The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When can we extend Jim Bennings contract?

FijianCanuck

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I swear, if you were had more lexical dexterity, your real name would be Tony Gallagher.

I kid.  Agree to disagree.

just getting P eyed,;) damn machine just keeps sprouting things on the screen.:lol: Tony Gallagher, T Gallagher, TG, The Guardian, ......I get it:lol::lol::lol:

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:27 AM, Tom Sestito said:

I don't expect any good attendance records when the team sucks. Aquilini found a GM who sold him on an idea of a team who would compete for the playoffs every year that retooled on the fly and would be competitive by year four or five in an attempt to avoid empty seats and falling revenue of a bottom feeder

Its a hard fence to decide which side & when to jump off on?

Its a hard balance being competitive. Ron Hextall exclaimed last year that they could not tank. Had to try and win, perpetuate a team that put it all out there on the ice! Its not '' in our DNA!'' But he was speaking of the day to day micro managing of the team.

At a macro level he still traded Brayden Schenn in his prime in summer.  And have been collecting a small army of outstanding prospects. Exclaimed by some, even without Patrick, as the best pool in the NHL.

11 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Hey Ibatch, are you referring to a ranking for the 2017/2018 season?  Just want to make sure before I go hunting for it...

Yep, I'm not sure where the next ranking will be, it should come out around the draft, lots of moving parts not just with our clubs as a lot of the cream has played enough to be considered rookies and no longer prospects.  I'd expect some minor juggling.  Then the draft and another ranking in the summer comes out.

It will be interesting to see what Lind, Demko, Juolevi and Petterssons upward trajectory has done for us in this context, Boeser will make an impact, JV not so much given he was ranked close to tenth on our team, and if Goldobin had done enough to no longer even be on the list.

Curiously THN are still very high on Juolevi, he's been ranked our best prospect ( above Boeser entering the season) let's hope they are right.

15 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I think seeing this fact from different viewpoints is what separates most reasonable pro/anti Benning people. 

Everyone knows that this team couldn't be saved when Benning was hired.  

So pro Benning crowd says you can't expect quick results.  He's built a good prospect pool and you have to be patient to see it.

Anti Benning crowd says, how didn't Benning see that this team couldn't be saved.  Hurt rebuild by trying to compete instead of dumping players for picks.

That sounds pretty reasonable.  One thing that pretty much everyone can agree on is that they want what's best for the team.  I'm sure someone out there could do a better job, if Benning is let go they better be very careful in who they chose.  I don't think recycling with a comparable GM is healthy for the rebuild as it usually is disruptive and adds some years to the whole thing, that and the fact Benning has done a way above average job drafting are the main reasons I want a two year extension.  I'd like it if he was given a chance to finish what he started more than bracing myself for a different GMs stamp on the club.  Maybe the best thing is to see how he does this deadline and at the draft.  I'm nervous about comments that they may not trade Vanek and instead resign him because the Sedins may retire.  Trade him regardless, as well as anyone else that could add picks and prospects, or solid but younger defenseman.  He can find suitable and affordable journeyman again this summer.  Rinse and repeat until this teams youth organicly takes over.   Not rocket science, if he can't do that or flops on the draft, signs Kane for over 7  million and term, than I'd change sides.

If he signs Tavares and Kane and OEL next year, well I'd guess the rebuiding is done and we'd have a much different looking team. 

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its a hard fence to decide which side & when to jump off on?

Its a hard balance being competitive. Ron Hextall exclaimed last year that they could not tank. Had to try and win, perpetuate a team that put it all out there on the ice! Its not '' in our DNA!'' But he was speaking of the day to day micro managing of the team.

At a macro level he still traded Brayden Schenn in his prime in summer.  And have been collecting a small army of outstanding prospects. Exclaimed by some, even without Patrick, as the best pool in the NHL.

Getting Patrick last year was a little hard to take, given that they are a playoff team on a down year.  With Courturier doing his best  Bailey/Lee impression ( career .5 PPGer scoring at a PPG) and Ghost/Provorov doing their best Weber Suter impression ten years ago, this team is bound for some very good things.  Goaltending is a little questionable, but has been since Hextall left or even Parent, this is Philly we are talking about ( they would have won three cups with Lindros if they had a Roy, Hasek, Belfour or Broduer in net, instead they had a revolving door of mediocre guys, and haven't stopped since).  

The best guys in their prospect pool are on the team or very close, so it won't be long before they blow their load and no longer have a great pool..the same will hopefully happen to us over the next two or three years, with who's already made the show we could have eight 23 and unders very soon, plus a nice compliment of guys under 27.  Add the Sedins retirement and we could become one of the youngest teams with loads of potential. 2019- 2020 is going to be a good year for us, book it.

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Getting Patrick last year was a little hard to take, given that they are a playoff team on a down year.  With Courturier doing his best  Bailey/Lee impression ( career .5 PPGer scoring at a PPG) and Ghost/Provorov doing their best Weber Suter impression ten years ago, this team is bound for some very good things.  Goaltending is a little questionable, but has been since Hextall left or even Parent, this is Philly we are talking about ( they would have won three cups with Lindros if they had a Roy, Hasek, Belfour or Broduer in net, instead they had a revolving door of mediocre guys, and haven't stopped since).  

The best guys in their prospect pool are on the team or very close, so it won't be long before they blow their load and no longer have a great pool..the same will hopefully happen to us over the next two or three years, with who's already made the show we could have eight 23 and unders very soon, plus a nice compliment of guys under 27.  Add the Sedins retirement and we could become one of the youngest teams with loads of potential. 2019- 2020 is going to be a good year for us, book it.

From Dobber Prospects September list;  http://www.dobberprospects.com/2017-organizational-prospects-rankings/

1. Philadelphia Flyers – 21

Even without winning the Draft lottery and vaulting up to second overall pick, the Flyers still would have been first overall on this list. The embarrassment of riches they boast on the blueline is only the tip of the iceberg; Philadelphia is loaded for bear with high end prospects at every position. Peter Harling

It wasn't even close for me. Philly has the best system right now.  Joel Henderson

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That sounds pretty reasonable.  One thing that pretty much everyone can agree on is that they want what's best for the team.  I'm sure someone out there could do a better job, if Benning is let go they better be very careful in who they chose.  I don't think recycling with a comparable GM is healthy for the rebuild as it usually is disruptive and adds some years to the whole thing, that and the fact Benning has done a way above average job drafting are the main reasons I want a two year extension.  I'd like it if he was given a chance to finish what he started more than bracing myself for a different GMs stamp on the club.  Maybe the best thing is to see how he does this deadline and at the draft.  I'm nervous about comments that they may not trade Vanek and instead resign him because the Sedins may retire.  Trade him regardless, as well as anyone else that could add picks and prospects, or solid but younger defenseman.  He can find suitable and affordable journeyman again this summer.  Rinse and repeat until this teams youth organicly takes over.   Not rocket science, if he can't do that or flops on the draft, signs Kane for over 7  million and term, than I'd change sides.

If he signs Tavares and Kane and OEL next year, well I'd guess the rebuiding is done and we'd have a much different looking team. 

For a GM? I can't remember a GM having a two year extension can you?

My biggest fear with a Benning replacement is the Chiarelli/Rowe equation

Too often we see a new GM come in and...make their mark

The pressure to compete now could very well see our current stable of prospects halved.  Imagine losing Lind, Gadjovich, Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette for a 24 to 28 year old player who has most likely reached their peak just to compete now.

Yikes

39 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

For a GM? I can't remember a GM having a two year extension can you?

Not really, for Vancouver anyways.  It's not really a big vote of confidence, but given that four years wasn't enough for his re-tool rebuilding, and it failed to work ( but he did create our pool which includes a current and probable future Calder candidate, at least according to the recent THN editon with Boeser on the cover) two more years seems fair.  

I suppose they could give him four years, but replace him if he struggles with signing and filling holes later.  He did fine with the Horvat contract which bodes well, it set a precedent that future stars will be given fair contracts and not be overpaid.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

My biggest fear with a Benning replacement is the Chiarelli/Rowe equation

Too often we see a new GM come in and...make their mark

The pressure to compete now could very well see our current stable of prospects halved.  Imagine losing Lind, Gadjovich, Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette for a 24 to 28 year old player who has most likely reached their peak just to compete now.

Yikes

Ugh for sure.  It's not uncommon for a GM to come into and find a trade that exorcises the old regime, both in their prospects and their veterans.  Just look back to the Keenan days and start to cringe.  On paper we had the best team ever assembled, led by Linden and supported by Bure, Mogilny, Gelinas etc, if only Messer accepted a second line center role that team would have been amazing.  Very servicable defense and clutch goaltending.

It was a turn key operation that was destroyed by ego.  New GMs seem to have a pressure to do something right away, imagine Boeser, Horvat and anyone else on the block to make that first impression.

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ugh for sure.  It's not uncommon for a GM to come into and find a trade that exorcises the old regime, both in their prospects and their veterans.  Just look back to the Keenan days and start to cringe.  On paper we had the best team ever assembled, led by Linden and supported by Bure, Mogilny, Gelinas etc, if only Messer accepted a second line center role that team would have been amazing.  Very servicable defense and clutch goaltending.

It was a turn key operation that was destroyed by ego.  New GMs seem to have a pressure to do something right away, imagine Boeser, Horvat and anyone else on the block to make that first impression.

Just imagine if Chia Pet had not traded Hall or Ebrle or the Barzal pick trying to "make his mark"

What a god awful fearsome top 9 the Oilers would have

Or what about Rowe in Florida

Took a divisional champ and fired the coach and tore it down in weeks....now contending for a lottery win in back to back years

And sooo many more GMs out there that did the same kind of things to "make their mark" or make ownership happy

On 1/21/2018 at 11:49 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Other than trading Subban for another AHLer, has JB done anything this season to prepare for this year’s draft and the future? Pouliot?

It’s getting pretty close to the TDL, I’d have thought there would be some maneuvering by now. 

What do you guys think of him sitting on his hands?

What are his moves before the TDL passes?

"Sitting on his hands" -- oh, but Dowd and Pouliot don't count, even though he turned two AHL players into NHL players.  There have been 26 trades since the season began, and Benning has done 2 of them.

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Sitting on his hands" -- oh, but Dowd and Pouliot don't count, even though he turned two AHL players into NHL players.  There have been 26 trades since the season began, and Benning has done 2 of them.

Pouliot is still worthy of debate.  Dowd is turning out to be a gooder.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Just imagine if Chia Pet had not traded Hall or Ebrle or the Barzal pick trying to "make his mark"

What a god awful fearsome top 9 the Oilers would have

Or what about Rowe in Florida

Took a divisional champ and fired the coach and tore it down in weeks....now contending for a lottery win in back to back years

And sooo many more GMs out there that did the same kind of things to "make their mark" or make ownership happy

Right, absolutely.  It's like human GM nature.  Hall, Eberle, Barzal and if that's not enough now theirs talk or cashing in his last card in RNH.  What a dupe s#@$.   I guess we should be sending thank you cards.  Or maybe Benning should have offered Tanev for Hall.  

Watching Vegas do their thing I'm sure their are Florida fans pissed about not keeping Gallant.  

I do get the anti-Benning sentiment on this site, but also do hope those not in favour, including the guys that call the shots, take heed of what can happen, and if they do go with someone else prepare a short lease on any thoughts of re-tooling the re-tool.

Who do you replace him with?

No point in making change just for the sake of it. He deserves a three year extension to follow through with his build IMO.

My guess is they're going to give him the trade deadline to see what he can do, and unless he really disappoints he'll probably get one shortly after.

If they really didn't plan on re-signing him, why let him make such important trades at the deadline?

21 hours ago, Solinar said:

And then I hear a foul rumour of going all in for Evander Kane and Robin Lehner in exchange for Tanev, Pettersson, 2018 first and a 2019 2nd....  After I finished vomiting, and argued against a friend that was for this...  

That is not a rumour. That is from some stupid hack blogger from Eklund's site giving his uneducated opinion on what Kane is worth.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Do you think that is enough movement for a rebuilding roster?

Moving Subban and Pedan??? Wow, slow clap. 

13 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Do you think that is enough movement for a rebuilding roster?

Moving Subban and Pedan??? Wow, slow clap. 

The TDL hasn't even passed.  What moves are you expecting earlier in the season?  At least the moves that Benning has made this season makes the organization better.  If Benning doesn't do anything at the TDL, then you can slow clap all you want, I doubt he'll still be GM though, if this happens.  CDC needs to be more patient.  Too many millennials wanting everything now.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Getting a soon to be 28 yr old 4th line centre that is good at draws....

Wow, thats really going to help our club on the rebuild. 

I did like the Pulliout pick up though.  Still to early to  evaluate his future on the club though.  Interestingly.. Pedan is number 2 in pts for Wilkes at this point.

I wonder if Pedan gets called up to Pits later this year..... playoffs ? 

14 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

The TDL hasn't even passed.  What moves are you expecting earlier in the season?  At least the moves that Benning has made this season makes the organization better.  If Benning doesn't do anything at the TDL, then you can slow clap all you want, I doubt he'll still be GM though, if this happens.  CDC needs to be more patient.  Too many millennials wanting everything now.

I am a tanker, not a now type.

I want the pain. 

If anyone reading agrees with what quote content I was posting against; that JB has NOT done enough work this season to be rid of any skepticism on that front, then I think you are, coincidentally, the Millennial here... somebody too young to have a reference to what rebuilding entails or what those trades look like. 

Trading for Dowd and Pouliot are not nearly enough moves for this roster. I can wait for the TDL. I have for decades. Should I expect 5 trades on that day? Is that what your point reduces to, as you conceded that if he hasn’t made rebuild trades by then he won’t have a job...?

Archived