherford has the unique distinction of having traded Sutter away TWICE. He traded Sutter to the Penguins when he was still the GM of the Hurricanes and then traded Sutter to the Canucks when he became the GM of the Penguins. It's a pipe dream to think that Brandon Sutter will be traded back to the Penguins. 

That said, I would love if the Penguins traded for Sutter.....

Habbies also want a C, or two? A few teams may be looking?

Duchene, RNH, even Tavares. Seems the ones who might move, are either too pricey(high-end); whilst the talented, high FO% guys are aging(Perreault, Hanzal, McClement, etc)

Currently a few injured C's also..maybe a good time to deal Sutter? Retain a chunk, if you can fetch a 1st perhaps?(not from Pitt though..likely late 1st)

I don't see them being interested in Sutter at all. They also only have a little over 3 million in cap space with a 22 man roster so we'd probably have to retain salary or take money back anyways. However I can see them trading for a guy like Riley Sheahan. Sheahan only has 1 year left on a $2 million contract. Perfect for the Penguins they get a guy that they can afford, is still reasonably young and can slot into that 3c spot nicely. Plus the Red Wings need to shed some cap to sign Athanasiou. That trade makes much more sense for both sides.

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Habbies also want a C, or two? A few teams may be looking?

Duchene, RNH, even Tavares. Seems the ones who might move, are either too pricey(high-end); whilst the talented, high FO% guys are aging(Perreault, Hanzal, McClement, etc)

Currently a few injured C's also..maybe a good time to deal Sutter? Retain a chunk, if you can fetch a 1st perhaps?(not from Pitt though..likely late 1st)

I don't think Tavares is going anywhere , and Sutter is a better option than the 'nuge for them. Duchene is a great player but he'll be expensive to get and to keep.

Sutter's game has actually improved a little bit, and he's a known quantity to them so you never know, maybe if he had 2 years left on his deal but 4? I just don't see that. But who knows, Sutter is reliable. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I don't think Tavares is going anywhere , and Sutter is a better option than the 'nuge for them. Duchene is a great player but he'll be expensive to get and to keep.

Sutter's game has actually improved a little bit, and he's a known quantity to them so you never know, maybe if he had 2 years left on his deal but 4? I just don't see that. But who knows, Sutter is reliable. 

Staal(that PO concussion?)

Granlund..minny 1

Berglund

Kesler

Probably a couple I'm forgetting. There seem to be a fair number of banged-up C's, nowadays. Might be straying from VC's original post, but wonder how many GM's are bouncing proposals around for this position?

5 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Gaunce and a 2nd for their first? lol

Yes I know they'd never give up a 1st for a 3C

Plus the fact that, at this point, Gaunce is not even a 4C. He's a fourth line winger that can fill in at C on occasion. 

Pens are going to look for a 3C that is about half of what Sutter is making.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Plus the fact that, at this point, Gaunce is not even a 4C. He's a fourth line winger that can fill in at C on occasion. 

Pens are going to look for a 3C that is about half of what Sutter is making.

Lets just retain salary and trade him for a 1st rd in 2018. 

Leaves us Ericsson to trade from the 2. But this does leave us having a huge hole in our line up and virtually a poor checking line

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Staal(that PO concussion?)

Granlund..minny 1

Berglund

Kesler

Probably a couple I'm forgetting. There seem to be a fair number of banged-up C's, nowadays. Might be straying from VC's original post, but wonder how many GM's are bouncing proposals around for this position?

There's also a couple of cheap serviceable guys like Winnik or Fiddler who they can bring in for 1 season. Sutter is a better defensive player than these two now but they are also free. 

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

There's also a couple of cheap serviceable guys like Winnik or Fiddler who they can bring in for 1 season. Sutter is a better defensive player than these two now but they are also free. 

Yeah, & Rutherford's pretty shrewd. He'll prob try a freebie to bridge 'til the new yr. Then go all-in near TDL, as the Pens try to three-peat.

Archived