The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ring of Honor: Bertuzzi or Burrows?

canuckels

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

This is what happens when the team you and I cheer for has few reasons to celebrate. We have to honour something right? So lets choose a 3rd liner who caught fire in a bottle for a few seasons but worked his way into the urban legend books by scoring a big goal in the first round of a playoff bracket.

But yes I would pick him over a guy who, if I close my eyes, all I recall doing is sucker punching an opposing player in the back of the skull. But I would choose pretty much anyone over Bertuzzi.

the next player I want to see in the Ring of Honour is the player who leads this team to a Stanley Cup win. That's something worth honouring.

Really, you can't appreciate Burr's story without "a cup"? All that hard work, risk, becoming a heart and soul player? guys like Marchand have got away with more than Burr did and the league celebrates that guy, but they'd be happy to forget Burr. Using your logic we should take down the names up there already. 

I'm just saying as a 30 year old, and been being immersed in both good rides with the west coast express when Bert was at his best and burrs prime here. Bert can't come close to burrs significant impact he made numerous times, and coming from the echl is a feat on its own.

im just saying when I heard that today, I gave it a few minutes to sink in, and then I was like no way, no how does Bert come close. Generally speaking when put into perspective I don't know if either will get the nod. But again burr over Bert.

p.s.: didn't wanna be cliche and put up a poll. :)

As much as I've enjoyed winning and losing with this team, I draw the fan line at biting, hair-pulling and criminal assault. As unpopular this is going to be for sentimental posters, it has to be said: The only ring either of those two should be getting into is the dishonour ring.

These two ex Canucks did more to ruin this team's identity and respect than anyone else ever has. Be honest, be critical and consider this as a possibility before you wish to permanently attach this franchise to those players. The men in the ring of 'honor' are, honourable. Let's not let in anything that jeopardizes the Ring. 

It's not about winning or losing, it's about how you play the game. This maxim should guide you to a sensible answer. 

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

As much as I've enjoyed winning and losing with this team, I draw the fan line at biting, hair-pulling and criminal assault. As unpopular this is going to be for sentimental posters, it has to be said: The only ring either of those two should be getting into is the dishonour ring.

These two ex Canucks did more to ruin this team's identity and respect than anyone else ever has. Be honest, be critical and consider this as a possibility before you wish to permanently attach this franchise to those players. The men in the ring of 'honor' are, honourable. Let's not let in anything that jeopardizes the Ring. 

It's not about winning or losing, it's about how you play the game. This maxim should guide you to a sensible answer. 

Sorry enforcer but you’re out to lunch with this..,,

its all about winning, and you do what you can. Marchand is being a rat, Keith elbowed Sedin, cooke cheap shooted just about any one and and all the Kings, don’t get me started. 

Burrows did what he could to win, and it almost brought the cup to Vancouver. 

If Moore hadn’t ended up in a wheelchair, Bert would have been the hero of Vancouver. 

This is not Baseball or Syncroniced swimming... Don’t like hair pulling, or biting, but if a jerk stuck his fingers into my mouth i’d also make sure he never did it again. 

Burrows was fighting the wars in the gutters, and you need that....

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Really, you can't appreciate Burr's story without "a cup"? All that hard work, risk, becoming a heart and soul player? guys like Marchand have got away with more than Burr did and the league celebrates that guy, but they'd be happy to forget Burr. Using your logic we should take down the names up there already. 

Is it the Ring of Honour or Ring of Fan Favourites?

The other guys up there at least have a statistical milestone or an honour of equivalent merit. What are you going to write beside Burrows name? Scored a dramatic playoff goal in the first round? Worked hard?

I was happily watching and fist pumping when Burrows goal eliminated the hated Hawks but to me it wasn't anything more than a great moment. The rest of it is just a feel good story. So if you are qualifying Burrows based on feels, that is your choice. My criteria for future entrants is being the leader who finally earns this team a Cup win. Your ROH will be full by next year and mine will be empty for a while still.

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

I would go Luongo, Kesler, Bertuzzi and then Burrows. 

Arguably none of them deserve to there, but in the order they should if they all did, that would be it.

Kesler?  No.  Pavel Bure is the only player who can demand a trade out of town and still warrant being honored. Same with Lou..bridge burned. 

Jirki Lumme deserves a spot over all of them expect maybe Burrows imo.  

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

The other guys up there at least have a statistical milestone or an honour of equivalent merit. What are you going to write beside Burrows name? Scored a dramatic playoff goal in the first round? Worked hard?

I was happily watching and fist pumping when Burrows goal eliminated the hated Hawks but to me it wasn't anything more than a great moment. The rest of it is just a feel good story. So if you are qualifying Burrows based on feels, that is your choice. My criteria for future entrants is being the leader who finally earns this team a Cup win. Your ROH will be full by next year and mine will be empty for a while still.

It some tough criteria you set for ROH... I’d like to think the leader of the team, which wins the cup, will go to the rafters instead...

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

yah it would be a real tragedy to honour a fan favourite player... 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yah it would be a real tragedy to honour a fan favourite player... 

Please don't take my opinion as being any better than yours, I wasn't trying to come off that way.

Simply put, we have different ideas of what qualifies a player for ROH status.

Just now, RonMexico said:

Please don't take my opinion as being any better than yours, I wasn't trying to come off that way.

Simply put, we have different ideas of what qualifies a player for ROH status.

fair enough. But look at it this way, he isn't going to get his number retired, or make the hhof, but he was a huge part of the last great run, did a ton of community work, has a great story and embodies the kind of effort fans love. and its not like there's a big lineup of these guys either, to me that deserves the ROH spot as much as Neilson deserves a stature outside Rogers, sometimes a nod to the fans is the right thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fair enough. But look at it this way, he isn't going to get his number retired, or make the hhof, but he was a huge part of the last great run, did a ton of community work, has a great story and embodies the kind of effort fans love. and its not like there's a big lineup of these guys either, to me that deserves the ROH spot as much as Neilson deserves a stature outside Rogers, sometimes a nod to the fans is the right thing to do. 

Exactly. We're not talking about HHOF or number retirement, we're talking about ROH. While both players have had some questionable moments as Canucks, both played integral parts for the organization during their careers. It's not like we're a storied franchise with dozens of cups and a laundry list of successful players to honour. Having said that, I'd pick Burrows over Bertuzzi, but Tanti over both for any immediate ROH consideration. At some point, some really good alumni are going to be left off the ROH. I'm glad I'm not the one deciding who that might be.

I have no ill will towards Bert, but I wouldn't put him in the ROH because of the controversy alone.  Burrows has such a great history with our franchise, and the Sedin's credit him with elevating their game, so given those choices it's Burr.  I wouldn't complain at all seeing his name up there, he was one of our best real heart and soul guys.  I would like to see Steamer up there first, or even Tony Tanti who scored a lot of goals when we were in dark times.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

its all about winning, and you do what you can. Marchand is being a rat, Keith elbowed Sedin, cooke cheap shooted just about any one and and all the Kings, don’t get me started. 

If Moore hadn’t ended up in a wheelchair, Bert would have been the hero of Vancouver. 

This is not Baseball or Syncroniced swimming... Don’t like hair pulling, or biting, but if a jerk stuck his fingers into my mouth i’d also make sure he never did it again. 

you're wasting your time

with a guy that fluffs the #Leafs shameless tankshow like no other, but comes here to soapbox preach that it's about "how you play the game' lol.

3 hours ago, RonMexico said:

lets choose a 3rd liner who caught fire in a bottle for a few seasons but worked his way into the urban legend books by scoring a big goal

the guy scored about 120 goals - almost exclusively 5 on 5 (or shorthanded) - over a four year span of the franchise's most competitive in it's history - but apparently can be dismissed as a "3rd liner" who scored 1 big goal....

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

I knew there would be opposition to my position and can appreciate other folks' views. Still, I chimed in on the word honor because it means something to me and certainly to the ring itself and its membership. 

Fans will be fans. Fans here hate Marchand. Fans here think Burr is a good guy. I'm not going to get in the way of the herd of independent minds here, but will remind them of what honor is, in the context of upvoting ideas and opinions on behaviour and player respect, of which you will find little for Burr, but some for Bert. 

You dont give a guy like them your flag, you just don't. There is a reason people out there have loved to hate this team. 

# respect is earned 

Archived