The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When can we extend Jim Bennings contract?

FijianCanuck

19 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good grief.  Nobody was going to come in here and get the team back in four years.  He's won more that he's lost on his trades and drafted two guys that might win the Calder.  What exactly is the ton of youth your refering too?  Most the guys that have gone the other way have amounted to nothing, and the few picks he's traded got us roster players.  Funny how nobody talks about the picks the other way either only the TON of picks and youth weve given up.  We have Boeser, Pettersson, Demko and Juolevi to look forward to, guys we wouldn't have and that will put butts in seats while we finish the rebuild, and a slew of guys that could also make it.  What did we have when Gillis was left?  Hutton.  

Who knows who pushed the doomed re-tool, it doesn't really matter.  To me Benning is a failure if we don't have many impact players coming up.  I hated the Juolevi pick and the L.E. signing.  The rest is nitpicking.  I think a portion of the CDC has never seen anything but the WCE and Sedin era, and have been spoiled by all the winning and think it should never end.

This cycle was going to bottom out hard given that we got only Horvat and Sutter to show from cashing out ( ok Goldobin, Dahlen and a fourth rounder too, whoopie, plus Bieksas pick), thank Gillis for that and for wrecking a team that could have stayed on top for three or four more years.  

Bennings deserves two more years to play it out.  It's entirely possible this team will do what COL is doing right now next year...I wonder what people will say about him then, and if this team gets a new GM who people will assign the credit to.  I don't want a situation where we go through four GMs in almost as many years as OTT did when they had Yashin.  

Patience, the team is better this year despite the standings, we are in most games even during the injury spell.  Horvat is back and the winning is too.  Add Pettersson and Juolevi next year, possibly Demko to solve our goaltening issues...and who knows maybe this team will survive without the Sedins still carrying the mail.

What a top notch post! Cannot add a thing you nailed it. That said I cannot but add that the WCE era is idolized by many and yet they never got the club beyond the 2nd Round. IMHO what Benning is working towards goes a tad higher. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What a top notch post! Cannot add a thing you nailed it. That said I cannot but add that the WCE era is idolized by many and yet they never got the club beyond the 2nd Round. IMHO what Benning is working towards goes a tad higher. 

Thanks!  I do understand all the love for the WCE guys, my generation grew up with the Canucks but I didn't really follow them religiously until the Linden days so they were my heros.  Had sticker books filled out when they went to the final the first time, and thought the team that almost best Calgary when they won the cup was awesome. Personally I think you hold a special place in your heart for whoever was playing whenever you first started following the club every move.  No doubt their is a new generation that will consider Horvat, Boeser and likely Pettersson, Demko and a few others ( hopefully Juolevi) as the bomb.

6 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

JB will not be re-signed , I completely disagree with that decision but the longer he goes without a contract ..... I believe the writing is on the wall and it stinks of meddling by you know who. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

I'm actually not sure who you are referring to? Who's meddling?

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

2) Our prospects I agree do look promising, so did Fox and all top scorers in SWL too that we signed and failed,

What you forget is that Fox was passed over in the draft twice.  He was a money ball signing. An $80,000 signing bonus and a 2 year AHL commitment at $100K a year (or so). Not even a 7th round pick exhausted. Scouts knew he had scoring ability and an edge to his game. They also knew he had attitude & lifestyle issues. Moreso, and most important, they knew he lacked NHL speed, agility and athletic ability. Marry that to a guy who had attitude issues, and its not hard to project he was not training to improve his speed & conditioning when he arrived @ prospect camp with Travis Green.

Green cut him & sent him to Kalamazoo on the first day of camp. Message sent!

That's different than Petterson? Who had the 2knd best Windgate endurance, 7th best max power threshold of 102 elite athletes tested at the draft combine. An astonishing motor with tangible skills a scout can salivate over. 

There was a kid who outscored HIschier in Halifax for the Mooseheads last year. Nearly outscored Ehlers the year before; Maxime Fortier?  He went undrafted twice as well. The scouts know when a players skills probably will not translate? Even if you don't. 

He's also a money puck signing, for Columbus.  Maybe he will learn from Fox's mistakes. Get ripped, and start putting the work in, gain the speed scouts say he lacks. There are guys, say Adam Oates, who were excellent talents, poor athletes at junior age. And never got drafted. Once every few years, one, like Oates works through it, becomes an all star or hall of famer.

Guys like Benning are picking guys like Lockwood, and Gaudette for that work ethic. Tryamkin and Jake for their athletic ability, considering their size.  These are scoutable attributes, like Petterson's extreme fitness.Not just being impressed because they scored a 100, 120 points in junior. 

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What you forget is that Fox was passed over in the draft twice.  He was a money ball signing. An $80,000 signing bonus and a 2 year AHL commitment at $100K a year (or so). Not even a 7th round pick exhausted. Scouts knew he had scoring ability and an edge to his game. They also knew he had attitude & lifestyle issues. Moreso, and most important, they knew he lacked NHL speed, agility and athletic ability. Marry that to a guy who had attitude issues, and its not hard to project he was not training to improve his speed & conditioning when he arrived @ prospect camp with Travis Green.

Green cut him & sent him to Kalamazoo on the first day of camp. Message sent!

That's different than Petterson? Who had the 2knd best Windgate endurance, 7th best max power threshold of 102 elite athletes tested at the draft combine. An astonishing motor with tangible skills a scout can salivate over. 

There was a kid who outscored HIschier in Halifax for the Mooseheads last year. Nearly outscored Ehlers the year before; Maxime Fortier?  He went undrafted twice as well. The scouts know when a players skills probably will not translate? Even if you don't. 

He's also a money puck signing, for Columbus.  Maybe he will learn from Fox's mistakes. Get ripped, and start putting the work in, gain the speed scouts say he lacks. There are guys, say Adam Oates, who were excellent talents, poor athletes at junior age. And never got drafted. Once every few years, one, like Oates works through it, becomes an all star or hall of famer.

Guys like Benning are picking guys like Lockwood, and Gaudette for that work ethic. Tryamkin and Jake for their athletic ability, considering their size.  These are scoutable attributes, like Petterson's extreme fitness.Not just being impressed because they scored a 100, 120 points in junior. 

Every once in a while , when you filter through dozens of posts that really dont say much, you get to a post where you learn something....for me this was one of them...good stuff...

Jim Bening has single handedly set this franchise back for years.

As an owner, you hire a GM who spends to the cap every year which has resulted in an embarrassing first round upset by a young Calgary team, bottom five finish to pass on Tkachuk (who’s going to be a stud for the next 10 years) over Juolevi, then to finish bottom five again and this year looks to be another bottom five finish. 

Pretty sure Jim Benning has the worst dollars spent/points in the NHL ever since he started as a GM. This means he is the least effective GM in the entire NHL with regards to real money - stuff that owners would care about.

The macro view of the situation looks horrible for JB and is probably the sole reason he won’t be resigned. No company would spend to their max every year to yield the worst possible results.

On a micro scale Jim has been just as bad. The roster is littered with average or non value adding players. The roster is a tirefire and even though some prospects look good, they’re prospects. Some pan and some don’t. 

This team doesnt look to be competitive for another 3-4 years. I’m pretty sure the Aquilinis didn’t sign up for an 8 year rebuild after seeing how fast Toronto retooled after Shanahan came in. Boston has retooled extremely fast. Colorado went from historically worst team of the cap era to an above average team in one year.

This process is way too slow. JB has done nothing to warrant a re-signing. His best move of Boeser is countered with flubbing the 6th overall pick and passing up on potential 1C Nylander. Most of his moves on a micro scale have been trash, macro view looks even worse.

24 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

As an owner, you hire a GM who spends to the cap every year which has resulted in an embarrassing first round upset by a young Calgary team, bottom five finish to pass on Tkachuk (who’s going to be a stud for the next 10 years) over Juolevi, then to finish bottom five again and this year looks to be another bottom five finish. 

Pretty sure Jim Benning has the worst dollars spent/points in the NHL ever since he started as a GM. This means he is the least effective GM in the entire NHL with regards to real money - stuff that owners would care about.

The macro view of the situation looks horrible for JB and is probably the sole reason he won’t be resigned. No company would spend to their max every year to yield the worst possible results.

On a micro scale Jim has been just as bad. The roster is littered with average or non value adding players. The roster is a tirefire and even though some prospects look good, they’re prospects. Some pan and some don’t. 

This team doesnt look to be competitive for another 3-4 years. I’m pretty sure the Aquilinis didn’t sign up for an 8 year rebuild after seeing how fast Toronto retooled after Shanahan came in. Boston has retooled extremely fast. Colorado went from historically worst team of the cap era to an above average team in one year.

This process is way too slow. JB has done nothing to warrant a re-signing. His best move of Boeser is countered with flubbing the 6th overall pick and passing up on potential 1C Nylander. Most of his moves on a micro scale have been trash, macro view looks even worse.

But, but, but it is not Jim's fault, he can't be that bad, it is the owner's fault, yeah, it is his fault. There is no way that a rookie GM didn't turn out to be brilliant or a rookie president isn't a genius, that's Linden, he can do no wrong, he is perfect. 

Jim is a scouting genius, just look at how good he did before the internet way back in 2003, 14 years ago, the last time he was a scout or in charge of scouting.

It is not Jim's fault that his high draft picks aren't as good as everyone else's, he got Boeser, the guy that was ranked 23rd in that draft, a player those other GM's missed, who would he have taken at #5? Look at all the AHL players that he has given a chance in the NHL, isn't that good? He is a drafting GM, even though he has traded away 17 draft picks.

Just look at how all his friends and family and old hockey buddies he has given jobs, just like in Edmonton. Oops, some of that is on Linden

Jim has the most prospects in Canuck history, that haven't made the team in 4 years, so the pool is big now. Heck he has the most prospects in the NHL that haven't made their teams in 4 years. Well I did forget about McCann and Forsling and Tryamkin.

Jim has signed the best FA's out there, you know that because they are paid so much money, they must be good because Linden allowed those signings and if Linden allows them they must be good.

It is just an accident that there is no cap room and that the fans can't understand that the team must be a loser for another 3 or 4 years so one of the top 6 picks makes the team.

Ridiculous that anyone is at fault here especially Jim, it is just bad luck, karma.

Koombaya, koombaya.

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

But, but, but it is not Jim's fault, he can't be that bad, it is the owner's fault, yeah, it is his fault. There is no way that a rookie GM didn't turn out to be brilliant or a rookie president isn't a genius, that's Linden, he can do no wrong, he is perfect. 

Jim is a scouting genius, just look at how good he did before the internet way back in 2003, 14 years ago, the last time he was a scout or in charge of scouting.

It is not Jim's fault that his high draft picks aren't as good as everyone else's, he got Boeser, the guy that was ranked 23rd in that draft, a player those other GM's missed, who would he have taken at #5? Look at all the AHL players that he has given a chance in the NHL, isn't that good? He is a drafting GM, even though he has traded away 17 draft picks.

Just look at how all his friends and family and old hockey buddies he has given jobs, just like in Edmonton. Oops, some of that is on Linden

Jim has the most prospects in Canuck history, that haven't made the team in 4 years, so the pool is big now. Heck he has the most prospects in the NHL that haven't made their teams in 4 years. Well I did forget about McCann and Forsling and Tryamkin.

Jim has signed the best FA's out there, you know that because they are paid so much money, they must be good because Linden allowed those signings and if Linden allows them they must be good.

It is just an accident that there is no cap room and that the fans can't understand that the team must be a loser for another 3 or 4 years so one of the top 6 picks makes the team.

Ridiculous that anyone is at fault here especially Jim, it is just bad luck, karma.

Koombaya, koombaya.

But those 17 draft picks traded went into project players!

Canucks get one or two shiny prospects and the fanbase is now okay with Benning's horrendous cap and asset management.  The overall quality of this prospect pool is not as good as everyone is making it out to be.  For a team that has been bad dating back to 2013-2014, half the young players/prospects are questionable to say the least.  

We still don't have a #1D prospect, or even a top pairing prospect - many argue Juolevi is primed to be a #3/4 reliable second pairing defenseman.  Other than Juolevi, we have some castoffs and longshots in Briesbois and Chatfield and...?  Pouilot/Stecher have been good and bad, both are not tracking to be a top four defenseman.  Our D looks extremely poor for the future because Benning has been targeting project players and wasting picks instead of developing top 4 defenseman, he prefers to go after guys like Linden Vey and Andrey Pedan.

We still dont have a #1C prospect. A lot of people don't think Petterson will be able to play center, and he has only played center for Vaxjo for like 3-4 games, hard to say if that will translate. Forward prospects look decent, with Boeser, Petterson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Goldobin, Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich, etc.  However, this looks like a quantity over quality prospect pool.  Only Boeser and Petterson are considered a blue chip prospect, the rest are projected to be complimentary top nine forwards. We need more QUALITY prospects, not quantity of prospects. We missed the boat when we didn't ship off guys like Hamhuis, Higgins, Vrbata, Richardson, Matthias, Miller and potentially Tanev/Edler to hoard picks like a currency.  We also wasted a lot of picks and prospects on guys like Baertschi, Vey, Pedan, Gudbranson, Clendening, and Dorsett in order to be "competitive". 

In an alternative universe, we would have gotten picks for these players before their value plummeted to zero and not have wasted picks and prospects on these average, non value adding players. In that Universe, we could have had another 10-15 more picks/prospects and more cap space available to us to use as currency for quality players.  For example, Teuvo Teravainen and Bryan Bickell went for a 2nd and a 3rd.  Teuvo Teravainen now has 39 points in 49 games, would be second in scoring on the Canucks. Carolina absorbed cap space and used picks to their advantage to acquire a young top line forward.  Instead, we used that cap space and picks for guys like Vey (2nd), Pedan (3rd) and cap space for someone like Eriksson (6M). :o

Even if a good majority of prospects pan out, we still won't be a Stanley Cup contender for another 3-4 years.  NHL is all about depth, you can have superstars and never win (WSH with OV, Backstrom, Kuznetsov).  We don't have depth on the back-end and our only NHL forwards worth talking about in 2 years is Horvat and Boeser - we still need to fill out the other 11 spots.

44 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

And that's why JB or whoever the GM will be should go out and overpay for Evander Kane, right?

1 minute ago, joe-max said:

And that's why JB or whoever the GM will be should go out and overpay for Evander Kane, right?

Benning sign Kane? NO WAY, Kane is much too young, he isn't over 30 yet, only guys over 30 get the big bucks, the guys on the downside of their careers. :o

Did you realized that Miller and Vanek were Benning draft guys from Buffalo? Eriksson from his Boston job? Vrbata scouted by his dad. Vanek is the best signing but he wants to go to a playoff contender hence the very low salary, easily picked up at the TDL. I am sure there is a gentleman's agreement that he goes for whatever to the best playoff chance.;)

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

Aqualinis/management didn't sign up for any rebuild..period..until last year. (Gillis tried in 2014,and was subsequently fired)....You are also simultaneously complaining about not rebuilding like Toronto and poor results in the standings....Classic.

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

So hey

Let us trade picks and prospects abd compete for mediocrity instead!

It has worked for the last 47 years so why not now?

Anyways.  I have to assume your post is a long winded attempt at sarcasm because it is not only wrong but laughably stupid and 47 years of 0 success vs doing a proper rebuild under benning confirm that.

Ps.  Boston is successful via Bennings drafting and assistant management.  Toronto has dradted top 10 all but 3 of the last 12 years.  Colorado has drafted equally as high since sakic retired and you are complaining that Benning is getting nothing done after his 3rd draft after taking over a team with 0 depth.  0 prospects.  0 freedom via NTCs and ugly contracts to aging players.

So...you are wrong.  But hey great rant anyway

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Benning sign Kane? NO WAY, Kane is much too young, he isn't over 30 yet, only guys over 30 get the big bucks, the guys on the downside of their careers. :o

Did you realized that Miller and Vanek were Benning draft guys from Buffalo? Eriksson from his Boston job? Vrbata scouted by his dad. Vanek is the best signing but he wants to go to a playoff contender hence the very low salary, easily picked up at the TDL. I am sure there is a gentleman's agreement that he goes for whatever to the best playoff chance.;)

Miller was a good signing. Vrbata had a great first year. Are you saying Benning is blinded by personal relations to or history with players? Put it that way: in these cases he knows what he gets and wants to mix high-risk-high-reward projects like Vey, Burmistrov, Markstrom, Baertschi with low-risk moves.

If Vanek turns into a draft pick, JB did exactly what people call for: sign players cheap, flip them for picks, make room for youngsters.

40 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ps.  Boston is successful via Bennings drafting and assistant management.  Toronto has dradted top 10 all but 3 of the last 12 years.  Colorado has drafted equally as high since sakic retired and you are complaining that Benning is getting nothing done after his 3rd draft after taking over a team with 0 depth.  0 prospects.  0 freedom via NTCs and ugly contracts to aging players.

Benning was promoted from scouting in Boston in 2006, someone else was in charge of scouting. He did like the Sequin trade. This is on youtube.

NTC's which ones did have trouble moving? Hamhuis? Who he didn't approach until 1 week before the TDL? Garrison's?, Bieska's, Burrows'? Sure he inherited the Sedins contracts but management has stated many times they would not be traded anyway.

What about his clause contracts he made? Eriksson, Sutter, Tanev, Miller,

So the team now has lots of players not on the team or even on the team's development squad? Like posted earlier, this team has more prospects than any other NHL team that have not made the team and so have more prospects than any other NHL team and the prize is? Sure helped them this year and next year there will be only one to two spots they may challenge for as there are a lot of vets still on contract.

It is okay though, nothing is Benning or management's fault, it is all Gillis fault, the two president cups, the cup finals, the division and conference champs and the owner's fault for not instituting an internal cap and letting them spend over 90 mil and getting nothing in return for those players Linden/Benning signed. 

20 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Benning was promoted from scouting in Boston in 2006, someone else was in charge of scouting. He did like the Sequin trade. This is on youtube.

NTC's which ones did have trouble moving? Hamhuis? Who he didn't approach until 1 week before the TDL? Garrison's?, Bieska's, Burrows'? Sure he inherited the Sedins contracts but management has stated many times they would not be traded anyway.

What about his clause contracts he made? Eriksson, Sutter, Tanev, Miller,

So the team now has lots of players not on the team or even on the team's development squad? Like posted earlier, this team has more prospects than any other NHL team that have not made the team and so have more prospects than any other NHL team and the prize is? Sure helped them this year and next year there will be only one to two spots they may challenge for as there are a lot of vets still on contract.

It is okay though, nothing is Benning or management's fault, it is all Gillis fault, the two president cups, the cup finals, the division and conference champs and the owner's fault for not instituting an internal cap and letting them spend over 90 mil and getting nothing in return for those players Linden/Benning signed. 

Ya...not sure you're the kinda expert to refute things.

Last 3-4 posts claiming bad cintracts.  Asset management etc are clear indications of people that have never built anything in their lives.  Let alone had to renovate or fix something

Let's leave it there shall we

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

So hey

Let us trade picks and prospects abd compete for mediocrity instead!

It has worked for the last 47 years so why not now?

Anyways.  I have to assume your post is a long winded attempt at sarcasm because it is not only wrong but laughably stupid and 47 years of 0 success vs doing a proper rebuild under benning confirm that.

So...you are wrong.  But hey great rant anyway

23k posts and can't come up with a coherent argument.  Am I surprised?  Most Canuck fans are dumb as a rock - many on CDC as well.

What is a "proper rebuild" under Benning?

Signing Eriksson for 6M x 6 years?

Signing Gagner and Delzotto to multi year deals?
Trading prospects for trash players like Clendening, Vey, Pedan, Gudbranson, and more?

Boston is not successful to Bennings drafting and assistant management. Most of my Boston's shrewd moves were AFTER Benning departed, including: McAvoy, Pastrnak, Heinen, DeBrusk, Nash, Bjork and Carlo. Benning had inside scoop in the 2014 draft and probably knew Boston liked Pastrnak, but instead selected McCann over Pastrnak, another massive failure.

Toronto never committed to a full rebuild until Shanahan came.  Phil Kessel trade... enough said.

Colorado was the worst team in the cap era last year.  They made a bunch of great moves in the past two years including: Kerfot, Rantanen, Nieto, Compher, Andrighetto, Yakupov, and Girard.  These were either great draft picks or cheap value signings that helped the team rebound this year.

Benning has done nothing in 4 years outside of Boeser, Petterson and Juolevi. As a rebuilding team, you should be getting top prospects, so I don't give him any credit for sucking so bad into top prospects.  

I won't expect an intellectual response because you sound like the Canucks homer that will defend anything and accept mediocrity.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Aqualinis/management didn't sign up for any rebuild..period..until last year. (Gillis tried in 2014,and was subsequently fired)....You are also simultaneously complaining about not rebuilding like Toronto and poor results in the standings....Classic.

I am complaining about the usage of draft capital and cap space, if you were reading the post of course.

Even if you re-tool on the fly, it doesn't mean you have to hand out countless bad contracts to aging veterans.  It doesn't mean you waste a lot of draft capital on "project" players with low upside.

The Canucks will finish bottom 3 for their 3rd straight year this year.  They have spent to the cap every single year.  Imagine a company that pays their employee  significantly above market salary for 3 consecutive years yielding piss poor results. That's what the Aquilinis see, which is also why Jim Benning has not been re-signed, and I wager won't be.

Archived