The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

1 hour ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

I think we will regret it if we trade OJ.  Especially for a 27 year old Duchene.  We dont need him with Sutter, Horvat, Gaunce, Gaudette and Petterson in the pipelines.  

With the way Virtanen is working with the Sedins they could provide some great secondary scoring and we could end up with 2a,b,c lines which will more than make up for a true 1rst line.

Not to mention if we don't end up with a top 5 pick this year we wont have a top end defensive prospect.

I think the top 10 will have some very good defensemen. Of course there's Rasmus Dahlin. Adam Boqvist is likely a top 5 prospect in the draft class as well, if not top 3. I believe Quinn Hughes is a top 10 prospect as well as Ty Smith. Hughes has 4 points in 5 NCAA games as a freshman, while Smith has 13 points in 12 WHL games. A top 5 pick guarantees you a top defenseman, but a top 10 pick gives us a good chance at getting one as well. 

It seems like the wrong time to buy Duchene. Duchene seems like a final piece add. I can’t see Duchene putting us over the top. The only way this makes sense to me is if Duchene is flipped for prospects as JB doesn’t like Juolevi’s progress and is selling him high while getting a guy who has great league wide value.

Im hoping as each day passes , we can get further from the stench of this trade rumour . 

We are in a rebuild .. If management thinks that Oli is a bust , Id rather they get a younger player , who hasn't suffered head injuries  

Matt is a very talented hockey player but he doesnt fit with where we are and where we are headed .

19 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

As reluctant I am trading a recent 5th overall draft pick+ for a 26 year old 1st line forward, I think with a few other moves we could find our immediate Sedin replacements and add bluechip defensive prospects.

For example:

COL: Juolevi + Gagner (cap purposes) + pick to even out value

VAN: Duchene

TOR: Tanev

VAN: Liljegren + TOR 2nd

At the draft select one of the highly rated defence prospects with our 1st round selection (Dahlin, Hughes, or Smith depending on our draft position).

In the offseason the if Sedins retire sign Evander Kane to a long term contract.

Make that a Tor 1st and add Vancouver 4th and I'll do it. 

As for the Duchene deal... that's tough... I wouldn't add a pick though. If they wana take it, then take it at OJ and Gagz

1 hour ago, Lulover88 said:

Im hoping as each day passes , we can get further from the stench of this trade rumour . 

We are in a rebuild .. If management thinks that Oli is a bust , Id rather they get a younger player , who hasn't suffered head injuries  

Matt is a very talented hockey player but he doesnt fit with where we are and where we are headed .

OJ might never become anything more than a 3rd pairing dman... could be a Cam Barker for all we know. Obviously I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a superstar...

26 year old Matt Duchene, has most of his prime years ahead of him... he would be peaking until lets say 31/32? 

There's not a team in the NHL that couldn't use a guy like him. 

5 hours ago, apollo said:

OJ might never become anything more than a 3rd pairing dman... could be a Cam Barker for all we know. Obviously I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a superstar...

26 year old Matt Duchene, has most of his prime years ahead of him... he would be peaking until lets say 31/32? 

Not only do we not have the cap space, but it just doesn't make sense for us from an organizational stand point. We need to hang onto all of our prospects. I'd rather take a kick at the can with someone like Statsny or Bozak on a short term deal this offseason. If we can get either of them on a 2 year deal, that would be a perfect bridge to Pettersson and/or Gaudette and they wouldn't cost us anything to acquire. 

If we trade our best D prospect since Bourdon (rip) in this deal, I'll fly to Vancouver just to drive Benning to the airport.  Value is fair but it is a terrible deal for this team and stinks of desperation if true.    Hopefully ownership isn't still hoping for a quick fix.

OJ will be a stud.

9 hours ago, apollo said:

You mean a guy who after getting 70 points has been sort of regressing the past three seasons? 

At the very least he's inconsistent. He's also a UFA in less than 2 seasons. Unless it's Sutter or Eriksson for Duchene straight up, no thanks. 

2012–13 Colorado Avalanche NHL 47 17 26 43 12
2013–14 Colorado Avalanche NHL 71 23 47 70 19 2 0 3 3 2
2014–15 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 21 34 55 16
2015–16 Colorado Avalanche NHL 76 30 29 59 24
2016–17 Colorado Avalanche NHL 77 18 23 41 12

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You mean a guy who after getting 70 points has been sort of regressing the past three seasons? 

At the very least he's inconsistent. He's also a UFA in less than 2 seasons. Unless it's Sutter or Eriksson for Duchene straight up, no thanks. 

2012–13 Colorado Avalanche NHL 47 17 26 43 12
2013–14 Colorado Avalanche NHL 71 23 47 70 19 2 0 3 3 2
2014–15 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 21 34 55 16
2015–16 Colorado Avalanche NHL 76 30 29 59 24
2016–17 Colorado Avalanche NHL 77 18 23 41 12

Sutter or Eriksson for Duchene straight up? Issajoke right?

If Ollie is feeling like a bust to benning I'd be completely okay with this as I trust benning and his vision of this rebuild. I would just want compensation if duchene doesn't extend with us, I feel like it would be good to have a couple vets in there late 20s early 30s for when we are contenders again 

2 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

If Ollie is feeling like a bust to benning I'd be completely okay with this as I trust benning and his vision of this rebuild. I would just want compensation if duchene doesn't extend with us, I feel like it would be good to have a couple vets in there late 20s early 30s for when we are contenders again 

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

WE'RE NOT TRADING JUOLEVI :angry:

22 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

That is the rub with any team trading for Duchene this season.  They have no guarantee of having him long term.

That makes his value less and most likely not traded until after July 1st when any receiving team can organize an extension and know that they have him locked up and and what price.

I am not sure the limits of “conditions” you can put on contracts, but a condition where they send us a 2019 2nd round if he doesn’t extend would be prudent.

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Wouldn't work cap wise, just like every other trade proposal in this thread.

Also an overpayment.

Dig a bit deeper.

Landing this guy would mean that the team could dump one or two of Gagner and Brum. Cap problems are fluid pretty easily moved around. Pick up The Cracken. Whatever. 

Overpayment. Yes, agreed, but required to get a proven young, stud out of a rebuilding team. Also, the mediocracy going the other way is no big deal. Gaudette has a slim chance of ever becoming an impact player in the NHL anyways. 

I do this Trade no problem. Like I said, cap space isn't going to be a problem as soon as a trade makes some room. It's a hockey trade. Not going to happen, though. 

48 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Dig a bit deeper.

Landing this guy would mean that the team could dump one or two of Gagner and Brum. Cap problems are fluid pretty easily moved around. Pick up The Cracken. Whatever. 

Overpayment. Yes, agreed, but required to get a proven young, stud out of a rebuilding team. Also, the mediocracy going the other way is no big deal. Gaudette has a slim chance of ever becoming an impact player in the NHL anyways. 

I do this Trade no problem. Like I said, cap space isn't going to be a problem as soon as a trade makes some room. It's a hockey trade. Not going to happen, though. 

Typically speaking, I usually don't mind overpaying a bit if it means we get the best asset back in a trade.

I'd hate to give up on Gaudette. I think he has a high probability at becoming an NHL regular. Whether he ends up being a 2C or 3C is the question IMO. But if we were to acquire Duchene, we'd be set at center for a long time (assuming we were able to re-sign him). So I guess Gaudette would be expendable then. I would want to retain either Gaunce or the 3rd though.

Having said that, I don't think the cap situation is as easy to fix as you think. As it stands right now, no one would take Gagner. We live in a what have you done for me lately world and Gagner has 2 assists in 9 games. He was brought in to help fix the PP but unfortunately he hasn't come as advertised. That's not to say he won't turn things around but at the moment, he isn't getting traded. Not to mention it would look bad on JB and the front office having just signed him to a 3 year deal a few months ago. As far as Burmistrov goes, he's only making 900K. So in theory, we could trade Hutton, Gaunce and Burmistrov but you aren't replacing 3 players with 1. So you have to take into account the salary of the other players that we bring in to replace Hutton and Gaunce, assuming Duchene takes Burmistrov's roster spot. It just doesn't add up.

Archived