The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Brock Boeser

kurtzfan

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I certainly do remember, and we still see flashes of it, albeit less so now.

But my point has nothing to do with their decline in play and everything to do with the fact that you're essentially wanting to drive them out of town during the last year of their contracts; contracts that are likely going to finish off their careers; careers that they've spent entirely with our organization; an organization that has been positively transformed because of their play and leadership and community involvement--some will argue, in fact, myself included, that they've positively impacted professional sports as a whole because of their involvement within their community. To lump them in with Bure and Kesler is beyond ridiculous, considering what the Sedins have done compared to what Bure and Kesler ever did. 

But, hey, let's get rid of them before they "embarrass" themselves more. 

I don't think they're the ones that should feel embarrassed. 

No not embarrassed at all I am not trying to actively diss them in anyway just stating that they should finish on top and retire gracefully. I am in no way not saying they have had a great career they are just looking more and more out of place as the game speed picks up and they look slower and slower.

3 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Henrik is on pace for 82 points playing 13 minutes per night.  hahahhaa Troll on!

Or do you prefer Henrik has 1,000 points in his career.

The twins were our best forwards last game.  They are easily excellent players in their reduced roles.

Ok if you think they were our best players last game then we are definitely seeing 2 completely different games. 82 points!! I think your dreaming if you think that's going to happen. What does Hanks career points have to do with this discussion? Gretzky scored a lot of points too how is he going to do this year? WOW!

Is anyone concerned that BB way tiered after the preseason?  What is he going to be like in the middle of January?  If he starts to tier out in a month I wonder if he will be sent to Utica to work on his conditioning like Jake last year.

Didn't think he was that good tbh his first game... obviously he did well on the first PP we had and got himself his first assist, but I think his passing and decision making was off.

His hustle was %100 there... heavy on the backcheck, no lazy changes... 

Perhaps too many jitters and unfamiliarity his first game. I think he'll get better as the games go on. Wouldn't be surprised to see him pot in 40+ points.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, danjr said:

Vanek = Correct

Eriksson = Correct

Sedin's = are you daft?

Seriously I hope someone comes into your job and tells you to pack up your crap because you no longer matter.  Even though you are still doing as good or better than everyone else there.  You could have been the best employee that they have ever had and made the company better than it ever has been.  But we want to make way for people who just aren't able to cut it if you are here (lower the bar and it's easy for people to look good)

So tired of this mentality.

did you watch the game last night?  do you still think the Sedins should be playing?

On 10/11/2017 at 4:36 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Liabilities in what way?  They'll score more than the average player, they play decent defensively, they're great in the locker room, their cap hit means nothing on a rebuilding team.  

the won't score more than an average top-6 forward.  they won't play decent defensively.  

they ARE great in the locker room and their cap hit is meaningless.

They are my favorite all-time players on the canucsk... but I wouldn't want Pavel Bure playing right now either...

3 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

the won't score more than an average top-6 forward.  they won't play decent defensively.  

they ARE great in the locker room and their cap hit is meaningless.

They are my favorite all-time players on the canucsk... but I wouldn't want Pavel Bure playing right now either...

Does it really matter? Nobody on our team had the average production of a second line forward last season. Nobody. Having the Sedins on the ice this year helps keep the heat off the other guys. It's their final year and they'll play it out. I'd worry more about who will step up to the hot seat next year when they're gone.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Does it really matter? Nobody on our team had the average production of a second line forward last season. Nobody. Having the Sedins on the ice this year helps keep the heat off the other guys. It's their final year and they'll play it out. I'd worry more about who will step up to the hot seat next year when they're gone.

depends on what kind of culture you are trying to build.  gifting ice time to under-performing players - sedins on PP for instance - completely ruins the culture of "having to earn it".  I guess "earning it" is only for the young guys.  if you've already earned it in the past it can't be taken away from you, really it's a union job being a hockey player, seniority trumps talent.

anyways I know where you are coming from - the season is a write-off anyways so it doesn't matter.  But the culture does matter, or it should!

peace

16 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

depends on what kind of culture you are trying to build.  gifting ice time to under-performing players - sedins on PP for instance - completely ruins the culture of "having to earn it".  I guess "earning it" is only for the young guys.  if you've already earned it in the past it can't be taken away from you, really it's a union job being a hockey player, seniority trumps talent.

anyways I know where you are coming from - the season is a write-off anyways so it doesn't matter.  But the culture does matter, or it should!

peace

I don't think anybody can question their work ethic or effort. The real problem is at their age they shouldn't be playing against opponents top defenders. Until the opposing coach sees something better to put his top defenders against it is what it is. I don't see them as a negative at all or that they aren't earning it. I'd say the opposing coach will show you when they aren't earning it by playing his weakest defenders against them.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

I don't think anybody can question their work ethic or effort. The real problem is at their age they shouldn't be playing against opponents top defenders. Until the opposing coach sees something better to put his top defenders against it is what it is. I don't see them as a negative at all or that they aren't earning it. I'd say the opposing coach will show you when they aren't earning it by playing his weakest defenders against them.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

It’s sad but true... by not starting the rebuild 3 years ago the team isn’t close to turning it around.   And by not fully endorsing it now we guarantee we won’t be better 3 years from now.

this team won’t turn the corner until we get new ownership.  It’s hard to believe Benning or Linden are so dumb to have crafted a plan this poor with so many mid-stream shifts...  big tough players.... no wait skilled guys... young players are best.. except we are better with older players to make the playoffs...  how about young players?  Is 30 young enough to rebuild?  Or make the playoffs?  Free agency is here where is our quick fix?  Draft time so tell everyone we are rebuilding.  Trade deadline - don’t get draft picks even though that is our strength - get players that are older and can help us make the playoffs next year - but send them to Utica.   but we are rebuilding.  For the playoffs this year.  You have to earn ice time.  Let’s sign enough players to creat competition for jobs, but don’t worry if these players can actually help the team win - as long as they are better than players from junior.  Youth movement this year - so we just signed a handful of late 20s players to one way contracts.   But we will make room for the young guys...  except we can’t lose these players for nothing, they have one way contracts.  What year is it anyways?  The new condos at gm place are up we need a team to compete.  Who is available in free agency?  Can you do it Jim?  It’s a no win situation - the klingons have you surrounded and the Kobayashi Maru scenario is looking grim....   let’s just let ownership run the team— kind of his Donald Trump runs the White House:  reality plays no part in the decision making.

There is no plan.   We are the oilers of this decade....  

40 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

It’s sad but true... by not starting the rebuild 3 years ago the team isn’t close to turning it around.   And by not fully endorsing it now we guarantee we won’t be better 3 years from now.

this team won’t turn the corner until we get new ownership.  It’s hard to believe Benning or Linden are so dumb to have crafted a plan this poor with so many mid-stream shifts...  big tough players.... no wait skilled guys... young players are best.. except we are better with older players to make the playoffs...  how about young players?  Is 30 young enough to rebuild?  Or make the playoffs?  Free agency is here where is our quick fix?  Draft time so tell everyone we are rebuilding.  Trade deadline - don’t get draft picks even though that is our strength - get players that are older and can help us make the playoffs next year - but send them to Utica.   but we are rebuilding.  For the playoffs this year.  You have to earn ice time.  Let’s sign enough players to creat competition for jobs, but don’t worry if these players can actually help the team win - as long as they are better than players from junior.  Youth movement this year - so we just signed a handful of late 20s players to one way contracts.   But we will make room for the young guys...  except we can’t lose these players for nothing, they have one way contracts.  What year is it anyways?  The new condos at gm place are up we need a team to compete.  Who is available in free agency?  Can you do it Jim?  It’s a no win situation - the klingons have you surrounded and the Kobayashi Maru scenario is looking grim....   let’s just let ownership run the team— kind of his Donald Trump runs the White House:  reality plays no part in the decision making.

There is no plan.   We are the oilers of this decade....  

Well that's a load of nonsense.

Wow. This thread sure went off topic. Happens in all forums. Typical CDC. With such passionate fans, myself included, it'd be hard to be a moderator in here. Okay. I'll bite...................

The twins still have what they've always possessed. And that's their passing abilities. They were never great skaters. Neither fast or quick out of the gate. Sedins just need their linemates to get open. Twins, especially Henrik, can get it to them even if it seems impossible. They just need a little open space and, bam! A perfect saucer pass.

Probably be a good idea to split 'em up and see what they can do. They still look good on the PP. Dangerous, dare I say. That being said, the team lacks an effective powerplay d-man. Stetcher or Del Zotto could be the ones. Definitely not Hutton. Edler, though I never thought he was the one, is not as good as he once was.

PP? D-men that can get it through to the net.

Big body causing havoc in front of the net.

Big shot winger that can get open. Boeser??!?!?!?? Hmmm.....does that get us back on topic?:rolleyes:

This treatment of Boeser reminds me a bit of what the Nucks did with Nedved one year, hardly any home ice time but on the road it was different. Nedved hardly got any PP time though.

People mostly remember the negative publicity the team put out about him but he was a decent player the second highest goal scorer on the team with almost no PP time at all and sat for most home games for some reason. I remember him coming out to play at the local rink and the Nucks forbidding him to do that so he started playing ball hockey and the Nucks vetoed that as well.

Maybe they are thinking about not having any money to pay him his next contract, maybe they are just trying to show him who is the boss, maybe they are setting up a trade where they can say he asked for it because there certainly doesn't appear to be a reason for him to be watching instead of playing, maybe they ARE planning on being a top lottery pick again and don't want to hurt those chances too much. 

I think they are messing with Boeser ...and Rodin too....

They want to keep Boeser as far away from the Calder as posibble....keep his cap hit from bonuses to minimum now and prevent a 10M/yr contract in a couple years...

same with Rodin....he deserved a spot on the limited time they gave him in training camp...then they screwed up on getting him to get his visa together so that he had to practise with the T-birds for to long...

When he finally gets in a game he gets 4 shots on goal in a low scoring game and they cut him the next game due to the "veteran rule"....for christ's sake Cull...there are other veterans that could have sat,  he needs games so he can be ready to earn a contract....not legislated rest that will put him behind the 8 ball again when he does come up....

It is looking fishy to me and Palmu....

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This treatment of Boeser reminds me a bit of what the Nucks did with Nedved one year, hardly any home ice time but on the road it was different. Nedved hardly got any PP time though.

People mostly remember the negative publicity the team put out about him but he was a decent player the second highest goal scorer on the team with almost no PP time at all and sat for most home games for some reason. I remember him coming out to play at the local rink and the Nucks forbidding him to do that so he started playing ball hockey and the Nucks vetoed that as well.

Maybe they are thinking about not having any money to pay him his next contract, maybe they are just trying to show him who is the boss, maybe they are setting up a trade where they can say he asked for it because there certainly doesn't appear to be a reason for him to be watching instead of playing, maybe they ARE planning on being a top lottery pick again and don't want to hurt those chances too much. 

your reasoning doesn't make sense because ticket sales has been abysmal. Why would they do that to a promising young player the fans want to watch? It would be a bad PR and bad for his development and it doesn't make sense to tank now when you could be 17th in NHL standings and still win the lottery. 

7 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Boeser averaged 17 min a night - that's 4th among forwards.  Horvat, Granlund, Baer are the top-3 in average ice time.  The Sedins and Sutter are the only vets that passed the 15min mark.

Boeser is 4th in PP time among the Fs - behind the Sedins and Vanek.  I don't really see a reason to complain about his ice time.  

He did not play the first two games because they felt he was tired towards the end.  He had a very busy pre-season and has been playing since the young stars.  He only played 41 games last season (32 with UND and 9 with the Canucks).  Now he is already at 9.  You are asking him to double his schedule in a much tougher league.  

Archived